Franks named starter for Michigan game

emr25

Nov 18, 2015
Seems like Mac only made this announcement to divert some attention from the ongoing saga of suspension after suspension.

Regardless of the circumstances, Franks is the right choice and I hope to see him play every snap of every game this season (minus some limited wildcat wrinkles with Toney or Zaire or any 4th quarters with a huge lead, which are unlikely based on recent history).

Franks is the future of the program for at least two seasons (assuming Corral doesn't jump right in as a true freshman). Mac needs to have the guts to live or die by his most talented QB recruit, even if it means some more turnovers and potentially a loss or two more than expected. Enough of the QB and RB by committee approach, put your best guys out there and earn your paycheck!

3:30PM Saturday can't get here soon enough!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
PJ Fleck hands down should be the 1st call. Then Chip Kelly. Then Willie Taggart.

Bryan Harsin at Boise is the first call. Fleck ain't leaving Minnesota unless we're ready to pay a $15 million buyout (not sure exactly what it is, but it's huge). Fleck will need to prove himself at Minn first, so 2-3 years from now he could be going somewhere but you can rest assured Minnesota covered their ass w/ the buyout (like Colorado State did when they raped us).

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are funny thinking Mac is going anywhere. 2 years, 2 SEC East titles and in a position to go there again and land a top 5 class next year. Whatever alternate universe you are living in, please say hello to my ex wife!

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Bryan Harsin at Boise is the first call. Fleck ain't leaving Minnesota unless we're ready to pay a $15 million buyout (not sure exactly what it is, but it's huge). Fleck will need to prove himself at Minn first, so 2-3 years from now he could be going somewhere but you can rest assured Minnesota covered their ass w/ the buyout (like Colorado State did when they raped us).
PJ's buyout is $9M. If he's successful at Minnesota it doesn't matter. You make the call. We're either an elite program committed to winning or not.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Like I said, you contact Bryan Harsin first....
Harsin isn't UF material. He's also road Petersens coattails. He's Dan Hawkins 2.0 . Flecks buyout drops to like $5M after next year. That's chump change for the next urban Meyer.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know it's Gator football time when three days before kickoff you have threads with members yelling for Mac's head and the season hasn't even started yet. Man what a bunch of neurotic naysayers we are!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hardin isn't UF material. He's also road Petersens coattails. He's Dan Hawkins 2.0 .

Peterson is Dirk Koetter 2.0 (he started the run at Boise).

Harsin has a much better/proven record than Fleck has....but I'd put Fleck in our top 5 (of candidates), hell maybe even #2. But at this point I don't think he'd leave Minnesota after one year, plus I don't think we'd pay the buyout.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You know it's Gator football time when three days before kickoff you have threads with members yelling for Mac's head and the season hasn't even started yet. Man what a bunch of neurotic naysayers we are!

You should be calling for his head too after 9 of HIS players are involved in a university theft scandal. But I get it, the sunshine is always pumping somewhere....

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The only thing I'll say about that is he should have kicked Calloway off the team last year. I'm not pumping Sunshine I'm just not ready to put him on the coaching spit yet for hot foots....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You should be calling for his head too after 9 of HIS players are involved in a university theft scandal. But I get it, the sunshine is always pumping somewhere....

Come on. I'm not some sunshine pumper oblivious to the realities we face. But a couple of knuckleheads pulling some stupid stunt doesn't(and shouldn't) get a coach fired. At the end of the day, it's about wins and losses. Without question, he's entering a critical year for his future at UF. And if we disappoint, I'll be right there with you holding the pitchfork. If we're embarrassed in Dallas, my whole view of him will drastically change. But the fact is, as Drake points out, none of those things have even happened yet. I think we're so accustomed to misery, turnover and disarray, we just imagine it's as simple as canning one guy and starting again with another. And mind you, I've seen no names listed other than Kelly who've really proven anything to date.

The "Mac sucks" crowd may very well turn out to be right. But several of the ones leading the charge complained at every pass during Meyer's era, and even welcomed Muschamp as an alternative. I'm not entirely sold on him either, and may be joining the mob as soon as Sunday. But I'm not going to champion firing him before he's even begun his 3rd year. And if he had done better in his first few years, we'd be calling this legal issue exactly what it is. A player issue that should be dealt with and move on.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Come on. I'm not some sunshine pumper oblivious to the realities we face. But a couple of knuckleheads pulling some stupid stunt doesn't(and shouldn't) get a coach fired. At the end of the day, it's about wins and losses. Without question, he's entering a critical year for his future at UF. And if we disappoint, I'll be right there with you holding the pitchfork. If we're embarrassed in Dallas, my whole view of him will drastically change. But the fact is, as Drake points out, none of those things have even happened yet. I think we're so accustomed to misery, turnover and disarray, we just imagine it's as simple as canning one guy and starting again with another. And mind you, I've seen no names listed other than Kelly who've really proven anything to date.

The "Mac sucks" crowd may very well turn out to be right. But several of the ones leading the charge complained at every pass during Meyer's era, and even welcomed Muschamp as an alternative. I'm not entirely sold on him either, and may be joining the mob as soon as Sunday. But I'm not going to champion firing him before he's even begun his 3rd year. And if he had done better in his first few years, we'd be calling this legal issue exactly what it is. A player issue that should be dealt with and move on.

sofla, I like you....but you lost your whole point in the first couple of sentences: "But a couple of knuckleheads...."

It's not a "couple"....it's not three.....it's not four.....it's not five....it's not six.....it's not seven.....it's not eight.....it's NINE!!! AND COUNTING!!!!

I'm far from a "fire McElwain" guy....but I'm damn sure not happy with him. Throw out the 7 blowout losses in two years. The mediocre recruiting classes. The losses to FSU. The lack of development of a QB. I'm not happy about him losing the team! I'm not happy that he doesn't command the respect of HIS players. If this mess isn't cleaned up quickly and he can't get this team on track for a successful season, then - yes - his employment status needs to be evaluated. And I'd say it's easily justifiable to fire him "for cause" (meaning no buy out or compensation). HE is responsible for "institutional control" and he's evidently lost it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ever wonder why all the people who are blowing PJ Fleck, wonder if their opinions are based on that blowjob piece ESPN did for his last year. Because I'm sure they were following him before that. You know who got that same blowjob type piece in 2014 before they were hired from their lower tier school. Jim McElwain. Think about that while you are your enjoying your ESPN fluff pieces, are you going to jump all over whom every gets one this year as well?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
But a couple of knuckleheads pulling some stupid stunt
I appreciate that you are attempting to look at this from a rational view but this statement above is anything but. It wasn't a couple guys pulling a stupid stunt. That would be something like 2 or 3 players getting caught shooting BB guns on the quad or a couple of guys pulling a prank that went too far. This is not that.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The "on the fence" crowd is pretty large right now. I am one of them. I dont understand these players. Its not like Mac and crew arent preaching and teaching them to do the right thing. Young people make dumb decisions. I know first hand, I was a hellion. That being said, I never had the world at my feet like these kids do. They have scollies and are representing one of the countries top universities and have the opportunity to go on to make millions. They come here to play on the big stage yet they go out and blow it and get suspended or worse yet kicked out. I dont know the answer but to say the coaches arent doing what they can to steer them right just isnt true. Mac and crew are lacking in many areas but I believe they are pounding responsibility into the kids. Unfortunately kids will be kids. I hate the negative this brings to the university and I hope it doesnt cause division in the locker room.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The "on the fence" crowd is pretty large right now. I am one of them. I dont understand these players. Its not like Mac and crew arent preaching and teaching them to do the right thing. Young people make dumb decisions. I know first hand, I was a hellion. That being said, I never had the world at my feet like these kids do. They have scollies and are representing one of the countries top universities and have the opportunity to go on to make millions. They come here to play on the big stage yet they go out and blow it and get suspended or worse yet kicked out. I dont know the answer but to say the coaches arent doing what they can to steer them right just isnt true. Mac and crew are lacking in many areas but I believe they are pounding responsibility into the kids. Unfortunately kids will be kids. I hate the negative this brings to the university and I hope it doesnt cause division in the locker room.
Ever see those parents that are constantly telling their kids "no", "stop doing that", "if you do such and such youll be in trouble", etc but some of those kids just ignore the parents and do it anyway? Then notice how some parents only have to say something once, maybe twice and that's the end of it. I wonder what the difference is? :scratchchin:

I have a 7 year old nephew. Hes an absolute terror when his parents are around, doesn't obey and openly defies. But when they arent and I am, it only takes 1 warning from me and hes as straight as an arrow. The only difference is that I actually discipline while they just preach about consequences.

I get that mac has suspended some kids, or gave them "internal punishment" and what not, but some of these punks keep doing the same thing, and yet.. mac just gives them the same soft punishment again and moves on like nothing happened. Others see that and think the worst that will happen is a short punishment followed by the status quo, so they join in next time too. Im not a psychologist, but I am a parent and uncle to young kids, and I see this stuff every day. If he wants to regain control of this team its time he start practicing some tough love, not just love.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
You guys are funny thinking Mac is going anywhere. 2 years, 2 SEC East titles and in a position to go there again and land a top 5 class next year. Whatever alternate universe you are living in, please say hello to my ex wife!
If we are on probation no top recruit will come here to not play in a bowl game or conference championship game

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.