Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n245530 said:
:lol: our tax dollars at work....
I didn't file the motions, I just answered them.

If it makes you feel better, at that time I made less money than a rookie cop or paramedic and worked considerably more hours.

Dec 10, 2014
AlexDaGator;n244812 said:
I don't think it put him in legitimate fear of anything.

Him being in fear isn't necessary. Him being in "fear" that the act is about to happen is necessary. But the word fear is misconstrued. It merely means the victim thinks the action can can plausibly take place. You can assault somebody by verbal threat or act who isn't in fear of the person carrying out the assault.

Attachments

• conv_3680.gif
    conv_3680.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Dec 10, 2014
NCOGator;n244824 said:
That is why this board rocks it has a lot of people with great knowledge to the board

Be careful. While most of Alex's analysis was completely correct, there was some information that is not correct. If you have a legal question, start with google scholar to get a preliminary understanding of your issue.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Probably the earliest rule I can remember learning is that you don't hit girls, ever, under any circumstance. It's the pussiest thing a man can do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n245702 said:
Can't you be charged with assault with a deadly weapon if you brandished a toy gun that looked real, and the victim thought it was real?
No
Let me take a swing at that. I like the answer no... without more. If you intended to threaten someone with a toy gun (ie in the robbery) and you knew the gun looked real enough that they would assume it was real then it can be a crime. It's really your intent that matters.

Now, if you are playing war with your kids in your frontyard while carrying a realistic airsoft rifle, intending only to chase your kids around the house. The neighbor, Fred, sees you thinks that you have a real gun and represent a threat to him or someone else, and he shoots you. In that case it's Fred's intent (and his perception) that matters as to whether he would be charged or legally privileged to use that force.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
PatDooleySucks;n245704 said:
Be careful. While most of Alex's analysis was completely correct, there was some information that is not correct. If you have a legal question, start with google scholar to get a preliminary understanding of your issue.
I always reference GC for legal advice tho... :fatnanner:

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n245722 said:
Let me take a swing at that. I like the answer no... without more. If you intended to threaten someone with a toy gun (ie in the robbery) and you knew the gun looked real enough that they would assume it was real then it can be a crime. It's really your intent that matters.

Now, if you are playing war with your kids in your frontyard while carrying a realistic airsoft rifle, intending only to chase your kids around the house. The neighbor, Fred, sees you thinks that you have a real gun and represent a threat to him or someone else, and he shoots you. In that case it's Fred's intent (and his perception) that matters as to whether he would be charged or legally privileged to use that force.

No. It's about the weapon. The weapon has to be threatened to be used in a way that can cause great bodily harm. A toy gun can't do that unless we are talking about it being made of steel, and the threat was to beat a person's skull in with it.

Dec 10, 2014
Ray Finkle;n245723 said:
I always reference GC for legal advice tho... :fatnanner:

Just remember. None of these laws, legal definitions, statutes, or anything else involving legality apply when you are in Tallahassee.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I notice there are three lawyers commenting in this thread, and all three say the other ones are wrong. So who are we supposed to believe?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n245430 said:
Probably, but maybe not. I can see that happening. In fact I knew a guy who was a gold glove midlevel "champion" who caught a felony for what I thought should have been a misdemeanor battery.
Everybody I have ever heard of that was a Golden Gloves boxer was a champ. It's gotta be kinda like soccer, where everybody gets a trophy.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,''
- Jimbo Fisher

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;245822 said:
Everybody I have ever heard of that was a Golden Gloves boxer was a champ. It's gotta be kinda like soccer, where everybody gets a trophy.

Ain't that the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.