Future bookends of the O-Line (2018 recruiting)

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Was just looking at the super early Crystal Ball predictions for next year. We had a nice run of several predictions to the good guys. Specifically, we got a couple of CB predictions for both William Barnes and Nicholas Petit-Frere. They are both listed as offensive tackles. Petit-Frere is the #54 overall player in the 24/7 Composite (#5 OT) and Barnes is the #82 overall player in the 24/7 Composite (#10 OT).

Would love to lock up both of these guys as the future anchors of our offensive line.

http://247sports.com/Player/William-Barnes-82370

http://247sports.com/Player/Nicholas-Petit-Frere-86950

PS - I know 24/7 isn't the preferred site, but was just perusing the Crystal Ball predictions to see who we might be trending with.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fwiw I like 247 except for their rankings.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Fwiw I like 247 except for their rankings.

Do you mean their rankings or the composite they do?

I'm mindful that these services don't have scouts scouting the nation's high schools to evaluate talent. They rely primarily on who is recruiting whom, so a lot of ratings are self-authenticating. (Bama and OSU's interest will generate a high rating thus they will have a top rated class.) Then factor in elite camps - but how does a kid gain interest from an elite camp (big time schools recruiting them.) Much of it is buzz and rumor mill.

So, I like their composite more than any one service's rating. I've never taken the time to dig through Rivals & Scout etc. to see which is more accurate.

I did take the time some years ago to study how accurate the ratings were in Scout.com. What I found was about half the Gator's 5-star recruits became at least starters, 40% of 4-stars did and 1/3rd of 3-stars. 2-star contributors existed but were rare as were walk-ons (despite the annual spring lovable walk-on feature articles.) It was during the Meyer era - when we had a run of 5-star DT busts (John Brown, Torrey Davis, etc.)

Instigator can probably tell us the current info...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you mean their rankings or the composite they do?
Both suck.

I've never taken the time to dig through Rivals & Scout etc. to see which is more accurate.
AC and Peerine being 4 stars on rivals and 3 stars everywhere else says it all. Scouts has ranked Tinerc and teams like that as top or near top classes. They dont weigh positions on other services.

None do any good at comparing the class with needs though, thus Chimp landing a bunch of DBs and flyweight DE/LB hybrids and it being called a good class.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator