Gainesville's own Tom Petty dies from cardiac arrest

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finally got to see him live four years ago in NYC at the Beacon Theater.

My wife's generic password (for accounts she rarely uses) is always TomPetty1 (don't tell her I told you that!!).

Damn shame.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Me and 1000 other people went to a 3 day party at Mudcrutch Farms in 71. Booze, dope. barbecue and music.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Bruce looks a lot like his brother only with brown hair.
Can't say I knew what Tom looked like at the time but I knew he was blonde and the guy I was playing wasn't so that made me suspicious.

Regarding Tom's feelings about Gainesville: Creem magazine use to do an artist profile page. We were disappointed to read that he listed his hobby as "Denying Gainesville roots".

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Devastating news about Tommy. As kids we were next door neighbors on NE 6th Terrace in Gainesville. His dad Earl took me fishing with his younger son Bruce quite often. Tommy had the band room - an old converted laundry room at the back of the house and always there was music. He had a band called the Sundowners as one of the first - we played football right outside the band room - they were always practicing and played ball with us sometimes. Tommy was the real deal - grew up to be an excellent musician, songwriter and producer - super hard worker and one helluva good man. Farewell old friend.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
You can hedge your bet on a clean Corvette--Heavy Metal, Felders' high point.

He's, at best, a footnote. Never, ever, in TP's league.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, one of the very few who can lay claim to being the greatest American rock band EVER. Talents like TP don't come along very often.

And man could he/they bring it in concert.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can hedge your bet on a clean Corvette--Heavy Metal, Felders' high point.

He's, at best, a footnote. Never, ever, in TP's league.
To call Don Felder a footnote is wrong. I'll see your Heavy Metal and raise you a Hotel California.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Has anyone read Petty (by Warren Zanes)? Good info, but hard to read (I didn't like the style of writing by Zanes, took me a while to get through the book).

Interesting from the book, Mike Campbell (one of the Heartbreakers) wrote a lot of songs, made his own album once, and wrote the song "Boys of Summer". Petty didn't like the song and took a pass....Don Henley liked it and recorded it on a solo album. That song was (and still is) a huge hit. That could have been a Petty song.

And yes, it seems like Petty did his best to hide that he was a southerner. Rarely writing songs about anything to do w/ his childhood/growing up in North Central Florida.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And yes, it seems like Petty did his best to hide that he was a southerner. Rarely writing songs about anything to do w/ his childhood/growing up in North Central Florida.

He put the town of Brooker in one of the Heartbreakers songs... if that isn't North Central Florida reference nothing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator