Former UF WR Kyle Morgan commits suicide

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was reading about this last night. Haven't seen any news about finding him. That's really terrible if true.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Was reading about this last night. Haven't seen any news about finding him. That's really terrible if true.
Yea, his sister told some of the close friends they found him deceased and are planning the remembrance.

ProcrastiGATOR

2019 GatorChatter March Madness Bracket CHAMPION!
Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2015
He was a good friend of mine in college. We lost a great guy. His brother gave this post on FB to raise awareness to the situation...

Attachments

• Kyle Morgan.jpeg
    Kyle Morgan.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 858

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was a good friend of mine in college. We lost a great guy. His brother gave this post on FB to raise awareness to the situation...
Damn, that sucks. Sorry for your loss and for his family as well.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Copied from another board:

gatorfan228 said: ↑
From Kyles brother Jimmy:

Thank you all for your prayers. It has been a sad, sad few days. In light of our tragic loss, our family requests privacy but we felt it was important to share some details of Kyle’s death.

Kyle was the best - an incredible athlete, a loyal friend, and the life of any party. Several years ago, Kyle sought relief from chronic pain associated with old football injuries. He was prescribed opioids and the slow decline began. Prescription opioids compromised his decision making process. Kyle needed help and wanted help, but the overwhelming shame and emotional pain he felt impeded his ability to communicate with family and friends. When we confronted his behavior, he deflected blame and told us what we wanted to hear. If you were to see Kyle out on the town or at a wedding, you would have never known the internal battle he was fighting. Kyle took his own life after losing that battle.

Prescription opioids can have devastating impacts on those who use and abuse them. It’s an epidemic that isn’t just someone else’s problem - it was Kyle’s problem. It’s our problem. Our family hopes that you can prevent it from being your loved one’s problem.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Terrible news.......we are battling this killing thousands a day and here the FDA approves something 1000x more powerful than morphine

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Very unfortunate for sure. Problem is the crisis is causing problems for people who legitimately need pain relief....

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Very unfortunate for sure. Problem is the crisis is causing problems for people who legitimately need pain relief....

After numerous years of observation, I’d say the 95% of questionable opioid use prescriptions are ruining it for the 5% legitimate prescriptions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Opioid abuse is a nightmare in this country and politicians and pharmaceutical companies are to blame.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Terrible news.......we are battling this killing thousands a day and here the FDA approves something 1000x more powerful than morphine

This isn't a drug that is intended for outpatient prescriptions. This is a drug that has an intended use for inpatient and medically observed settings. I'm not saying that some can't be stolen and used for illicit purposes, but there are legitimate reasons for these drugs. I've spent time on burn wards where children and adults spend months with >50% body surface area burns and need to be scrubbed and debrided daily. Its exceptionally intense/excruciating pain for a a brief period (as fast as you can go) of time. The pain relief needs to be very strong, and very fast onset and very fast clearance otherwise, you just can't see or take care of very many patients. If you use something like morphine to a dose effective enough tolerate this kind of debridement, a minute or so after finishing the debridement, there is still going to be very high concentrations of active narcotic and they are going to stop breathing. This is obviously just one example.

There's no question that narcotics are over prescribed. There should always be a plan for weaning as soon as possible. In my mind, narcotics are good for acute pain that will get better such as post surgery, post trauma, etc. Narcotics should be a last resort for chronic pain and only used for acute flares or after every alternative has been exhausted. Physicians need to explain to patients that anyone on long term narcotics will develop dependency and addiction. There are obviously instances where this outcome is still preferable to the suffering endured without it (e.g. end stage cancer).

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sad news. The circumstances are all too common, unfortunately.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. I've spent time on burn wards where children and adults spend months with >50% body surface area burns and need to be scrubbed and debrided daily. Its exceptionally intense/excruciating pain for a a brief period (as fast as you can go) of time.
Id shovel shyt for a living before I did that job. It takes a special person to handle that work.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
There's no question that narcotics are over prescribed. There should always be a plan for weaning as soon as possible. In my mind, narcotics are good for acute pain that will get better such as post surgery, post trauma, etc. Narcotics should be a last resort for chronic pain and only used for acute flares or after every alternative has been exhausted. Physicians need to explain to patients that anyone on long term narcotics will develop dependency and addiction. There are obviously instances where this outcome is still preferable to the suffering endured without it (e.g. end stage cancer).

I hear that a lot especially from people who have never suffered from chronic pain on a daily basis. I had back surgery and they did a 4-5 lumbar fusion. They completely removed a disk and installed a cage with cadaver bone and installed rods and screws to fuse the bone together. I was supposed to be fixed and pain free. I have never been the same and I have chronic back, leg and foot pain 24/7 365 that makes sleeping extremely difficult and limits everything I do. They (the V.A.) will not help me and when I did take pills some time ago, I was treated like crap by anyone in the medical field who knew it. If I could somehow transfer my pain into my doctors body for a few hours, he would be throwing prescriptions at me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t forget the docs. Every prescription is signed by a doc at the bottom.

Truly and honestly, the doctor is hamstrung. They can’t write topicals because topicals aren’t covered. The patients are in pain and they have to give them something to relieve the pain. We are starting to see a little bit of a turn in the tide with legalization of marijuana. That will go a long way. There are a lot of things that could be researched and done to relieve pain. But there’s no money in cures. Only treating symptoms.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
In Florida opioid prescriptions are very tightly controlled. My GP can’t even write them and it pisses him off because he can’t even give his older patients a 5 day supply. You have to go to a pain clinic and they control it too. They can’t write more than a certain amount each month and they do random urine tests.
Even if you were to get the scripts the pharmacies check the database and won’t fill more than the monthly limit.
The pendulum has swung and it has become a little over board with control of sleeping pills like Ambien.
As my GP says nobody breaks into a pharmacy to steal Ambien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator