Full Mac article from anonymous players

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
One of the most discussed aspects of Florida football since the coaching change was how the Strength and Conditioning Program was run by Mike Kent. What are your feelings?

“It was a joke. I love Mike Kent to death, one of the best people I have ever met. Great guy, but it was a joke. We didn't really lift anymore, we stretched. Under coach [Will] Muschamp we lifted heavy, Olympic style lifts. That's football weight lifting. We didn't lift for max or do heavy power lifting under [Jim McElwain] MAC and Kent. Our program wasn't a serious off-season program. There was no accountability. If you missed a workout, there was no you had to make it up or get up and run the next morning. If you missed a workout, you just missed it. They couldn't enforce anything, or they wouldn't, so they started making some things optional. Once you make it optional, what do you think is going to happen? Guys are going to take the option of not showing up.”

Why do you think it fell off so much from Muschamp to McElwain?

“I don't think Kent was ready for a job at this level. I know players at smaller schools that play football and there are some talented guys out there at lower levels, but the program as a whole isn't the same. The intensity isn't the same. It isn't like it's thought of as all fun and games at some other places, but when you get to the SEC, it's a job. It's a job and you are preparing for a bigger job [NFL] if you are talented and lucky enough to make it. If you don't take the off-season serious you don't have a chance when the season starts.

“That first year [2015] it really wasn't noticeable because a lot of our players carried over from coach Muschamp, but starting in that second year, I was as heavy, but I wasn't as strong. When we played teams like Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, we just looked small. I'm a pretty good size for my position, but I remember standing next to Lorenzo Carter and Roquan Smith [of Georgia] and saying to myself, 'Damn, these are some big ass dudes. What are they feeding them over there?' I remember when Roquan visited us in the summer when he was being recruited and he was skinny, and now he looked sculpted. You shouldn't be at Florida and feel intimidated by looking at other SEC players.”

Was it because the weightlifting program was that different?

“That and we have a non-traditional weight-room compared to other big football schools because everyone is in there. Soccer players, volleyball players, baseball, we all work out in the same place and it's not an excuse, but you can't have the same level of focus and intensity and be the way you want to be when all these other outsiders are around, especially females.

You talked about being in a non-traditional weight-room that the football team shares with other players of other sports, it was always that way though, right? Did they do it that way when Muschamp was here?

“Yes, we did but Coach Muschamp and Coach [Jeff] Dillman had an approach to workouts that was very different. They were trying to make their athletes the strongest they could possibly be so they taught them how to strain in a different type of way. That meant we had a different attitude and focus. It's hard to explain. If I'm trying to lift heavy and there are people are around, especially females, it drives you to do more. It pumps you up. That did not always seem to be the case with coach Kent. I mean we look over and see volleyball players doing the same exercises, stretches basically, that we are doing, it makes it hard to get pumped up. We'd laugh about it.”

When something like that takes place, players have to talk, what is the reaction from the staff?

“Speed, speed, speed. We're going to be faster than them is what they would say. That's what they said we were working toward. It got to where players were going off and working on their own without any real guidance or knowledge of what they were doing. I don't care who you are, you aren't going to press as hard on your own as you will if you are working out with others. You shouldn't have to. At Florida you expect to get the best training. Hell, they sell that to you when you are being recruited and then you get here and get the training that we were getting. That's the one thing I shake my head about because that is one thing MAC could have controlled but he didn't care. It isn't like players and other people weren't complaining to him about it.”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That's over, so turning to facilities, how important do you think the new IPF was to your development and does it help in recruiting?

“It is essential because practice can no longer get rained out but I do not think it is that major in recruiting because Indoor facilities have become a necessity for most Division I powerhouse schools. Everyone has one. If we were one of the first it would have been a big deal. Getting one after everyone else was nice because we needed it not because it was special."

Have you seen the renderings of the new football facility to be built where the baseball stadium is now? Thoughts on that?

“It's about time! The kids in high school will get to benefit from it.”

What is the best thing and worst thing about Florida football facility wise?

“That's easy, the Swamp. There's no place like that in the state and only a couple of places like it in college football. LSU is close. Even Tennessee, as many fans as they get in there, that doesn't compare to the Swamp for atmosphere and noise. The good and bad of it, what I will remember most about playing is the Swamp. The fans make it an incredible home field advantage. We shouldn't lose in the Swamp - ever!

