Former Gator commit, Schuyler Rimmer, transfers to Florida

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know threads about Meatchicken's new HC, or Johnny Manziel, or the Bucs getting the #1 draft pick or what Mike Tomlin had to say seem very important, just surprised this hasn't been poster.

Thoughts?

One-time Florida Gators 2013 commitment Schuyler Rimmer never wound up playing for the team out of high school, deciding six weeks after initially pledging to the program that he would reopen his recruitment.
It appears as if Rimmer has found a way to suit up for the Gators after all as he announced Sunday evening that he plans to transfer to Florida.
OnlyGators.com has confirmed that Rimmer will walk on to the UF basketball team, as first reported by ESPN.com‘s Jeff Borzello. He is expected to join the program in January as a mid-season transfer.
“So excited to continue my career at the University of Florida! It’s a great day to be a gator!” he wrote Sunday evening on his Twitter account.

Rimmer (6-foot-10, 255 pounds), a three-star prospect, eventually committed to Stanford but saw limited action with the Cardinal, playing just 69 minutes during the 2013-14 season. He scored seven points, grabbed nine boards and went 3-for-9 from the field (1-for-7 from the charity stripe) in 14 games, playing just one minute in the Sweet 16 round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Rimmer played six minutes over Stanford’s first two games of the 2014-15 campaign but has not seen the court since.
As with redshirt sophomore forward Alex Murphy, a transfer from Duke in January 2014, the Gators will look to get Rimmer eligible next fall but will likely face an uphill battle with the NCAA. He should be eligible to practice immediately, however.
UF has not announced Rimmer’s transfer or inclusion in the program.
Florida has also not yet announced its four-member 2015 recruiting class despite two players – four-star power forward Noah Dickerson (Montverde, FL) and three-star PF Kevarrius Hayes (Live Oak, FL) – having submitted their National Letters of Intent. The Gators are still waiting on a letter from four-star guard KeVaughn Allen (Little Rock, AR), who decided to not sign his NLI until the spring as Arkansas continues to push for his services. Three-star small forward Keith Stone (Deerfield Beach, FL) always planned to sign late.
Not expected to have a scholarship available (UF will be over the scholarship count after signing its class, pending defections), head coach Billy Donovan likely told Rimmer the only way he would be able to transfer is as a walk on. He could be given a scholarship at a later date if ability dictates and space allows.

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/12/28/201...transfer-to-florida-as-walk-on/#ixzz3NGdpQIzK
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So is KeVaughn supposed to be pronounced KEE-vahn or Ka-VAHN?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's good news, even though he seems to have been a non-factor at Stanford. I'm sure Billy will welcome a 6'10 walk-on any day.

crosscreekcooter;n138585 said:
So is KeVaughn supposed to be pronounced KEE-vahn or Ka-VAHN?

Yes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is a nice pick up. We really need kevaughn Allen to sign. We need some back court depth. And the kid is a stud. I wonder if Devon walker decides to transfer to make room for him. Either way I think we will be contenders next year.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139234 said:
I wonder if Devon walker decides to transfer to make room for him.
Why do you think he would transfer? If he hadn't blown his knee out before the season started he'd be getting serious minutes right now. It's not like he was expected to ride the pine this year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n139256 said:
Why do you think he would transfer? If he hadn't blown his knee out before the season started he'd be getting serious minutes right now. It's not like he was expected to ride the pine this year.
With a healthy roster he probably wouldn't be. We've seen guys mysteriously transfer to make room for better players. Alot more common in basketball. Next year with Frazier hill Carter chiozza and Allen. I don't see Walker getting too much minutes in that backcourt

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139263 said:
With a healthy roster he probably wouldn't be. We've seen guys mysteriously transfer to make room for better players. Alot more common in basketball. Next year with Frazier hill Carter chiozza and Allen. I don't see Walker getting too much minutes in that backcourt

Walker's 6'6" and getting bigger - he's a good handle for his size which is why he got used so much at the guard spot last year when we needed help during Scottie's suspension and Hill's injury. Heck, I remember one game where Frazier and/or Finney-Smith were bringing the ball up, sometimes with Walker. Devon should primarily be a swingman now that we have plenty of guards, and he's also one of our best defenders. There will always be a spot for good defender on Billy's team.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139263 said:

Listed as a G/F....sorry, but I see him more as a small forward than any sort of guard. Granted, he's only 6'6" but that guy isn't going to be running the point (Chiozza, Hill) and really isn't a perfect choice at 2 when we've got those other guys.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think think he's a bad ball player by any means he was also a highschool track star. I was just doing the math in my head and if Chris walker is back next year( which it appears to be the case) they're going to have to make room for some of these offers. I don't think they would wanna miss out on a player like Allen.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139281 said:
I don't think think he's a bad ball player by any means he was also a highschool track star. I was just doing the math in my head and if Chris walker is back next year( which it appears to be the case) they're going to have to make room for some of these offers. I don't think they would wanna miss out on a player like Allen.

Then we should lose a random G. There's plenty of room for Walker on our roster.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139263 said:

You just listed two PGs and two SGs. DeVon is going to be a SF when he gets healthy again. And speaking of a healthy roster, the fact that he blew his ACL is a huge reason why the roster isn't healthy in the first place. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n139288 said:
You just listed two PGs and two SGs. DeVon is going to be a SF when he gets healthy again. And speaking of a healthy roster, the fact that he blew his ACL is a huge reason why the roster isn't healthy in the first place. :lol:
Ok well Robinson and Finney smith Frazier plays the 3 some. If he's on the roster next year he won't get much pt:lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139309 said:
Ok well Robinson and Finney smith Frazier plays the 3 some. If he's on the roster next year he won't get much pt:lol:

Frazier literally plays 2 about 99% of the time. DFS is more of a stretch 4. I think the only time he would play 3 is if Horford and Chris Walker were on the floor with him at the same time, and I don't think that ever happens. Robinson still has a long way to go. DeVon Walker's a great defender with lots of upside on the offensive end, he'll get plenty of playing time next year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n139310 said:
Frazier literally plays 2 about 99% of the time. DFS is more of a stretch 4. I think the only time he would play 3 is if Horford and Chris Walker were on the floor with him at the same time, and I don't think that ever happens. Robinson still has a long way to go. DeVon Walker's a great defender with lots of upside on the offensive end, he'll get plenty of playing time next year.

hes pretty solid on the defensive end but he's a liability on the offensive side of floor. And who do you think is playing the 3 when chiozza hill and Frazier are on the floor or earlier when Frazier and Carter was playing together. Robinson will be an all conference player next year imo . Serious question why are we taking commitments if we aren't going to make room?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139317 said:
hes pretty solid on the defensive end but he's a liability on the offensive side of floor. And who do you think is playing the 3 when chiozza hill and Frazier are on the floor or earlier when Frazier and Carter was playing together. Robinson will be an all conference player next year imo . Serious question why are we taking commitments if we aren't going to make room?

We rarely go with that small lineup anymore because we've gotten healthier and deeper as the season has gone on. If Walker hadn't torn his ACL, he would have been starting at the 3 spot all season instead of Robinson and Kurtz.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n139317 said:
Serious question why are we taking commitments if we aren't going to make room?

You take commitments from the guys you want as you never know who will decide to leave for the NBA after one or two years (Harvey, Speights, Beal), Europe (Calathes, Drejer), transfer (Lucas, Ogbueze), fail to meet team requirements (Harris), or not cut it academically (can't think of any, but Francis of the 2014 class obviously has some issues he's working through). We spent a couple of years in the NIT because we lost Calathes and Speights after only 2 years. It's better to have too many commitments than not enough and figure out the roster issues afterwards (some players will get the hint, ala Graham, and others will find out the hard way if there is no more room for them - scholarships aren't guaranteed from year to year). Rimmer will be a walk-on, so that is a win-win to a get a 6'10" player who showed promise at a Billy camp when he was in HS, without using a scholarship.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Rimmer is a great pick up. Not only does he have an awsome last name but I think he'll be a pretty solid player down low. I also read that Francis is now practicing with the team , he's not eligible to play this year but he's enrolled and practicing. Add him to the mix aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator