Frost turned down UF over assistant coaches?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. Just think it's an impossible place to recruit to anymore. The glory days of that school are over forever.

If he can't recruit he's in trouble for sure.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Agreed. Just think it's an impossible place to recruit to anymore. The glory days of that school are over forever.

It seems he was able to make some nice additions and keep what was already a decent 1st class. But most of those were recruited by the previous guy. In his first real class, he is doing about what I'd expect at Nebraska. He is 9th in the little 10 and 30th overall according to rivals. All that kind of recruiting will do is get you fired.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The whole premise of this article and thread is baloney bullshiit....Frost was never coming here and he will do well at Nebraska..he doesn't recruit guys who want to play the hat game on signing day on ESPN.....it's all about team with him and continuing to work to prepare yourself for the next level.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The whole premise of this article and thread is baloney bullshiit....Frost was never coming here and he will do well at Nebraska..he doesn't recruit guys who want to play the hat game on signing day on ESPN.....it's all about team with him and continuing to work to prepare yourself for the next level.
What is "doing well"? The Nebraska fans think they can return to National Championships. That is laughable. They can't assemble those rosters anymore.

Those fans are going to be extremely disappointed by the Frost era, largely because they still think they are a powerhouse program.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What is "doing well"? The Nebraska fans think they can return to National Championships. That is laughable. They can't assemble those rosters anymore.

Those fans are going to be extremely disappointed by the Frost era, largely because they still think they are a powerhouse program.

I agree that year in and year out he likely cannot sustain a powerhouse program like the 80's/90's teams. However, if he builds a solid, veteran roster he likely ends up with a lot of 5th year players every year making them disciplined, stronger, and more mature than a lot of rosters like Ohio State (who's good players all leave early) - not saying as talented, but more experienced. Add in a dynamic QB and they can have a couple of consecutive years of good/great teams. It's what Peterson did at Boise and is doing at Washington. In this day and age of CFB, a team with solid depth & experience can go a long way with a great QB. Frost seems to find good QBs (the kid at UCF was 5'11). If he finds a 'great' QB, like a Watson (at Clemson) or Newton - to go along w/ a veteran team - they can make a run. But year in and year out, it will likely be difficult.

Frost is an interesting person w/ a dynamic background (played offense in college and defense in the NFL)....and is a winner. He's a winner in everything he does. I'm not writing him off....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not writing him off....
I'm writing him off. He'll never win a conference championship there.

Hell, Michigan can't even win one and they have (supposedly) an elite coach and superior resources to Nebraska.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Nebraska has a huge walk on tradition and had 167 players in 2011. They can only dress out 95 for home games and only have 85 on scholarship. This is not a big deal as most will never play or contribute, but Frost is a horse of a different color and is a superbly well-rounded football coach trained by Tom Osborne and Bill Walsh, just to name two.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
I don't think we were ever in the running for Frost regardless of how true this story is. Why would he ever take our job, even if he could bring his entire staff, and take on the pressure of proving himself at UF. Especially when at the same time he had the opportunity to go back to Nebraska, get paid virtually the same he would at UF and have no pressure and plenty of time to rebuild a program. He's got 7 easy years in front of him at Nebraska. If he were at UF he would have 2 years to win or the FireFrost.com sites would be up and buzzing. We were in play for Chip Kelly, but don't kid yourself, we were never really in play for Frost.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we were ever in the running for Frost regardless of how true this story is. Why would he ever take our job, even if he could bring his entire staff, and take on the pressure of proving himself at UF. Especially when at the same time he had the opportunity to go back to Nebraska, get paid virtually the same he would at UF and have no pressure and plenty of time to rebuild a program. He's got 7 easy years in front of him at Nebraska. If he were at UF he would have 2 years to win or the FireFrost.com sites would be up and buzzing. We were in play for Chip Kelly, but don't kid yourself, we were never really in play for Frost.

We just gave Dan Mullen at minimum $30 million based on his contract and him coaching at least 3 years. That's GUARANTEED.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nebraska has a huge walk on tradition and had 167 players in 2011. They can only dress out 95 for home games and only have 85 on scholarship. This is not a big deal as most will never play or contribute, but Frost is a horse of a different color and is a superbly well-rounded football coach trained by Tom Osborne and Bill Walsh, just to name two.
What does that have to do with recruiting to Nebraska these days?

Times have changed, there's a lot more competition now from more attractive locations. And the "aura" of NU football was snuffed out 15 years ago, never to return.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
We just gave Dan Mullen at minimum $30 million based on his contract and him coaching at least 3 years. That's GUARANTEED.
Do you honestly think we would have ever paid Frost that? Mullen is proven, has experience and history at UF, that's easy to sell the 10 mil, even Chip Kelly would be with the name, but Frost...no.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm writing him off. He'll never win a conference championship there.

Hell, Michigan can't even win one and they have (supposedly) an elite coach and superior resources to Nebraska.

I think you are probably right. Look at what happened to Utah and TCU when they joined a big boy conference - the great records became multiple loss seasons. I doubt he gets the talent to win a conference championship there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think you are probably right. Look at what happened to Utah and TCU when they joined a big boy conference - the great records became multiple loss seasons. I doubt he gets the talent to win a conference championship there.
edit: I get it

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sarcasm?

TCU just went 12-1 in their first year in the Big 12.

They were like 7-6 their first year in the Big 12.

Look at TCU and compare their records prior to joining and since they joined the Big 12 - not even close. The toll of a big boy conference did that.

They lost 24 games their first 5 years in the Big 12 while only losing 10 games their last 5 years in the lower conference.

They have had a few good seasons but only shared a conference championship once I think in the Big 12 and have had quite a few seasons they weren't that good at all. Utah has struggled even more I think than them.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Look at TCU and compare their records prior to joining and since they joined the Big 12 - not even close. The toll of a big boy conference did that.
Gotcha - I see what you are talking about. I was looking at the wrong graphic. TCU won their con in 2014 - totally misread it

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure I’m buying this story.

Alex.

Me either.
This sounds like self-serving crap.
Why would an assistant at Nebraska bother to make these comments. This sounds like somebody taking a shot at our AD as if Fooley was still here.

Good luck at Nebraska, he is going to need it

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I think he was slightly entertaining coming to UF until Nebraska came calling.

He will start beating Oklahoma again, which will probably keep him coaching there for awhile, but I don’t think he will be winning championships.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As much as many of us wanted Scott Frost, you can bet the usual suspects would have been apoplectic if he was allowed to bring his entire staff of nobodies here

I am not sure why?

1. Spurrier brought his entire staff of nobodies to UF.

2. I much much prefer having UF's football staff picked by a football coach than an AD.

3. This smacks of Foleyism which has rotted out the core of UF football. UF does great in all the sports Foley didn't/doesn't care about and hires a coach and leaves them alone. UF does much less well in the sport Foley did/does meddle in.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He will start beating Oklahoma again, which will probably keep him coaching there for awhile, but I don’t think he will be winning championships.

I am going to assume that this is a joke.

Please tell me that you realize that Nebraska left the Big 12 several years ago........Please?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

They no longer play OU and haven't since 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.