Gator Baseball Former UF pitcher Darren O'Day makes big donation for new stadium

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Cool story. I've seen him pitch a couple of times here in DC.

Big Leaguer Darren O'Day Pitches In Financially on Gators' New Baseball Stadium

https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/15/scott-carter-o-day-commits-to-pitch-in-on-new-stadium.aspx

OMAHA, Neb. – Darren O'Day is spending the weekend where he spends much of his summer, hanging out in the bullpen at Camden Yards until the phone rings. An 11-year major league veteran, O'Day's Baltimore Orioles are hosting the Miami Marlins in a three-game series. He tossed a scoreless inning in Friday night's opener.

In his seventh season with the Orioles, O'Day is a right-handed reliever who has appeared in 573 big league games. O'Day's story is a good one.

The former Gators pitcher, who enrolled at UF on an academic scholarship, didn't make the team as a freshman walk-on. He tried again the next year – after lowering to a submarine-style delivery – and over the next four seasons became a workhorse out of the bullpen, highlighted by 8 1/3 scoreless innings at the 2005 College World Series here at old Rosenblatt Stadium.

More than a decade into his professional career, O'Day continues to keep a close eye on the Gators. The Orioles hosted Boston on Monday night as the Gators played Auburn at McKethan Stadium for a trip to the CWS.

O'Day was taking a postgame shower when Austin Langworthy sent the defending national champion Gators back to Omaha with a game-winning walk-off home run. O'Day couldn't contain his excitement.

"I ran around the clubhouse screaming, so yeah, I was pretty excited,'' he said Thursday on a rare off day. "What an ending. I've been on both sides of that. I know what that feels like."

What a win @GatorsBB!! Way to punch that ticket to Omaha!

— Darren O'Day (@DODay56) June 12, 2018

The 35-year-old O'Day grew up in Jacksonville and played at Bishop Kenny High. Undrafted following his senior season at UF in 2006, O'Day signed as a free agent with the Angels and made his major league debut on March 31, 2008. After brief stints with the Angels and Mets, O'Day solidified his place in the majors with the Rangers, pitching in the 2010 World Series.

He joined the Orioles in 2012 and prior to the 2016 season, signed a four-year, $31 million contract. When O'Day heard about Florida's plans to build a new $50 million baseball stadium that is set to open prior to the 2020 season, he wanted to pitch in.

"Being a Florida Gator is a point of pride. I think if the former players can stay invested and help support it, it's only going to help perpetuate that cycle of guys going from the University of Florida into the major leagues and being successful and giving back."

O'Day recently committed to a significant Leadership Gift through Gator Boosters for the naming rights to, well, the bullpen of course.

"I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be playing pro baseball and have the ability to make a gift to the university if it wasn't for that baseball program,'' O'Day said. "It was an important period in my life, learning to be an adult, A, and learning how to be a baseball player. I learned a lot on both sides of that from people who influenced me in the Florida baseball program.

"Now, with all the success the program is having, it's easy wanting to stay a part of it."

O'Day played for the Gators under former head coach Pat McMahon. However, he has gotten to know UF head coach Kevin O'Sullivan over the years and has worked out at UF during the offseason with O'Sullivan's help.

The Gators are playing in the CWS for a school-record fourth consecutive year and face Texas Tech on Sunday night at 7 ET.

O'Day, an American League All-Star in 2015, is impressed by the talent O'Sullivan and his staff recruit year in and year out.

"I'm not even sure I could make the team anymore,'' he said. "You think I'm joking. I'm not sure I would even get a look to get on the team because I don't throw 95, 97 that all these kids are throwing today. It's fun to watch but it's just a different level of talent than it seemed like we had in college baseball when I was there."

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"I'm not even sure I could make the team anymore,'' he said. "You think I'm joking. I'm not sure I would even get a look to get on the team because I don't throw 95, 97 that all these kids are throwing today. It's fun to watch but it's just a different level of talent than it seemed like we had in college baseball when I was there."

Is that a bad pitch ?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's making $9,000,000 a year now as a 35 year-old right-handed short reliever. He's hit life's jackpot. Stricklin should feel no shame in asking him to chip in for the football facilities as well.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's making $9,000,000 a year now as a 35 year-old right-handed short reliever. He's hit life's jackpot. Stricklin should feel no shame in asking him to chip in for the football facilities as well.

:bwahaha:

That's not how it works. They take "football" donations and spend elsewhere....especially when it comes to facilities. No way are they taking from baseball and giving to football around these parts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb