Franks Spring Game Video

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
It's the off season and there's not much to talk about so I thought some video might be a decent idea. I will post every pass thrown by Franks in the Orange and Blue game. I give my thoughts on each one. I'm sure there are many that will disagree.

giphy.gif

This is a 2 TE set with C'yontai Lewis catching a quick pass. If the CB keeps following Scarlett there's a chance Lewis can beat a tackle by the LB Knight and get a big gainer. However, the CB Putu never turns his back and is able to come back and get the stop. The OL had good protection and Franks got the ball out quickly and accurately. Lots of good stuff in this play on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This is an interesting set with Goolsby, Powell and Scarlett in the backfield. That set is hard for a defense to read and allows a lot of possibilities. After the snap all three run a route and we end up with 5 receivers. Mac's offense relies on the scheme finding the soft spots in the coverage and this play accomplishes that nicely. All of the receivers are open. As soon as he gets the snap Franks stares at the spot he is going to throw to and never looks away. The throw is just a tiny bit late. Franks knows where he is going to put the ball and is staring at it waiting for Powell to arrive, but he waits a little long and Powell has to stop and wait for the ball. If he throws that ball as Powell is cutting it would hit him in stride. He sort of makes up for the timing by gunning the ball. He can certainly get it there quick. This play forces the LB Moon to choose which receiver to cover as 3 of them run right by him. Moon makes a good decision and shows nice speed in making the tackle.

Make fun of Nuss all you want, but this is a very nicely designed play.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This play uses the same set as the previous play, but with different personnel and Franks under the center. Goolsby, Lewis and Scarlett are all in the backfield. Before the snap Goolsby moves to the right side of the formation and puts his hands up to make it appear as though he is going to block. The formation looks like it will be a toss to the right with 2 TEs in place to block. After the snap Lewis stays in position to provide help blocking, but no one rushes and he goes out for a pass. Once again, the offense has 5 receivers downfield. Scarlett gets open underneath across the middle. Lewis is open on the right sideline. Both WRs streak downfield and get behind the defense. Franks gets off a perfect pass hitting Hammond in stride.

This offensive formation makes it very difficult for a defense to read pre-snap if it is run or pass. The formation sucked the defense in thinking it was going to be a power run. The O-line had plenty of extra blocking if needed. Once again a very nicely designed play.

I would love to see Toney in that formation. So many options.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This play uses a more traditional set with 4 WRs. Franks gets the ball off quick and shotguns it directly over the head of Hammond who is open. It wasn't horribly inaccurate, but uncatchable nonetheless. It's possible that Hammond was supposed to turn out towards the pylon instead of inside towards the defense. The good news is that Franks threw the miss where the defense couldn't get the interception.

Just like the regular season, there are receivers open on pretty much every play.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This is a designed swing pass to Scarlett. Hammond half heartedly blocks downfield. Tyler Jordan and Jawaan Taylor try to get off their blocks and run downfield, but they arrive too late to help. DE Clayton shows good speed to get back in the play. LBs Moon and Jackson show good discipline and speed in getting to the ball carrier. Franks looked downfield right up until he threw the ball.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

After the snap RB Thompson does a good job of helping with the pass protection on the left side. DE Clayton rushes the end from the right side and falls down in the backfield. However, when Clayton falls the OL can't stop his momentum and continues moving into the backfield. Clayton stands up and gets the sack. It's hard to tell, but it appears that all of the WRs were covered and there was nowhere to throw the ball. When Franks feels the pressure coming and realizes he has to do something he tries to run and there is nowhere to go. He was still between the tackles so it would have been dangerous to throw it in the vicinity of a receiver. Thompson pops open late, but Franks is already running into the line at that point.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This is a one back set with Scarlett in the backfield. He hesitates momentarily to see if he is needed as a blocker and then runs to an open spot. Scarlett gets wide open, but by then it's too late. Freshman DT Kyree Campbell is barrelling down on Franks and the QB has to try to dump the ball off to TE Lewis. Lewis is well covered by Moon who showed great discipline in maintaining his position and picking up the TE. Moon makes an athletic play and the ball falls incomplete.

If Scarlett remains in the backfield he was in great postion to pick up the block and keep Campbell away from Franks. However, Campbell was being well blocked when Scarlett made the decision to become a receiver.

What stands out in this play is #45 on the defense. He is listed on the roster as R-sophomore R.J. Raymond a 6'2" 248 pound LB. However, on this play he is on the DL and has his hand on the ground. After the snap he gets double teamed by OL Heggie and McCoy. Raymond pushes towards the center and Heggie backs off the block. Raymond continues pushing McCoy backwards into OL Jordan who is blocking Campbell. This frees up Campbell to run into the backfield and get the sack (if it were a real game).

Franks was able to get the ball off and not take the sack this time.

The star of this play is definitely #45.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

The OL does a nice job in pass protection this time. Once again there are receivers running open everywhere. Franks chooses to throw to Powell who is running across the field underneath the defense. The ball is thrown high, but Powell is able to bring it down without breaking stride. This is a hard play to defend when the ball is thrown quickly. Mac's offense really depends on a QB that can survey the field and make quick decisions. Franks is still showing a tendency to throw the ball high.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

DB Garrett Stephens shows blitz and this time Scarlett picks up the block beautifully. The play has no chance if Scarlett doesn't get that block. Powell is running open across the middle and Franks hits him in the numbers for a 21 yard gain. The offense ran this play to perfection. Franks can really put some velocity on the ball.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This play would have never had a chance in a real game. DE Clayton blows by RT Taylor and would have got the sack were this not a scrimmage.. Clayton slaps Franks on the shoulder as he runs past. The play continues and Franks runs from the pocket. Callaway shows his experience level on this play. He had set up in a soft spot in the defense, but he sees Franks is in trouble and runs to help him. Callaway comes across the field running parallel to Franks and gives him an easy dump off. Thank goodness Callaway didn't blow out a knee vaulting Eddie Giles at the end of the play.

Clayton is showing the potential to be a beast this year.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

Franks shows his inexperience on this play. This time RT Taylor has a tough time blocking freshman DL Jordan Smith. Franks doesn't help by moving over right into Smith. Perine has come out of the backfield and is wide open for a TD. Franks doesn't see Perine and throws a 5 yard pass to Powell in the middle of the field. It's a perfect pass that hits Powell in the chest, but he drops the ball.

Franks wasn't perfect on this play, but he did deliver a nice pass in traffic. It looked like he took some of the heat off the ball and threw a catchable pass. It should have been a completion.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This set loads up the right side with 4 receivers. That forces a mismatch with sophomore LB Knight forced to cover Powell. Powell easily gets open, but the pass is slightly high and behind giving Knight the chance to make a play on the ball. If Franks leads Powell this is an easy TD.

The good news is that Franks was able to identify the mismatch. It appears that he is starting to grasp the mental side of the game.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This is another designed pass to Scarlett. The coaches really want to get him the ball in open space. The OL blocks well and Scarlett is wide open, but Franks throws the ball high again. He also rockets the ball and makes it that much more difficult to catch. The LB Knight shows good discipline in coverage.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

This is a thing of beauty. Callaway splits the defenders and Franks throws a perfect pass. He gets the ball there with some zip and hits Callaway in the numbers. The entire play took less than 4 seconds. Franks was decisive and got the ball out fast. The only negative may be that he stared his receiver down, but the play happened so fast I don't think he had time or the need to look off the defense.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
giphy.gif

Franks feels pressure, steps up into the pocket and finds Powell running across the middle. He delivers what appears to be a perfect pass, but he doesn't notice the referee standing right where the ball is going.

On this play LB/DL Raymond blows past OL Johnson. Raymond had a pretty good game. If he could do that in the fall he could make a name for himself, but it's a spring game so odds are we will never hear from him again.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
There you have it, every Franks pass from the spring game.

Franks was 8 of 14 for 119 yards and a TD. He also took one sack. By my count Franks threw 4 passes high.

He appears to have the potential to be a very good QB. He certainly possesses the physical skills. As he matures, gains experience and learns the game I think he will become a very good QB with the potential to be a great one.

It appears that he is our best option at the current time even if he is still a little green. If he can take care of the ball, find the open receiver and get rid of it quickly then I think he can be successful this season. However, he has to stop throwing it high as those are potential interceptions.

Edit - there was a typo in the original post, it originally said Franks had 199 yards passing, it is actually 119.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What stands out in this play is #45 on the defense. He is listed on the roster as R-sophomore R.J. Raymond a 6'2" 248 pound LB. However, on this play he is on the DL and has his hand on the ground. After the snap he gets double teamed by OL Heggie and McCoy. Raymond pushes towards the center and Heggie backs off the block. Raymond continues pushing McCoy backwards into OL Jordan who is blocking Campbell. This frees up Campbell to run into the backfield and get the sack.

Franks was able to get the ball off and not take the sack this time.

The star of this play is definitely #45

Dude, I've said a few times and even posted that RJ Raymond was the MVP of the game.

He's a 248lb LB and he started and played DT the entire game (he didn't play one snap anywhere else but DT).

DEFENSIVE TACKLE at 248 pounds....and - sadly - he held his own vs. our #1 OL. THAT is what concerns me about this offense; that a 248lb walk-on LB played DT and held his own.

This OL needs to get their sh*t together or it's going to be another long, dismal year for this 100+ ranked offense.....

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Dude, I've said a few times and even posted that RJ Raymond was the MVP of the game.

He's a 248lb LB and he started and played DT the entire game (he didn't play one snap anywhere else but DT).

DEFENSIVE TACKLE at 248 pounds....and - sadly - he held his own vs. our #1 OL. THAT is what concerns me about this offense; that a 248lb walk-on LB played DT and held his own.

This OL needs to get their sh*t together or it's going to be another long, dismal year for this 100+ ranked offense.....

I agree whole heartedly that the OL has to improve. I think Davis will have an effect on them.

Raymond was impressive though. You could tell that this spring game really meant something to him. It was his chance to shine and scrap for a spot in the pecking order.

I don't think the starters on the offensive line feel the same urgency in a spring game. I would compare it to NBA players in the all star game slacking off on defense. It was a glorified scrimmage where the top priority is not blowing out a knee.

If our OL is giving up sacks to 248 pound DTs in the fall then it's time to panic.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree whole heartedly that the OL has to improve. I think Davis will have an effect on them.

Raymond was impressive though. You could tell that this spring game really meant something to him. It was his chance to shine and scrap for a spot in the pecking order.

I don't think the starters on the offensive line feel the same urgency in a spring game. I would compare it to NBA players in the all star game slacking off on defense. It was a glorified scrimmage where the top priority is not blowing out a knee.

If our OL is giving up sacks to 248 pound DTs in the fall then it's time to panic.

I commented to Law that if Raymond can get into the 275 range he has a legitimate chance to play some downs this year. I'm sure he's over his listed 248, as that was from last August, and I'm guessing that's why he's lined up on the DL. He played more downs at DT than Desir-Jones, Ancrum, and Campbell. I'm not sure why, but he held his own. Like I said, if he's up to 275 or higher, he could actually see the field this year. BTW, he's a Gator legacy (Bobby Raymond's kid - former UF kicker).

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks 2222.

The OL is a major concern. Major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads