Full Mac article from anonymous players

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Time to move on...we know he f-ed up the program....I am hopeful we have the right guy in place now...time to close that chapter, move on and enjoy being Gators and winning again.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you Ox for posting all of this.

It was a fascinating insight into what went down with Mac. Muschamp was so high-strung, that at first Mac and his folksy ways seemed to be, for want of a better word, charming. And after the Grier incident, when most of us had no clue of what was going on behind the scenes, it seemed Mac was making do as best as he could with what he had. He DID beat Jawja with Treon in 2015. But then it all seemed to go downhill - he couldn't get the offense to work the rest of that year, and he was supposed to be an offensive "genius," the O-Coordinator who had run us out of the Georgia Dome in the 2009 SECCG. It was after that UGA game in 2015 (for the rest of that season) that I began wondering.

It just goes to show that we fans don't really know what's really going on behind the scenes. Everyone here despises Muschamp, but he can be credited for improving the discipline that Urban let get away from him (I remember Muschamp's 1st "incident" - Janoris Jenkins telling Muschamp he could just do what he wanted to with regard to weed, and Muschamp telling him to walk) - and now we read that like Urban's 2010 team, Mac had absolutely no discipline, too.

From reading all of this I realize how fortunate we are (so far) to have Mullen. And it seems obvious that Mac was (1) in over his head (2) did not know how to adjust (re: Grier's departure) and (3) was too folksy, not just with the fans and reporters (re: the in-game interviews), but the players as well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Time to move on...we know he f-ed up the program....I am hopeful we have the right guy in place now...time to close that chapter, move on and enjoy being Gators and winning again.
BS, I hope this stuff keeps being brought up for decades. Hopefully more of these stories will come out. The man is a thief and needs to be humiliated as long as he's alive.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ya know, I bust chops with the best of em, but when it gets personal, that's a deal there... and yet...

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
BS, I hope this stuff keeps being brought up for decades. Hopefully more of these stories will come out. The man is a thief and needs to be humiliated as long as he's alive.

While I wish this could be true nothing will humiliate him, he is wealthy and has a pretty good paying job. I bet he does not care one whit.

Otherwise I agree.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I still to this day don't know how Mac happened. At least Muschamp was a name that was floating for years as the next big head coach even if I didn't want him either. With Mac Foley just threw a dart at a map, went there, and then proceeded to outbid himself on a coach that nobody else was after.

Ironically, Foley was bargain shopping for a diamond in the rough. But, shopping for a coach is like shopping for a used car. If it’s a bargain there is a reason why.

In the end Butters cost Florida many millions of dollars. He wasn’t a bargain at all. Thanks Foley.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
While I wish this could be true nothing will humiliate him, he is wealthy and has a pretty good paying job. I bet he does not care one whit.

Otherwise I agree.
Oh.... he cares. It is why he brought it up constantly.

If you dont care what the public thinks about you, you never mention it one way or the other.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ironically, Foley was bargain shopping for a diamond in the rough. But, shopping for a coach is like shopping for a used car. If it’s a bargain there is a reason why.

In the end Butters cost Florida many millions of dollars. He wasn’t a bargain at all. Thanks Foley.

And it's almost impossible to measure how much he really cost us. Not including his salary & his buyout, but his assistants over-inflated salaries & buyouts. Look at the empty seats in the stadium. I'm sure donations went down. Less UF official merchandise purchased. Local businesses taking a beating on game days. Local homeowners who make an extra $1000 or more parking cars in their lawns losing out. It goes on and on. There's still empty seats from the residual of his incompetence.

I still have a hard time believing the UAA (Foley and company) didn't see what was going on, especially w/ the S&C program. Foley's been here since before Spurrier was hired and probably witnessed at least 5 or more S&C coaches come through. He couldn't tell something was up?

I still can't believe Foley let the facilities, especially dorm rooms, just go to sh*t. While other schools were building 5-star resorts right under his nose. Foley and UAA officials/employees go on several road trips per season, likely visiting every SEC school (and non-SEC schools, such as FSU). They meet w/ these other schools athletic departments and I'm sure they take tours of facilities. How did they not see that we needed upgrades? (and we STILL don't have the upgrades).

It's shameful and Butters is simply a piece of what happened. Plenty of fingers to point. I'd rank the top 4 as: 1) Foley, 2) Butters, 3) Muschamp, 4) Mike Kent

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Local businesses taking a beating on game days.

Although not a game day impact, I’m sure the dental chair vacated by Muschamp when he was canned was not filled by Butters McCantcallaplay

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. How did they not see that we needed upgrades? (and we STILL don't have the upgrades
Still dont have upgrades? Still havent STARTED on upgrades.

Gotta wait on baseball ya know. Dont want to upset those one hundred and thirty fans.

Maybe in a few years they will START on football facilities.

This is fvkking Alice in Wonderland shyt. A CEO in a real business would get fired on the spot for continuing to neglect the profit-maker while screwing around with unimportant stuff.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
And it's almost impossible to measure how much he really cost us. Not including his salary & his buyout, but his assistants over-inflated salaries & buyouts. Look at the empty seats in the stadium. I'm sure donations went down. Less UF official merchandise purchased. Local businesses taking a beating on game days. Local homeowners who make an extra $1000 or more parking cars in their lawns losing out. It goes on and on. There's still empty seats from the residual of his incompetence.

I still have a hard time believing the UAA (Foley and company) didn't see what was going on, especially w/ the S&C program. Foley's been here since before Spurrier was hired and probably witnessed at least 5 or more S&C coaches come through. He couldn't tell something was up?

I still can't believe Foley let the facilities, especially dorm rooms, just go to sh*t. While other schools were building 5-star resorts right under his nose. Foley and UAA officials/employees go on several road trips per season, likely visiting every SEC school (and non-SEC schools, such as FSU). They meet w/ these other schools athletic departments and I'm
sure they take tours of facilities. How did they not see that we needed upgrades? (and we STILL don't have the upgrades).

It's shameful and Butters is simply a piece of what happened. Plenty of fingers to point. I'd rank the top 4 as: 1) Foley,
2) Butters, 3) Muschamp, 4) Mike Kent

That is what you get when you hire a ticket stub tearer to do a real job!!!!!!!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There's no way he didn't know, unless he was being willfully blind. I think Stricklin knew pretty much right away and was disturbed by it (particularly the S&C program), but that didn't stop him from giving raises and extensions, incredibly.

My theory is that they gave Mac a buyout instead of firing him for cause because they didn't want their own blatant incompetence exposed in a lawsuit. Mac could very easily have made the argument that if he was so awful, why was he just given an extension and a raise? Both AD's really crapped the bed.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
There's no way he didn't know, unless he was being willfully blind. I think Stricklin knew pretty much right away and was disturbed by it (particularly the S&C program), but that didn't stop him from giving raises and extensions, incredibly.

My theory is that they gave Mac a buyout instead of firing him for cause because they didn't want their own blatant incompetence exposed in a lawsuit. Mac could very easily have made the argument that if he was so awful, why was he just given an extension and a raise? Both AD's really crapped the bed.

I'm sure that's a huge part of it; but buyouts in college sports are usually about giving the departing coach a financial incentive to keep silent about NCAA violations they know or suspect.

In saying that: I'm sure the "fired for cause" part was brought up by Florida's attorneys when negotiating all this as leverage to drive the settlement down.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
McElstain was fake to the nth degree. He contaminated CFB at UF. Our program has to begin anew at rebuilding its vaunted reputation. Unforgivable. But he's bogged us down enough. Thanks to Mullen & our boys, we've got much better things to focus on. We're at the start-up with only upward advance in sight,

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I still can't believe Foley let the facilities, especially dorm rooms, just go to sh*t. While other schools were building 5-star resorts right under his nose. Foley and UAA officials/employees go on several road trips per season, likely visiting every SEC school (and non-SEC schools, such as FSU). They meet w/ these other schools athletic departments and I'm sure they take tours of facilities. How did they not see that we needed upgrades? (and we STILL don't have the upgrades).

It's shameful and Butters is simply a piece of what happened. Plenty of fingers to point. I'd rank the top 4 as: 1) Foley, 2) Butters, 3) Muschamp, 4) Mike Kent

But our debt ratio was really good.
/byrd

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017

Your list is spot on. Gross negligence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.