Franks to be named starter?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Of the 19 SEC quarterbacks who had qualifying statistics, Frank’s had the worst completion percentage for passes over 20 yards last year. He had the highest uncatchable pass percentage for those same passes. We didn’t miss many balls because of the receivers, it was Franks.

It’s still Frank’s though, and even Mullen has observed that it didn’t click for him at the level he would have preferred.

I hope Franks proves you right and us doubters wrong.
I still have doubts. Franks did not appear to be a quick thinker last season.

To be fair last season teams would come after Franks as they knew UF's WRs could not seperate and only one could go deep (Cleveland) and he had hamstring issues. That hurts your QB's 20 yard plus completion %. We had alot of sacks which makes it harder to go deep.

Mullen's system last year did a good job in the sack department.

Sacks Allowed - FBS Football Stats

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Sounds like Franks is the answer now, unlike every time he has taken the field. I bought that snake oil last year then watched in disgust the rest of the 4-win season. Saturday starts it up boys the hype and bullsh@t are about to come to an end. Show us a fantastic turnaround Mr. Franks or take a seat.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Franks has won the respect of his coaches and teammates due to his work ethic, film study, and leadership example. He has gone so far as to say his focus is on winning more than starting. Everyday more teammates go on record as to his character; attitude and leadership. Today it was Chauncey.

But folks who are nothing but derisive about our press corps suddenly feel reporters were slighted?

Although I have never been impressed with his game I like his competitiveness right now. I like a little chip on his shoulder. I like a leader with a some fight in him and apparently his coaches and teammates do as well. Maybe this new found confidence sparks a change on the field. If not, sit his ass down and he’ll never get another chance again. It’s now or never for this kid and he sounds like he is braced for a fight. Good for him.
Did we really think they were going to say what they really feel? I mean they do want to play and get on the field. Its not like the NFL when you can somewhat bash the QB, and still play. I'm sure there was an unwritten rule about speaking negative about teammates outside the locker room. Praise in public, punish in private.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of the 19 SEC quarterbacks who had qualifying statistics, Frank’s had the worst completion percentage .....
And yet NONE of those guys were forced to run the same fvkking play action (more sacks, harder on OL, harder on QB to look down sell the run then look up and find the receivers after 22 pieces on the field have moved) slot receiver drag route to the exact same receiver on EVERY damn 3rd and long.

WHAT YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON are Nussdrunks stats at making every offense worse, most terrible, and every QB ineffective. Because that is what the story is.

Will Franks pan out? I don't know but how he did with a babbling sharkhumping moron and Nussdrunk really doesn't tell me anything.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I still have doubts. Franks did not appear to be a quick thinker last season.

To be fair last season teams would come after Franks as they knew UF's WRs could not seperate and only one could go deep (Cleveland) and he had hamstring issues. That hurts your QB's 20 yard plus completion %. We had alot of sacks which makes it harder to go deep.

Mullen's system last year did a good job in the sack department.

Sacks Allowed - FBS Football Stats
Spot on.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Of the 19 SEC quarterbacks who had qualifying statistics, Frank’s had the worst completion percentage for passes over 20 yards last year. He had the second highest uncatchable pass percentage for those same passes. (Source: What to expect from Feleipe Franks as Florida’s starting...)

We didn’t miss many balls because of the receivers, it was Franks.

It’s still Frank’s though, and even Mullen has observed that it didn’t click for him at the level he would have preferred.

I hope Franks proves you right and us doubters wrong.

It makes me wonder then how average is Trask if he can't beat this guy out? We all assume Mullen knows QBs. He went with a flawed QB over the other guy. How bad is Trask?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I see all the love for this post but I’m not sure the initial premise is accurate or ever stated by the coaches (maybe the teammates). I certainly hope Franks does great, but it seems even the coaches feel like they settled on him.

Here is Mullen on the QBs:

“They should understand it by hopefully next summer, I was hoping maybe with just one of them it would really click, but I didn’t see that happen. But that doesn’t shock me. It might not even be next summer. It might be the summer after that. A lot of guys it takes two or three years of really working.”

Kind of surprising Mullen was that candid. But, maybe a lot changed since that recent quote . . .

Mullen isn't stupid - He knows what he has with Franks.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Mullen isn't stupid - He knows what he has with Franks.
dan-mullen-shruggie.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's not, but with the way Mullen's large head with short neck rests on his shoulders, the pic almost looks photoshopped.

It's been a long time since we had a photogenic football coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It makes me wonder then how average is Trask if he can't beat this guy out? We all assume Mullen knows QBs. He went with a flawed QB over the other guy. How bad is Trask?
He isn't flawed. He is probably the best HS backup out there. But he is a HS backup/D3 project type player. He isn't average. I'm not even sure Franks is average. Franks is probably still below average and Trash is well below average.

Neither would be on the depth chart in the 90s or 2000s.

Hell, I'm pretty sure we've never had a high school backup on a scholarship.

Last edited:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Thankfully, we’re about to find out. I’m not the least bit optimistic (can’t get the image of last years FSU debacle out of my head). But I’ve been wrong many times in the past. Sure hope I’m wrong about Franks. That would be one tasty plate of Crow.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I see all the love for this post but I’m not sure the initial premise is accurate or ever stated by the coaches (maybe the teammates). I certainly hope Franks does great, but it seems even the coaches feel like they settled on him.

Here is Mullen on the QBs:

“They should understand it by hopefully next summer, I was hoping maybe with just one of them it would really click, but I didn’t see that happen. But that doesn’t shock me. It might not even be next summer. It might be the summer after that. A lot of guys it takes two or three years of really working.”

Kind of surprising Mullen was that candid. But, maybe a lot changed since that recent quote . . .

I don’t think you realize how much we agree on this. I’ve made no mention of Franks talent or execution. Only the respect he’s earned from coaches and teammates. DM has consistently stated they have all worked hard but none are even really close to where they need to be. Franks is simply ahead of the other 2 but that is not to be interpreted that he is a Heisman candidate.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think you realize how much we agree on this. I’ve made no mention of Franks talent or execution. Only the respect he’s earned from coaches and teammates. DM has consistently stated they have all worked hard but none are even really close to where they need to be. Franks is simply ahead of the other 2 but that is not to be interpreted that he is a Heisman candidate.
Exactly! For some reason it has to be one or the other.

Last year I said it would be LDR and that Franks wasn't even close to being ready. Most of the rest of the board said an offensive explosion was coming if we only got Franks on the field. Wide open receivers, thousands of points, just get LDR off. I was lambasted as an LDR lover. Maybe I was trying to get a job with Raiders too. Oh well.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Sounds like Franks is the answer now, unlike every time he has taken the field. I bought that snake oil last year then watched in disgust the rest of the 4-win season. Saturday starts it up boys the hype and bullsh@t are about to come to an end. Show us a fantastic turnaround Mr. Franks or take a seat.

Even Mullen is on record as saying all 3 are well behind the curve. I can’t find anyone (coach, player, fan or press) “hyping” Franks performance beyond that he won the starting job. Virtually all commentary has alluded to “let’s wait and see if there is improvement” or “what he lacks can’t be coached”. That’s it. Nobody promising he’s going to light it up.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Did we really think they were going to say what they really feel? I mean they do want to play and get on the field. Its not like the NFL when you can somewhat bash the QB, and still play. I'm sure there was an unwritten rule about speaking negative about teammates outside the locker room. Praise in public, punish in private.

I agree it would be a bad teammate to disparage another publicly. But teammates willingly stepping up and making such favorable comments is telling. Particularly newbies Jefferson and Grimes who began commenting over the summer before selection was even made.

Clearly (at least to me) a light bulb went off for Franks and there has been an attitude adjustment and commitment to work hard. Commendable to me. Hopefully this leads to better execution on the field.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why is everyone constantly mentioning Grimes? Cleveland has more Tds than Grimes has catches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Succinct and strong. Are you sure you're lesbo? Because I think I want to marry you. But if you're really committed, then okay. In that case I'll marry you and your girlfriend both.
Sorry, dude. Chicks only. Preferably Subie owners.

However, I am a team player. Maybe I can bang your wife and you can watch? Girlfriend? Sister? Daughter? Mom? All the above?

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Why is everyone constantly mentioning Grimes? Cleveland has more Tds than Grimes has catches.

True, of course. However his one season was fraught with the reality of his mother’s illness. He rarely played and went on a sabbatical at one point.

I will be really surprised if Grimes isn’t the real deal. He’s got speed, hands and great size and he goes after everything in the air.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Cleveland will be very good for us. I expect him to have a very good year as well. Grimes is the shiny new toy. The kid was a 5 Star talent coming out of St. Thomas Aquinas and he has terrific size and speed. Jefferson has the pedigree and production thus far, but Grimes has the highest ceiling of all our receivers. On top of that, he and Franks are roommates, which should lend toward better chemistry than he might have with some of the other pass catchers.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Exactly! For some reason it has to be one or the other.

Last year I said it would be LDR and that Franks wasn't even close to being ready. Most of the rest of the board said an offensive explosion was coming if we only got Franks on the field. Wide open receivers, thousands of points, just get LDR off. I was lambasted as an LDR lover. Maybe I was trying to get a job with Raiders too. Oh well.
UF last season had 37 sacks compared to Mississippi State's 13. LDR got injured leaving Franks to take the onslaught. LDR is smarter than Franks but is more injury prone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.