Franks to be named starter?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Why is everyone constantly mentioning Grimes? Cleveland has more Tds than Grimes has catches.
Grimes will be drafted higher than Van Jefferson. Van Jefferson has been extremely well trained by his NFL WR coach dad. Grimes is better equipped physically and is a better long ball WR than Van Jefferson. Van Jefferson is a superior route runner.

Mullen likes to send all his WRs long at the same time ( Cleveland completes the long ball trio ) so pick your poison opposing defenses.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Cleveland will be very good for us. I expect him to have a very good year as well. Grimes is the shiny new toy. The kid was a 5 Star talent coming out of St. Thomas Aquinas and he has terrific size and speed. Jefferson has the pedigree and production thus far, but Grimes has the highest ceiling of all our receivers. On top of that, he and Franks are roommates, which should lend toward better chemistry than he might have with some of the other pass catchers.

So true. Grimes and Jefferson are going to make Tyrie an even bigger threat.
My only concern with Tyrie is whether he can stay on the field and not go down with injuries.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So true. Grimes and Jefferson are going to make Tyrie an even bigger threat.
My only concern with Tyrie is whether he can stay on the field and not go down with injuries.
Hopefully there will now be less pressure and coverage on Tyrie which will result in less injuries. Being our only deep threat last year he got alot of attention from our opponents.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Please share the YouTube link to the secret film that you have evidently seen and I have not.

Pay attention. He sees and reads better and throws a more accurate and catchable ball. Again, it doesn't make him a good QB. If you want, I will film myself throwing passes and I think I am probably a better passer too.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Pay attention. He sees and reads better and throws a more accurate and catchable ball. Again, it doesn't make him a good QB. If you want, I will film myself throwing passes and I think I am probably a better passer too.

We don’t need any Uncle Rico highlight reels:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's not, but with the way Mullen's large head with short neck rests on his shoulders, the pic almost looks photoshopped.

It's been a long time since we had a photogenic football coach.

Kinda looks like a real alligator snapping turtle. At least he's got gator in him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let me be Franks with you. Before we can "know" about Feliepe the QB he's gotta have 2 things in front of him:
1) an unpenetrated OL
2) receivers that get visible separation
This CSU game is the ideal set-up for 1 & 2. If Franks poorly connects this game, then GatorNation is stuck with a stumble-learning QB. Trask will not get serious consideration probly 'cause his ceiling still isn't enough enuf to carry his team on his back.

Overall, I'm hoping that Franks excels at running for good yardage, taking the hits fine. And that this causes some eureka switch to be flipped such that his confidence in his "take-charge" mindset bursts forth. Then, with hesitancy & brain-freeze removed, he takes ownership of being a QB. Franks development will require a near miracle, though.
Need to stop chaining him to past fails, and start looking through our own hopeful eyes. Kickoff looms in the air, guys

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
He isn't flawed. He is probably the best HS backup out there. But he is a HS backup/D3 project type player. He isn't average. I'm not even sure Franks is average. Franks is probably still below average and Trash is well below average.

Neither would be on the depth chart in the 90s or 2000s.

Hell, I'm pretty sure we've never had a high school backup on a scholarship.
To be fair the QB that Trask backed up was a 4 star recruit and now starts for Houston and is an excellent runner in a high school offense designed for a running QB. Franks may have backed that QB up in that high school system.

D'Eriq King - 2018 Football Roster - University of Houston

Because Trask was trained in that running QB offense he has an easier transition out of Mac's pro offense that he was recruited for into Mullen's system. Trask did not pick our new head coach's offense he just adapted.

Last edited:

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Thankfully, we’re about to find out. I’m not the least bit optimistic (can’t get the image of last years FSU debacle out of my head). But I’ve been wrong many times in the past. Sure hope I’m wrong about Franks. That would be one tasty plate of Crow.
You'll have to wait for conference play to find out if crow is on the menu, but on the other hand, if he can't carve up CS defense then we'll know the negative.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You'll have to wait for conference play to find out if crow is on the menu, but on the other hand, if he can't carve up CS defense then we'll know the negative.
The first time I watched Franks was in a high school all star game. He continued to force throws into coverage and seemed stubborn that he was right even after his interceptions.

In high school Franks could get away with throwing into coverage because his WR (who now starts for FSU) was a large WR playing against small competition.

Last season it seemed it was in his nature to force passes into coverage although last season it could have been partially because he was getting sacked frequently. . We will see if Mullen has been able to get that out of Franks.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The first time I watched Franks was in a high school all star game. He continued to force throws into coverage and seemed stubborn that he was right even after his interceptions.

In high school Franks could get away with throwing into coverage because his WR (who now starts for FSU) was a large WR playing against small competition.

Last season it seemed it was in his nature to force passes into coverage although last season it could have been partially because he was getting sacked frequently. . We will see if Mullen has been able to get that out of Franks.

It is who he is I think. I remember watching his high school tape and he was just mostly scrambling a lot and would focus on single receivers and was usually waiting to throw the ball when they were clearly open.

As you say once he was playing in the all star game stuff he has fell apart ever since and hasn't shown much to make people think the lights will ever turn on. He literally threw a pick like every 4 passes or so I think in that all star game to his first spring game here and then in his 2nd spring game Mac just tried to hide what he was from the fans having starting WR's literally going against walk-on DBs in almost all of those plays instead of 2nd stringers like how its usually done.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How many catches did you make Sat nite.. stupid post on your part.way to support your QB.

It was a joke. And I did support my QB, both on here and at the game Saturday. Sorry if I offended you.

Also, trim the beard, bro. You look like an Aryan Nation prison-gang member.

But best of luck against uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator