From just behind our sideline, a different perspective

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Was on the 50, 3 rows up for Ole Miss (and, yes, I'm still a little hoarse). Thought I would share some observations from right behind our sideline.

1. Wow these kids are young. They look like men in pads and helmets, but up close, they really are kids. Lots of zits, narrow behinds, skinny legs, and baby faces. Even the OL with the big bodies have baby faces. It's often easy to forget these are a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids.

2. Antonio Morrison is a LEADER on the field and on the sideline. He was active, pumping up teammates on O and D. He's a real asset and everybody seems to respect him.

3. VHIII is perpetually smiling, always looks happy, he has a bounce to his step, and looks like he could break into dance at any time. I do think he musta been one of the dudes who got the flu though because there were times when he looked totally gassed. But that smile was always there. You just want to be friends with the guy. After the INT I shouted at him "VERNON, THANKS FOR THE PICK!" and he waved to acknowledge.

4. Keanu Neal is the opposite. Super intense on the sideline. He's got his gameface on and it's a scowl. I guess he is able to let it go after the game 'cause he's the one who was dancing on the sideline with the State Trooper after the game.

5. Martez Ivey is BIG.

6. Treon Harris wasn't pouting or scowling. He was supporting his teammates and celebrating their successes.

7. Coach Mac might sound all relaxed when they do the halftime interview but it's an act. He's nervous as a cat on the sideline, looking down, pacing back and forth, engrossed in the discussions on the headset.

8. Alex Anzalone was in street clothes and had his arm in a soft sling. He was going up and down the sidelines, encouraging his teammates.

9. I thought Bryan Cox, Jr. was something of a tweener, a LB playing DE, I but I was wrong. He's a big dude. Alex McCallister, on the other hand, looks like a basketball player.

10. The crowd. No, it's not like the 90's, but it is more like the 90's than it has been in a while. Back then, there were no visible gaps like we see now right in the top middle of the student section. Also, it was denser back then. Especially for big games, people constantly snuck in to the point where it was impossible to sit and you pretty much had to stand sideways for everybody to fit. We're not back to that level (and I don't know if we will get back to that level). In terms of attendance, it's more like a typical Meyer-era crowd or maybe a Spurrier-era crowd for a Vandy type game. BUT, the fans who were there were LOUD. It felt like the 90's in there. The stadium was rocking and it got to the Ole Miss offense. Many times, Kelly had to go up and down the line, trying to shout audibles. The Ole Miss offense felt like it was under siege from that crowd all night. It was intimidating and disconcerting, and the Gator D fed off of that energy. They were bouncing, excited, on their toes, it was GREAT. You could tell the D was loving the home field advantage. I looked to see where the visiting recruits were seated (used to be in the South Endzone) but I couldn't make it out. Still, I'm sure any recruits who visited for that game would want to don an orange helmet and play in front of a crowd like that.

Alex.

Sep 29, 2015
AlexDaGator;n291727 said:
I looked to see where the visiting recruits were seated (used to be in the South Endzone) but I couldn't make it out.

I was sitting within shouting distance of the recruits in the corner of the South Endzone (they were on the first 6-8 bleachers or so behind the right side of the endzone). There were maybe 15-20, and some had parents with them. They were generally having a good time, but were mostly sitting and staying pretty cool during the whole game. There was one kid in puke-orange Elevensee garb from head to toe. It looked like he was getting flak from some of the other kids, but it was hard to tell. Anyway, the Swamp was bonkers from start to finish. Nobody can deny that atmosphere. In fact, my buddy read a text message sent by an Ole Piss fan sitting in front of us: "This is the loudest stadium I've been to."

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Nice read Alex, thanks for posting.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I could tell the noise level was good. I remember a few in the 90s where my ears would ring a little Like the 14-9 FSU game at the end.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n291753 said:
I could tell the noise level was good. I remember a few in the 90s where my ears would ring a little Like the 14-9 FSU game at the end.

That was the most INTENSE game, from start to finish, that I have ever witnessed in person. And I've been to a lot (including the Cockblock, and the Greatest Game Ever Played In The Swamp).

We were packed in like sardines in the student section. People were standing on the seats the entire game, including halftime. No sitting. No room even if you wanted to. The aisles were packed, the tunnels were packed, it was hard to breathe.

A radio station gave out orange towels, like the Steelers' Terrible Towels, with "STOP THE CHOP" on them written in blue. We had lost to FSU 4 years in a row, the longest such losing streak ever.

It was supposed to be the best FSU team ever, ranked number 1 most of the season and crushing everybody. But the week before, they had just lost by 1 point to Miami (Wide Right). The had been so dominant in their other games, they only dropped from 1 to 3. They needed to beat us to get back in the NC conversation. They came in desperate.

We were desperate too. We were ranked number 5 and had only one loss on the season (at Syracuse in the season opener, damn you Kirby Dar Dar).

Never before had we played when both teams were ranked in the top 5.

Our defense was amazing. They beat the ever loving sh!t out of Casey Weldon. Darren Mickell, Brad Culpepper, and Tony McCoy just abused the FSU OL (which had some injuries) all day. Not a lot of sacks, but he got hit over and over again. Hard. Shane Matthews took a beating from their defense too. It was a brutal game.

It all came down to a couple of shots at the endzone by FSU in the waning seconds.

It was exhausting. I've never been part of a more fired-up crowd. Not even close. I was there when FSU beat us with late hits in 1996 and tore down their goal posts. I was there in Knoxville when Tennessee beat us on a missed kick and tore down their goal posts. I was there in Death Valley when Les Miles made 4th down by an inch over and over and over.

Never seen a more intense crowd than 1991 FL-FSU. The pressure was just relentless.

Alex.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
If I am remembering right, I believe Huey Richardson blew in untouched to plant Weldon in the turf with the key sack near the end of their last drive. Any one else confirm that? Also the '97 FSU game with Johnson to Quezzy was pretty earsplitting crowd noise as well. Then of course "Taylor made".

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
2. Antonio Morrison is a LEADER on the field and on the sideline. He was active, pumping up teammates on O and D. He's a real asset and everybody seems to respect him.

6. Treon Harris wasn't pouting or scowling. He was supporting his teammates and celebrating their successes.

8. Alex Anzalone was in street clothes and had his arm in a soft sling. He was going up and down the sidelines, encouraging his teammates.

This is what I've been noticing more and more as I watch the games on tv. Kids on the sideline are pumped and very supportive of one another - doesn't matter if you are a starter, on offense or defense, whatever - they are definitely excited for their teammates to do well. I had a similar though in watching the Wyoming kid on a play where he helped get a TFL (maybe a sack?) - the thing that struck me was the starters that were there with him were celebrating a great play by all involved. There was no hesitation about 'he isn't one of the cool guys' as EVERYONE is one of the cool guys. If you're on the field, or at least wearing the uniform, you ARE one of the cool guys and by gosh we are going to celebrate with you. The exact thought I had was "there is no negative thought like a pre-snap saying 'aw, we have what's his name out here and we gotta cover for his weakness'". Doesn't matter who you are, you are out there because the coaches believe you can do the job and your teammates do as well.

Oh, and the noise on tv from the TN game and the Ole Miss game is noticeable. Definitely makes me miss being there live.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great post, Alex. Fantastic perspective.

The stadium was rocking and it got to the Ole Miss offense.

I actually thought Coach Freeze had a bit of a "deer in the headlights" look during the halftime interview. He mentioned the noise and energy and he had a look like it had gotten to him. If had gotten to the HC, it certainly affected his players. It is great that the Swamp is becoming ferocious again.

narrow behinds, skinny legs

OK - what exactly are you looking at when you watch a football game, perv boy?? :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
FatCatG8r;291803 said:
If I am remembering right, I believe Huey Richardson blew in untouched to plant Weldon in the turf with the key sack near the end of their last drive. Any one else confirm that? Also the '97 FSU game with Johnson to Quezzy was pretty earsplitting crowd noise as well. Then of course "Taylor made".

Huey's last year was 1990. Great dude!

Darren Mickell was our best edge rusher but the tackles (Culpepper and McCoy) were fierce.

The game ended on 2 incomplete passes to the end zone. Will White and Del Speer were the safeties. Tim Paulk and Fee Bartley were the hard hitting LBs.

The '97 game was fantastic, I'm not taking anything away from it. The difference is there were highs and lows, times when you could catch your breath.

The best "moments" include Quezzie's catch in that game, the Cockblock in 2008, Larry Kennedy's INT v Tennessee in '91, Lawrence Wright's hit on Joey Kent, Bell going in for 2 against Auburn, etc.

The '91 game was like 1-1 baseball game where every single pitch was absolutely vital. There was no exhaling from start to finish. No "moment" like the above, just unrelenting intensity.

Also, in 1997, we were celebrating our first MNC and demolition of FSU. In '91, we had lost 4 in a row. Gator fans were PRIMED.

Alex.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. Wow these kids are young. They look like men in pads and helmets, but up close, they really are kids. Lots of zits, narrow behinds, skinny legs, and baby faces. Even the OL with the big bodies have baby faces. It's often easy to forget these are a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids.

Alex.

Can you explain a little more as to why you were checking out their behinds?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n291861 said:
I actually thought Coach Freeze had a bit of a "deer in the headlights" look during the halftime interview. He mentioned the noise and energy and he had a look like it had gotten to him. If had gotten to the HC, it certainly affected his players. It is great that the Swamp is becoming ferocious again.
Agreed. I love this. Love the Swamp being back. Love it for the fans, some of whom were to young to remember when it used to be like this. Love it for the older guys who suffered through Zook, Muskstank, probation, 0-10-1. Love it.

I also love that going to play the Pom Poms in Tuscaloosa is nothing like trying to survive the Swamp.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm disappointed in you ADG. You're sitting on the 50 yard line, 3 rows up, and you have no photos to share with us? :wtf:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n292256 said:
I'm disappointed in you ADG. You're sitting on the 50 yard line, 3 rows up, and you have no photos to share with us? :wtf:

They're on my phone.

Alex.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n292207 said:
Agreed. I love this. Love the Swamp being back. Love it for the fans, some of whom were to young to remember when it used to be like this. Love it for the older guys who suffered through Zook, Muskstank, probation, 0-10-1. Love it.

I also love that going to play the Pom Poms in Tuscaloosa is nothing like trying to survive the Swamp.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it is definitely a good sign that Ole Miss didn't have any problems playing at Bama while they obviously struggled playing in the Swamp.
Home field advantage is back. :chomp:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
It was certainly loud and intense from pregame to postgame. I had a headache all day Sunday from yelling and just general noise.

Loved the atmosphere though, we really needed that one as badly as we needed the comeback vs UT the week before.

Hopefully it carries over through the rest of the season.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n292317 said:
They're on my phone.

Alex.
You can post them from your phone, they just have to be uploaded to the server. I can explain it to you if you want, or there may be something in the forum issues section

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
d6d834287a0b0e2d848836554727964b.jpg

Sorry for the quality. I took these on my phone (pretty drunk and with unsteady hands). They look good on the phone but blown up to this size they look pretty grainy.

This is on offense near the 45 yard line.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
97dc3f8882a5740e23ae9361cf5c2b9c.jpg

Coach Mac. I'm not saying I told him to call that TD throw to McGee but...

8d771a26f984b3cbd34de8b1a622a6fc.jpg

Coach Collins. He was surprisingly calm on the sidelines.

0aaf8b269a77f1f9ab45994526fc941a.jpg

Will Grier after another TD pass.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator