Four Consecutive SEC Titles

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
These Gator Girls are something special! Go Gators!!

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
It's so difficult to repeat, and even more so in the ultra competitive SEC. Hope this will translate into post-season success. They'll need more bats, Kelly can't do it all. And speaking of Kelly, she has surrendered 16 homers this season after only 11 the past TWO seasons. As the announcer said, she doesn't give up many hits but when she does a high percentage of them leave the yard. Last night 4 hits of which 2 were absolute bombs; and uncharacteristically only 4 K's. She's having a dominating season but I just find that an odd stat.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
It's so difficult to repeat, and even more so in the ultra competitive SEC. Hope this will translate into post-season success. They'll need more bats, Kelly can't do it all. And speaking of Kelly, she has surrendered 16 homers this season after only 11 the past TWO seasons. As the announcer said, she doesn't give up many hits but when she does a high percentage of them leave the yard. Last night 4 hits of which 2 were absolute bombs; and uncharacteristically only 4 K's. She's having a dominating season but I just find that an odd stat.
Teams are getting better at timing her fast riseball. She needs to develop an offspeed pitch if she wants to reach the heights she wants to as a world class pitcher. I think the fact that some umps have been calling her for illegal pitches has made her a more self-conscious this year; thus her location is a little off sometimes. Experts in women's softball say her delivery is NOT illegal under international or professional rules, but is illegal in college, and that has to play with her head a little when her delivery is OK with some umps and illegal with others. That said, she's an awesome pitcher who can dominate; but the number of home runs she's allowed this year is concerning, especially heading to the post season. They miss Delaney Gourley tremendously, as Ocasio has had a down senior season by her standards, as she has 6 losses on the mound and is only batting .238. I agree that if this team, as good as it is, is going to challenge Oklahoma, UCLA and Oregon for a national title, the bats are going to have to produce more than they have during most of this season. But I love watching the camaraderie effort and fun Coach Walton gets out of his players.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Teams are getting better at timing her fast riseball. She needs to develop an offspeed pitch if she wants to reach the heights she wants to as a world class pitcher. I think the fact that some umps have been calling her for illegal pitches has made her a more self-conscious this year; thus her location is a little off sometimes. Experts in women's softball say her delivery is NOT illegal under international or professional rules, but is illegal in college, and that has to play with her head a little when her delivery is OK with some umps and illegal with others. That said, she's an awesome pitcher who can dominate; but the number of home runs she's allowed this year is concerning, especially heading to the post season. They miss Delaney Gourley tremendously, as Ocasio has had a down senior season by her standards, as she has 6 losses on the mound and is only batting .238. I agree that if this team, as good as it is, is going to challenge Oklahoma, UCLA and Oregon for a national title, the bats are going to have to produce more than they have during most of this season. But I love watching the camaraderie effort and fun Coach Walton gets out of his players.

Can you imagine Kelly with a world class changeup to match her fastball? That would be so nasty. Totally agree about the illegal pitch issue. Last night the camera just happened to cut to the Missouri coach as she was questioning the 3rd base umpire about it. It definitely affects her performance. I was thinking about Gourley earlier, how she was a legit #1 starter to go along with Kelly, but the drop-off from Kelly to Leelee is substantial and then no-one after her. As Kelly goes so will the team. But they are so fun to watch.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Read an interview with Barnhill in sports illustrated. She said she is working on the off speed pitches and Gourley really taught her how to throw one. Barnhill said Gourleys change up was the best.

Great accomplishment given the sec is really a tough conference.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
was watching a game a couple of weeks ago where she threw a strike with a changeup.... She had a large grin :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.