“The worst has to be the dorms. I lived in Springs at first, then I moved to Keys before I moved off campus. When you're being recruited they don't try to play up the dorms. They tell us about how much money we'll be getting so we can get a place off campus. We just started getting more money [cost of attendance price was raised] last year. They [college football] just started figuring some stuff out, but for me it's a little too late. They don't make the dorms a big deal in recruiting because we all went on other visits and saw what else is out there. I got friends at Florida State and that's where we're the most behind. They call our dorms Section Eight Housing. Talking about the Hud Housing we have over here. No one is trying to live in our dorms for four years. We have four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and kitchen area but they are old and aren't made for big guys. You can't fit two football players in the hallway at one time.”

Talk about the entire Will Grier saga.

"Will was and is a complete baller. The problem was he and MAC [Jim McElwain] didn't always see eye-to-eye. I'm not saying they didn't like each other personally, but he [McElwain] made it obvious that Will wasn't his first choice. The only reason he was playing Will that year because he had no one else. He tried to force feed the job to Treon [Harris], but he wasn't as talented as Will. That was plain in practice that year, but after they started playing the game on TV and in-front of fans, he couldn't pretend like they were equals. The quarterback MAC really wanted, he had faith in Luke Del Rio, but he had to sit out that year and could play the next year. That was his guy. Everyone could see that he was all in on him [LDR], I mean, he wasn't going to be able to play and they were giving him reps in camp, and was just trying to get through 2015 so he could play his guy the next year [2016 when Del Rio was eligible after sitting out a transfer season]."

Did the team believe Grier and Treon Harris were really equal through fall camp that year?

"No, Will was the better quarterback. Treon was a talented football player if that makes sense, but he wasn't the best quarterback in that offense."

What was the mood of the team when Grier finally started taking over after that season opening game?

"There were some guys who liked Treon because they knew him from high school, so they kind of pulled for him, but everyone was happy when we were winning games with Will. The ball was getting spread around to everyone. What really was the reason behind MAC not doing whatever he could to get Will to stick around was Will is a different kind of leader. He has more of a swag about him than the other quarterbacks we've had. Will would change plays in the huddle if he didn't like the called play. When it worked, they lived with it but didn't really credit him, but when it didn't, they let him know. Will looked for open players not just certain players and he isn't afraid to throw the ball. You might make some mistakes, but you are going to make some plays to if you look at it like that. He has a feel about him. What happened to get him suspended was his own fault, I'm not saying it wasn't or making excuses for him, but it felt like they could have let him serve his time and give him a chance to come back."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it is speculation, but what do you think would have happened had he never failed that test and stayed at Florida?

"Look at what he did for us against Tennessee and Mississippi that year when he was a freshman. Look at what he is doing at West Virginia. Think about him with [Tyrie] Cleveland and [Antonio] Callaway. Think of how many more games we would have won those first two years 2015 and 2016] if we scored 10 more points or two more touchdowns a game. With the defense Coach Muschamp left us, if Will doesn’t get in trouble we have at least one National Championship ring on our fingers. It’s that simple."

Though it was as a transfer, Luke Del Rio was the first quarterback brought in by McElwain and staff.

"That first year MAC was pulling for Luke even though he knew he wouldn't be able to play for another year. At that time he was also courting and recruiting Felipe [Franks]. So you know how that goes. MAC believed Felipe could or would be a better quarterback so he thought Will was disposable. At worst he had what thought was an equally talented quarterback in Luke Del Rio."

Not to say he pushed him out, but it felt like McElwain pretty much showed Grier the door.

"Yes I believe that because all he had to do was promise that Will would get a fair shot at earning his starting spot when he came back from his suspension. Will wasn't trying to get a guarantee he was going to be the starter, he just wanted to know that he would be given a chance. He didn't have to say he was going to be given the job, but that he would have a new start and given a chance to start if he was the best player. He wanted to hear that it wasn't going to be held against him or that Luke [Del Rio] was going to be given the spot no matter what.

"There was a lot of things going on there behind the scenes too to sort of make Will out to be the bad guy. One of the reasons some players went out and got supplements on their own is that we went through spring and summer and we saw the program was different than it was from coach [Will] Muschamp and coach [Jeff] Dillman and some players felt they had to go out on their own and get things on their own. You know why you don't see positive tests in college? It's because everything is provided by the school. When do you have to go get your own vitamins and supplements on your own at a big time program? Then there was stuff coming out to make Will look bad, like he quit on us when he was suspended when it was MAC telling him that he would be a distraction if he came around the team.

"Then, in addition to this MAC was extremely late to the meeting with Will and his father because he was recruiting and meeting with Felipe [Franks] according to multiple teammates. It was like he was sending Will a signal without coming right out and say it."

When there is a quarterback battle like that between Grier/Harris or Franks/Malik Zaire/Del Rio, do players, take sides at all vocally or openly?

"Yes, players are human. You want what's best for the team, but we all prefer a certain quarterback whether it has to do with social aspects (hang with, from same area, etc.) or if we believe that quarterback gives them a better chance of getting to the NFL in their eyes."

When Grier went out, that was pretty much the end of Florida offensively. How did McElwain carry that around the players? The fact that the offense couldn't get on track.

“He blamed the players. He said the plays needed to be run like the players cared. He really didn't see anything wrong with the play-calling or his scheme, he thought the players needed to execute better.”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What are your thoughts on Doug Nussmeier?

“He's a great person. He was never partial to any quarterback, receiver or tight end. He wanted the best players to play and was invested in the offense. I know he took a lot of heat, but he gave everything and he cared. The plays just didn't work when they needed to that’s all. Yeah, that falls on him, but I don't know what else he could have done. It was the same offensive coordinator after Will left that was there when Will was playing. You don't have to be a genius to see that our biggest issue has been quarterback. It was an issue the whole time I was there. The inconsistency at quarterback, we couldn't get over that. That wasn't all Nuss's fault. Who did he have?”

Go back to the very beginning. What was the feeling when Will Muschamp was replaced by Jim McElwain?

“The fans might not agree, but I just knew that coach Muschamp was a good coach and he had a great staff - he just didn't have enough time to get his players in there and develop them. They kind of pushed him out without letting it play out. Look at all the players getting drafted, he recruited them. He was a good person, he was a player's coach. He went thru too many offensive coordinators and couldn't settle on one philosophy or it would have turned out different. It was all a learning curve for him. If he had experience before getting the Florida job, so he wasn't learning on the job, he would have won at Florida.”

Though he was previously an offensive coordinator at Alabama, McElwain came in as a bit of an unknown. What was your first impression of him?

“You're right, he wasn't really a known name when he came in, but he really sold us on a lot of things when he was hired that he didn't uphold at the end. I remember how many players were disappointed when coach Muschamp was fired, but excited about a new start with him [McElwain]. I really think it came down to he wanted us to be just like Alabama. He wanted to be like them so bad, that was his model. He wanted to run their offense, but you can't be Alabama without Alabama talent. Just because you are from [Nick] Saban's [coaching] tree, doesn't mean you are going to have his success. They have their pluses that we don't have, but we have pluses they don't have if we would have used them. With the players we have and that we can get we don't need to run a pure NFL offense. We need to mix it up. We never did that. We never took any chances. He was supposed to change the offense, but we ended up just like we were when coach Muschamp was here, keep the offense from losing it and expect the defense to win it.”

When one side of the ball is doing well and the other side of the ball struggles over a prolonged period of time, does that cause a division at all between the players on offense and the players on defense?

“You probably would think that, but the division was more between the players coach Muschamp recruited and the players MAC brought in. I don't know, I've never been on a team with a coaching change, so I don't know if it is natural or how it usually goes, but MAC, I don't want to say he liked his players more, but he wanted them to do better. He wanted them to be the stars. He wanted to push coach Muschamp's players to the back, but some of them were so talented he didn't have a choice.

“He tried that with Duke Dawson. The other defensive backs who were already there, they were more established, so he couldn't do anything about that, but you could tell they were trying to push [Chris] Williamson, one of MAC's guys over Dawson, who was one of coach Muschamp's guys. MAC talked about everyone was starting out even, everyone was starting over and he was going to build a a great staff and it was nothing but good days ahead and then he brought in that young secondary coach [Kirk Callahan], and that kind of blew up. The older players knew more about playing the position than he did and then he started having favorites and that caused a whole thing. At one time about half the players in the secondary were ready to transfer if MAC didn't do something so he got rid of him [Callahan].”

In your opinion, what was the biggest difference between Muschamp and McElwain?

“The thing with coach Muschamp, he treated everyone the same. He was consistent. If you screwed up, you were punished. He didn't care if he recruited you or you were left over from Urban Meyer. He didn't care if you played offense, or defense, you started or you were a back-up, there was a set of rules and if you didn't follow them, you got punished.

“Ask anyone on the team who was there when coach Muschamp was there to compare the accountability of the players to when he was there to when MAC was there. It was nothing alike. This is going to sound so wrong, like I dislike MAC or that he buried me or something. Without saying who I am (laughing) I didn't. He didn't, I played. It's hard to explain it. I loved MAC. Still do. He was a good person and he cared about his players, but it was hard to take him serious. He was, I don't want to use the word fake, but it never felt right with him. He was a nice enough guy, but it didn't feel like a lot of us players vibed with him. You had to try to make good with him because he is the coach and he is in control and really can make or break you, but I don't know if anyone really had genuine feelings for him. I remember when coach Muschamp was fired, there was almost like an uprising. He was a player's coach. That was our guy. MAC, it was sort of like he never really fit in or it felt like he was our guy. That's from the players who were here under coach Muschamp and the players MAC brought in. When he was in trouble, and we knew he was all but gone, how many players really spoke out in his favor or said that they thought he got a bad deal? I don't know of anyone.”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why is that?

“I think his biggest thing, where he started losing us [players], was because he wasn't consistent. There was a problem with players showing up late to meetings, practices, workouts, whatever. MAC saw it was getting ridiculous so we have a meeting and he made it this big deal where he said that the next time someone is late, he doesn't care who it is, they won't dress for the next game. The next damn day – that shows you how the respect wasn't there – a starter who came in when he wanted, and was late all the damn time, came in late and he still traveled and played. When you see that happen, you start saying to yourself, 'Why am I gonna bust my ass to be on time and do what's right if it doesn't matter?' There was just no accountability. That starter was one of MAC's guys. He came in with him. He wanted the players he brought in to succeed so bad that he overlooked a lot with them. That caused some dissension. Don't get me wrong, that happens, coaches have favorites, but how do you turn your back on that after saying the day before it wasn't going to be accepted from then on? There's going to be favorites, but you can't be so obvious about it and it can be covered when you're winning, but if it comes to light when you're losing, people start pointing fingers and questioning it.

“We are all young and looking to coaches for guidance. We want to have fun playing football, but I've learned as I got older, players our age want accountability and rules to keep us in line so we can move on to that NFL payday. We may act like we don't, but I promise you we love the coaches who give us that guidance more than the coaches who try to be best friends. You can be a good coach, a good guy, but still have rules that we all have to follow.

“MAC was nothing like that. You look at [Antonio] Callaway, he's not a bad person, he just does stupid s__t and they let him do as he pleased. He sure ain't the only player that smokes weed, players know how to finesse the system, but he can't control himself to stop when he needs to (Note: This portion of the interview was conducted prior to the news that Callaway failed his NFL Combine drug test). He didn't like to workout and run, you can look at him and tell he didn't workout. He didn't like to go to class, didn't like team meetings or film study. If he didn't like it, he didn't do it. He did what he wanted and MAC let him. I don't know if it was because he was one of his guys or because he knew how much the team needed him. He [Callaway] came from a culture where if you are good at football, you can get away with anything and MAC didn't do anything to straighten him out. What would have happened if he would have put his foot down with him? He might have straightened up. Or he might have still got in trouble, but he would have been gone so we would have moved on and not have been counting on him as much.”

When you say Callaway came from a culture where he was given a free-pass because of football talent – what do you mean by that?

“Miami players. We are all wearing the same color uniform, but that is a different culture, it's a different planet than from where the rest of us are from. They act different, they carry themselves different. They have a different attitude. The players from down there sort of set themselves apart from the rest of the team. Look at the trouble on the team, failed drug tests, rape allegations or where did most of the suspended [for fraud] players come from? What does that tell you? There are some good people, but most of them, we all have dreams of playing in the NFL, but them, that is their life's mission. That is the only reason they are here is to get to the league and get their people out of there. That's fine. That's okay. I don't know if you really want me to get into how a lot of guys who aren't from there feel about the players who are from there.”

McElwain had a personality that was hard to get a handle on. When he first came in he was fiery, look at the sideline blow-up when Kelvin Taylor made the throat slash gesture, and came off as confident and energetic, but then was all but stoic on the sidelines and press conferences after that.

“When we saw that replay of how that played out [with Taylor] on the sidelines, a lot of players laughed that off as a show. Kelvin was wrong for doing that, but it was like, 'Damn!' Did you ever see him act like that before or act like that again? I don't know if that was him trying to set the tone or make a statement, or what, but it came off like that was for y'all, something for TV. He's nothing like that. It was more like, 'Where did that come from?' That's what I talk about as being fake. You could never get a read on him from one day to another. He was never consistent in anything."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After winning the East back-to-back, heading into that third season plenty of people still weren't sold on Jim McElwain as the head coach. Why do you think that is?

“Even when we were winning the fans, students around campus, people around town, people back home, no one was happy. It didn't feel like a big accomplishment - like it should be celebrated. That's all I heard, we won the East with defense, we aren't playing like Florida should be playing on offense. He had to defend how we won the East two times, you could see he got defensive about it, but it is true, we had to rely on coach [Will] Muschamp players to win and I think it bothered him. On offense, he had the players he brought in and we couldn't score points, we couldn't move the ball and I think that started to wear on him.

“There was already a lot of finger pointing the first two years and then we lost [Jordan] Scarlett and [Antonio] Callaway and we had no clue what to do. They had their mind set on running a scheme and making the players that they had fit into it instead of adjusting the scheme to the players. I think when we lost the players who were suspended, he knew it wasn't going to work out for him here and he was already set on moving on to something new.

“He still cared about how the media perceived him but after we started to lose games he started to behave like he knew his time was coming. I believe he did care about us [players] but he also understood that at Florida you are expected to win games or you will meet the door."

In what will go down as one of the strangest incidents in the history of Florida football, how did McElwain handle the whole 'death threats' saga with the team?

“He told us before he even talked to the media about it. I know some people think he made it up, but he told us about it in a team meeting. He was like, 'I've received death threats, I know Chauncey [Gardner] has received some threats too,' and I was like, he was legit scared, like he really thought that the threats were real. I think that is part of his peronality, to take things to the extreme. That's why he comes off like he is depressed sometimes. I think there was one post toward his [McElain's] wife that was rude, but it wasn't like lets get the FBI in here and investigate this. I don't know anything about players getting real death threats. I saw some of what he thought were threats – it was some dumb_ass fans giving Chauncey a hard time for missing tackles. You always get someone mouthing off online, but I mean someone really planning something out and really threatening to do something, I never heard any of that. I think some fan acting out probably said something and MAC took it too far. He took it to heart. You are going to get fans acting stupid and saying stupid s__t. That's going to happen. At first it came off as he was trying to make it like he was one of us, he is going through everything we were going through. Like I said, he looked scared when he was telling us, like he was ready to go into hiding, but after he talked to us I saw him five minutes later smiling like nothing was going on. But then I think he made a big deal out of because he really didn't want to be here. I think it was too much for him – too much pressure for him. It goes to the shark thing [meme of a naked McElwain lookalike on the back of a shark]. You can't let things like that upset you if you are going to be a head coach. He was too all over the place to be the leader of a team. I think he is sensitive and he tries to hide it with some of the things he does. It all goes back to him coming off as fake.”

You say because of his demeanor it was hard for him to be a head coach, but on a day to day basis, does he really effect a team that much? Doesn't it still come down to X's & O's and Jimmy's & Joe's?

“When the other team has good coaching and as much or more talent, yeah it matters. Like before Georgia, we barely lost to LSU and Texas A&M but we're still in the running to win our division and we need to win this game. We hear all the BS the week leading up to the game, but this is Georgia, we want a piece of them, so we're in the locker-room getting psyched up. Players are jumping around, going around to lockers and getting everyone hype and everyone had forgotten about all the BS off the field that week and we were ready to hit the field. Then here comes MAC, instead of talking about how this is one of our big rivals and if we win it we still got a chance to reach all our goals and getting us fired up to play, all he talked about right before the game was what was going on with him and the rumors of him getting fired. Instead of letting us put that to the side and focus on the game, he made all the BS about him the center point. He was like, 'don't worry about me, put your mind on the game.' It's like, we already did that, now you brought it back up. The atmosphere in the room went from a 10 to a two. It wasn't only you could see guys reaction to it, some guys were speaking out about it, how is he going to bring all that BS up. This is about us playing a game today. Going in we were hyped up ready to play and he took all the air out of us. Look how flat we were. We were ready for it to be over after he talked to us pre-game. Then when we saw the pictures of him laughing coming off the field, we were ready for his ass to be out of there.”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That game of course was the end of his Florida coaching career. What was your initial reaction?

“We found out the same way everyone else found out. We knew he was probably gone, but we found out the same time as everyone else. They sent us a text message after it was already out. They didn't let us know before that or have a team meeting before they told everyone else.”

One of the most telling quotes about the season, maybe about McElwain's tenure at Florida, came after Randy Shannon was named the interim head coach and talked about having fun and bringing energy to practice. That players are going to feed off the attitude of the coach.

“Coach Shannon embraced the idea of just letting us have fun and play football. That is just coach Shannon's personality. That's why players love him. You know what you are getting with him. He's a rock. He's firm, but laid back enough that he lets you be you. I think the biggest difference between him and MAC is that coach Shannon is coach Shannon and MAC might be five different people in a week depending on what day it is. That gets old, never knowing what you are going to get.

"I'll tell you about coach Shannon, the joke is that the best way to play early at Florida is if you are a five-star or from Miami. If you were from Miami you were going to get your shot because coach Shannon looked out for his Miami players. How do you think he gets so many guys from there? It's because he tells the coaches and parents he has the Miami player's backs and he does. You can't get mad about that. S__t, we all wish we had someone like that. The only defensive player who really didn't like him was Brad Stewart – and where was he from? [New Orleans] Not Miami. Anyone of us would love to play for coach Shannon, I don't think anyone would want to play for MAC.

“I want to put this out there because you know someone reading this is going to think that I hate Florida and MAC. Believe me, besides my family and being a Christian, I am more proud of being a Florida Gator than anything else. Let me see you out wearing something with the Gators on it and I will be the first to throw up a Chomp and say 'Go Gators!' Wherever I end up, you can bet my degree will be framed and hung proudly on my wall somewhere. The same with MAC. I love him as a person. Away from football, he is a good man. I really mean that. If I saw him today I would put my arm around him. I don't think he was a good head coach because I don't think he knows who he really is and wasn't ready for this big a job, but that's not his fault. That doesn't stop me from loving him."

Speaking about which coaches players did and didn't like, who were they?

“Off the old staff coach Shannon, coach [Tim Skipper] Skip and coach [Chris] Rumph were the most liked. Some coaches are all business and there's some that are about business, but will let you in a little because they depend on you for your job. Then there are coaches who are more like family, you can go to any one of them and talk about whatever. That's how those three are. Upfront, they'll get on your butt at practice and you'll be ready to fight them, but then afterward they'll come up, put an arm around you and tell you why they jumped on you and what you need to do. It's not all business with them, they talk about their families, and your family and life. It doesn't seem forced with them, they legit care about you.

“The least favorites were MAC and probably coach [Brad] Davis. MAC, the same as I've been saying, he is a good man, and probably going to be a good assistant coach, but I don't think he is steady enough to be a head coach. Coach Davis, when you first meet him and listen to him he sounds like the real deal, but when you listen to him every day you start to feel like that is a front and he is trying to sell you something."

You brought up the tone of the responses, just to be clear, because the head coach was fired, in this edition of the series we are asking questions pertaining mostly to the negative aspects of McElwain's tenure. Overall though, how would you rate your Florida experience on a 1-to-10 scale?

"On a scale of 1-to-10 my time at Florida was a 20. We didn't accomplish our goal of winning a championship, but I loved it and there were many more good times than bad on the field and off it. Besides I wish we could have won more I wouldn't want to change that much. It's still the best years of my life."

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for the posts, Ox. That's a lot to digest. And generally not good. So, we should have kept Muschamp?

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All lies. Byrd says Dooley knows best, and Mcelstain just had bad luck.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Wow, that's eye opening. I don't know that I expected anything different but it still hard to read about your own program. On a positive note it sounds like all the things that were problems under Mac's leadership (or lack thereof) will not be issues someone with Mullen's experience will have a problem with.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Thank you ox. It is articles like this that answers the question of why Florida fans should subscribe to this website.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Enough time has passed and it's the anniversary of his firing, so I figured I'd move this to the main sports forum for those who missed it.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
:mac:

Funny thing about that GIF is that he was asked his thoughts about coach Hardballs. A little foreshadowing there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator