From Candidate to Canned

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cal-Berkeley has apparently fired Sonny Dykes. Well in the past 2 years it seems almost every job that was open had Dykes named mentioned as a candidate b/c he is this "supposed offensive mind". Well now he is out of a job and it goes to my contention that all these morons that hire coaches seem to care about one facet. Well that is why I am always in favor of hiring a "Great Head coach", regardless of his pedigree or background. You need not be of a certain background to be a great head coach. It is innate and it is the morons job who do the hiring to discern that great quality. Sadly almost none of them can do it, hence "morons".

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
your point ? :scratchhead:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Cal-Berkeley has apparently fired Sonny Dykes. Well in the past 2 years it seems almost every job that was open had Dykes named mentioned as a candidate b/c he is this "supposed offensive mind". Well now he is out of a job and it goes to my contention that all these morons that hire coaches seem to care about one facet. Well that is why I am always in favor of hiring a "Great Head coach", regardless of his pedigree or background. You need not be of a certain background to be a great head coach. It is innate and it is the morons job who do the hiring to discern that great quality. Sadly almost none of them can do it, hence "morons".

I believe there is some real magic in being a head coach. I can think of many examples where I have been wrong about a head coach both ways.

1. I thought Dooley acolyte Ray Goff would probably do well at UGa, but he turned out only average.

2. I thought Curly Hallman could do great at LSU, he won at USM, and he was awful.

3. I though Terry Bowden would not be good at AU, but he won his first 20 games and was good but they ran him out because he did not run the ball enough to suit them.

Also someone who is good at one place may not succeed at the next. For that reason I am not willing to say the Orgeron will clearly not be good at LSU. Also even Belichick failed at Cleveland.

All of this cause me to be cautions about any coaching hire.

Heck if McElwain had done the job he was hired to do and fixed UF's offense, I would be cautiously optimistic about him now. Because he has not I am cautiously pessimistic, but I do recognize the point many dissenters here bring up of who are you going to replace him with.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
To be a great head coach you have to be a great head coach as said by Fire Foley. Some have it and some don't. It's not about just calling the right play at the right time. That may get you a win or two, but just because you are a great play caller isn't going to win a championship. You have to be at the right place at the right time. You have to build a system, a program. The games are not won on game day. The games are won during the off season and in practice sessions. The coach's philosophy has to match up with the culture of the school. And you have to have recruits. On a given day a team of 3 stars can beat a team of 5 stars but the great majority of the time the team of 5 stars is going to win.

Nick Saban wins because he is a great head coach but he also wins because he is a perfect fit for Alabama and he gets the best recruits.

As InstiGator said "someone who is good at one place may not succeed at the next". Look at our own Gator history for proof of this. Doug Dickey, a Florida grad, and former Gator quarterback, won two SEC titles at Tennessee and was beating Bear Bryant and Alabama. He was brought to Gainesville to bring the Gators their first SEC championship, but he failed in this and did not even have as good of a winning percentage as his predecessor, Ray Graves, ironically a Tennessee grad and former Tennessee lineman.

Spurrier had great success at Florida because he got the recruits and because he was at the right place at the right time. Spurrier was the perfect fit for the University of Florida. His coaching philosophy fit with the culture of Florida football where as Coach Dickey's style of coaching did not fit with the players or the fans.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
To be a great head coach you have to be a great head coach as said by Fire Foley. Some have it and some don't. It's not about just calling the right play at the right time. That may get you a win or two, but just because you are a great play caller isn't going to win a championship. You have to be at the right place at the right time. You have to build a system, a program. The games are not won on game day. The games are won during the off season and in practice sessions. The coach's philosophy has to match up with the culture of the school. And you have to have recruits. On a given day a team of 3 stars can beat a team of 5 stars but the great majority of the time the team of 5 stars is going to win.

Nick Saban wins because he is a great head coach but he also wins because he is a perfect fit for Alabama and he gets the best recruits.

As InstiGator said "someone who is good at one place may not succeed at the next". Look at our own Gator history for proof of this. Doug Dickey, a Florida grad, and former Gator quarterback, won two SEC titles at Tennessee and was beating Bear Bryant and Alabama. He was brought to Gainesville to bring the Gators their first SEC championship, but he failed in this and did not even have as good of a winning percentage as his predecessor, Ray Graves, ironically a Tennessee grad and former Tennessee lineman.

Spurrier had great success at Florida because he got the recruits and because he was at the right place at the right time. Spurrier was the perfect fit for the University of Florida. His coaching philosophy fit with the culture of Florida football where as Coach Dickey's style of coaching did not fit with the players or the fans.

I agree and Saban works much harder than almost any other head coach and insists on performance from his staff from top to bottom. He chewed out Lame Kitten so much that they finally parted ways, somewhat due to Lame not delivering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator