Franks living w/ Appleby.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is this a good thing?

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...in-appleby-feleipe-franks-kyle-trask-progress

Former Gators QB Austin Appleby living with Feleipe Franks, offers insight on QBs’ progress

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Former Florida quarterback Austin Appleby has maintained a presence around the Gators’ practice field this spring, going through his own preparations while remaining hopeful for a chance to play professionally.

In the meantime, he’s kept an eye on Florida redshirt freshman quarterbacks Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask and has been impressed with their progress from last year.

With Franks in particular, Appleby has an even deeper connection than he did before as the second-year QB has moved in with the former Gators starter and his other roommates this spring.

“I was away. I kind of came back and said, ‘Oh, hey Feleipe,’ and he was like, ‘Yeah, I moved in,’ ” Appleby recalled.

Their other roommates are Florida punters Johnny Townsend and Tommy Townsend and walk-on Harry Gornto V.

In addition to asking him questions around the house, Appleby says Franks has made use of his presence at spring practice too.

“When I come to practice, he’ll come over to me real quick like, ‘Hey man, how do I read this? What do you think? It’s the same thing it was when we were out on the field,” Appleby said.

That being said, Appleby thinks both Franks and Trask have made considerable strides in their command of the offense and all the pre-snap responsibilities that go into playing the position.

“(They have) all the arm talent in the world. You guys go out and see the way the ball comes out of their hands — it’s ungodly. Now they’ve got to learn to play the position,” Appleby said. “Throwing the ball 80 yards doesn’t necessarily mean you can play quarterback, and the way that they’ve grown and been able to grasp the complexity of Mac’s offense, of Nuss’ offense, through the reps, the only way to get it is doing the reps, getting that picture again and again and again and being able to figure out the things you’ve got to look at to get your eyes through the progression quick. …

“Now they’re in there with the opportunity to go with the 1s and 2s every single day. I think it’s the best thing for not only our coaching staff but for those young guys because this is their opportunity. We’re going to know where they’re at coming out of camp.”

Florida fans are hoping that outcome is a positive one as they pine for one of those young QBs to emerge as the future at the position for the Gators. They are getting every opportunity to seize that role with veteran Luke Del Rio, who split starts with Appleby last season, sidelined this spring while recovering from a pair of shoulder procedures.

Coach Jim McElwain said Franks and Trask looked good throwing the deep ball in a scrimmage last week, but there were some missed intermediate throws and an interception in the red zone.

Appleby, meanwhile, says the development he’s seen from the two since last season has been undeniable.

“I was really, really encouraged with the things that I saw. (They) didn’t even know how to call the Mike (linebacker) out when we first got here. (They) didn’t know how to call a play when we first got here,” he said. “And the way that they’ve taken it upon themselves to ask questions to me and Luke (Del Rio) while they were redshirting, to watch how we prepare, to watch just how we go about even interacting with the media, to the way that we deal with the training room to your teammates, there’s so much more than just going out and throwing balls. It’s growing up to be able to lead a program like this, and they are so much farther along than even I thought they might be. Watching them practice, they’ve got such a command and presence about themselves, and it’s only going to grow. So I’m really excited for them.”

DSC_0050_igyjkw.jpg

Kyle Trask is competing with fellow redshirt freshman QB Feleipe Franks this spring. (Ryan Young/SEC Country)

Appleby, who started his collegiate career at Purdue before joining Florida last season as a graduate transfer, sympathized with the learning curve Franks and Trask faced as newcomers.

He says the complexity of the offense that McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier run puts more responsibility on the quarterback than a lot of college programs might.

It’s a learning process, and one in which he feels they’re making significant progress.

“It’s not like a spread offense where you just come in and you read the D-end and that’s it,” Appleby said. “You’ve got to be able to ID a Mike, you’ve got to be able to call hots out, you’ve got to be able to read middle-open, middle-closed defense and set your protections and read alerts and routes. There’s a lot going on. This is an NFL pro-style offense, and we don’t slow down. You’ve got to catch up and get with us, and the offense will go as the quarterback goes as much as we can handle. So it takes a year. … I wasn’t ready my redshirt year. I needed that year.”

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Reading this really makes me think that if LDR is able to go then he will be starting this ultra complex offense of ours.

I doubt Mac dumbed it down for Treon either.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't cancel the possibility that we may have Frask, a neck & neck competition. And that will be good in that if one gets a limp the other one can smoothly lead that offense. Rifle powered arms are the better talents to have since you cannot "teach" a 45 yard heaver to throw 60 or 70 yards. But a studious strong-arm QB ought to be able to hit his man at 10-20-35 yards. ?? Can't Franks also decently punt the ball, adding a quick-kick to our bag o' tricks.

Keep running slap dab into the same wall: 3rd year and where the program stands is a quandary? Redshirt freshmen Trask & Franks had better be in the top five QBs in the SEC (in stats).

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reading this really makes me think that if LDR is able to go then he will be starting this ultra complex offense of ours.

I doubt Mac dumbed it down for Treon either.
URG's gonna want you bet on it. :lol:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
:lmao:

I love his description of modern college offenses. The NFL has been complaining about it for years.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LDR will NEVER play another meaningful down for UF. I said the same thing months ago. He had his chance so not its time for one of the young guys to get it done baby!!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I always felt and it appeared that Mac and/or perhaps Nuss was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with some of these QB's especially Harris. If its that complex, your guy's not getting it, then you have to do something different. But anyway, should not hurt Franks cribbin with Appleby and the Townsends. Appleby could have been a decent QB. His flaw is repeatedly throwing to the wrong color jersey. If Franks can stay away from that tendency, he's already better. Nothing wrong with picking his brain about reads and coverages. AA just couldn't consistently produce there.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always felt and it appeared that Mac and/or perhaps Nuss was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with some of these QB's especially Harris. If its that complex, your guy's not getting it, then you have to do something different. But anyway, should not hurt Franks cribbin with Appleby and the Townsends. Appleby could have been a decent QB. His flaw is repeatedly throwing to the wrong color jersey. If Franks can stay away from that tendency, he's already better. Nothing wrong with picking his brain about reads and coverages. AA just couldn't consistently produce there.

If AA had a few more years in the system, he could have been decent. You can't expect much for a guy who was only with the team a few month, doesn't know his teammates or the system.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
AA just couldn't consistently produce there.
I havent looked at the numbers lately but off the top of my head I suspect in yards per game AA is probably the best QB we have had since Brantley if not Tebow. 300 hard games are pretty rare.

The biggest problem with the offense is the OC. Changing the number on the jersey of the QB wont ever change that.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If AA had a few more years in the system, he could have been decent. You can't expect much for a guy who was only with the team a few month, doesn't know his teammates or the system.
Agreed. I think the thing that stood out was it seemed he didn't kick the INT bug from Perdue.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. I think the thing that stood out was it seemed he didn't kick the INT bug from Perdue.

Yep, he panicked and would throw them. Will be a good developmental guy in the NFL, appears to have the arm talent. What ever NFL team he goes to, even their third team players will be the best line he has played behind.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I havent looked at the numbers lately but off the top of my head I suspect in yards per game AA is probably the best QB we have had since Brantly if not Tebow.

The biggest problem with the offense is the OC. Changing the number on the jersey of the QB wont ever change that.

Yes, I can see that. His INT"s were killers. SECCG could have been totally different. May not have won it but it sure would have been different.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rex and Wuerffel never did kick the int bug either. Of course they didnt play in a stone age offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm expecting LDR first then Zaire. It's going to be hard for Zaire to learn the play book in three weeks in August.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is this a good thing?

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...in-appleby-feleipe-franks-kyle-trask-progress

Former Gators QB Austin Appleby living with Feleipe Franks, offers insight on QBs’ progress

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Former Florida quarterback Austin Appleby has maintained a presence around the Gators’ practice field this spring, going through his own preparations while remaining hopeful for a chance to play professionally.

In the meantime, he’s kept an eye on Florida redshirt freshman quarterbacks Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask and has been impressed with their progress from last year.

Their other roommates are Florida punters Johnny Townsend and Tommy Townsend and walk-on Harry Gornto V.

In addition to asking him questions around the house, Appleby says Franks has made use of his presence at spring practice too.

“When I come to practice, he’ll come over to me real quick like, ‘Hey man, how do I read this? What do you think? It’s the same thing it was when we were out on the field,” Appleby said.

That being said, Appleby thinks both Franks and Trask have made considerable strides in their command of the offense and all the pre-snap responsibilities that go into playing the position.

“(They have) all the arm talent in the world. You guys go out and see the way the ball comes out of their hands — it’s ungodly. Now they’ve got to learn to play the position,” Appleby said. “Throwing the ball 80 yards doesn’t necessarily mean you can play quarterback, and the way that they’ve grown and been able to grasp the complexity of Mac’s offense, of Nuss’ offense, through the reps, the only way to get it is doing the reps, getting that picture again and again and again and being able to figure out the things you’ve got to look at to get your eyes through the progression quick. …

“Now they’re in there with the opportunity to go with the 1s and 2s every single day. I think it’s the best thing for not only our coaching staff but for those young guys because this is their opportunity. We’re going to know where they’re at coming out of camp.”

Florida fans are hoping that outcome is a positive one as they pine for one of those young QBs to emerge as the future at the position for the Gators. They are getting every opportunity to seize that role with veteran Luke Del Rio, who split starts with Appleby last season, sidelined this spring while recovering from a pair of shoulder procedures.

Coach Jim McElwain said Franks and Trask looked good throwing the deep ball in a scrimmage last week, but there were some missed intermediate throws and an interception in the red zone.

Appleby, meanwhile, says the development he’s seen from the two since last season has been undeniable.

“I was really, really encouraged with the things that I saw. (They) didn’t even know how to call the Mike (linebacker) out when we first got here. (They) didn’t know how to call a play when we first got here,” he said. “And the way that they’ve taken it upon themselves to ask questions to me and Luke (Del Rio) while they were redshirting, to watch how we prepare, to watch just how we go about even interacting with the media, to the way that we deal with the training room to your teammates, there’s so much more than just going out and throwing balls. It’s growing up to be able to lead a program like this, and they are so much farther along than even I thought they might be. Watching them practice, they’ve got such a command and presence about themselves, and it’s only going to grow. So I’m really excited for them.”

DSC_0050_igyjkw.jpg

Kyle Trask is competing with fellow redshirt freshman QB Feleipe Franks this spring. (Ryan Young/SEC Country)

Appleby, who started his collegiate career at Purdue before joining Florida last season as a graduate transfer, sympathized with the learning curve Franks and Trask faced as newcomers.

He says the complexity of the offense that McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier run puts more responsibility on the quarterback than a lot of college programs might.

It’s a learning process, and one in which he feels they’re making significant progress.

“It’s not like a spread offense where you just come in and you read the D-end and that’s it,” Appleby said. “You’ve got to be able to ID a Mike, you’ve got to be able to call hots out, you’ve got to be able to read middle-open, middle-closed defense and set your protections and read alerts and routes. There’s a lot going on. This is an NFL pro-style offense, and we don’t slow down. You’ve got to catch up and get with us, and the offense will go as the quarterback goes as much as we can handle. So it takes a year. … I wasn’t ready my redshirt year. I needed that year.”

This really stood out to me:

(They) didn’t even know how to call the Mike (linebacker) out when we first got here. (They) didn’t know how to call a play when we first got here,” he said

Just really speaks to how raw both of these kids are. Franks not having a QB coach and Trask not having any QB experience. To bring both of them in in the same year probably was not the best idea.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just really speaks to how raw both of these kids are. Franks not having a QB coach and Trask not having any QB experience. To bring both of them in in the same year probably was not the best idea.
Well, not sure I agree. If you are going to land projects, at any position, you should land as many as you can, and be ready to cut bait if it seems obvious they don't have the stuff.

If you mean it would have been better to recruit a better QB, I agree. However, that wasn't (and still isn't) in the cards. Allen is a huge project too.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LDR will NEVER play another meaningful down for UF. I said the same thing months ago. He had his chance so not its time for one of the young guys to get it done baby!!

I don't think he will ever play again. I think his shoulder is toast and even if it isn't they will use that as a reason he can't play and can just "coach" on the sideline.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think it is probably a good thing. I don't think it matters what Appleby's numbers were. It matters how good of a teacher he is, how mature he is, if he is able to convey to Franks the importance of how serious football at this level is, how well he can help Franks with the playbook.

I don't know Appleby or Franks, but my observation as a general fan is that Appleby is a level headed mature guy who is in grad school while Franks needs to gain a little in maturity. Also as far as I know the Townsend brothers are good guys.

You could room with a Heisman Trophy winner but if he's Johnny Manziel you could pick up some bad habits.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I seem to remember Urban changing the offense on the open week, but my memory is not that reliable so perhaps some other poster could confirm or deny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.