Garage Door

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Go open the door this morning, push the button - it starts going up and down, and the cables bust. Now I can't even manually lift it. :gah:

Luckily the garage door company has 24 hour service. Bad news I fully expect to be severely anal raped when I get the bill.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can release the red latch by the motor and raise it manually. Although it is very heavy.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm trying to remember who you were making fun of for posting some silly crap in the "Help Forum". It was Pif wasn't it? You not asking for help or telling how the repairman fixed your door. This belongs in the lounge where you can follow up on getting raped by a blue collar repairman on a Sunday morning .

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
You can release the red latch by the motor and raise it manually. Although it is very heavy.

I have raised it manually before, but that was with the springs intact. The repair guy is already here, and he pointed out that both springs are broken, making it much heavier, although in spite of that he whipped that door up by himself (I helped a little). This will set me back about $500 parts and labor.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I'm trying to remember who you were making fun of for posting some silly crap in the "Help Forum". It was Pif wasn't it? You not asking for help or telling how the repairman fixed your door. This belongs in the lounge where you can follow up on getting raped by a blue collar repairman on a Sunday morning .

You seem really upset by this. We have made fun of PIF for years. Not sure why this one hurt your feelings so much.

Feel free to copy and paste anything I post in this forum in any other forum if it tickles your fancy. I could care less.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
$450. Uggh. Garage Door repair is a scam.

I will say it is good to have it done within 2-3 hours on a Sunday. I'd rather have than than to spend all day finding somebody $200 cheaper and missing a day of work to get it done.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't that like two weeks pay for you?

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
You can usually replace the springs yourself. Do you have torsion springs? If so, those are tricky and a bit dangerous.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Need someone to laugh at about garage doors? Look this way....

In front of the kids, I stopped the garage door when my wife raised it to pull in. So, from 3' up and stopped, she sends it down then tries to raise it again. Being the cool guy I am, I stopped it again. This time, however, it was about 1' from being fully raised. This is low enough to see, and recognize that you won't fit, unless you are my wife. She proceeds to drive in, scraping the roof rack of the van against the bottom of the door. After bending/breaking the door and asking me what that loud noise was, I quietly shake my head and wonder how much this is going to cost me.

2 weeks later, waiting for companies to return my call, I'm setting aside paycheck dollars for paying for my mistake. I'm a jackass.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Need someone to laugh at about garage doors? Look this way....

In front of the kids, I stopped the garage door when my wife raised it to pull in. So, from 3' up and stopped, she sends it down then tries to raise it again. Being the cool guy I am, I stopped it again. This time, however, it was about 1' from being fully raised. This is low enough to see, and recognize that you won't fit, unless you are my wife. She proceeds to drive in, scraping the roof rack of the van against the bottom of the door. After bending/breaking the door and asking me what that loud noise was, I quietly shake my head and wonder how much this is going to cost me.

2 weeks later, waiting for companies to return my call, I'm setting aside paycheck dollars for paying for my mistake. I'm a jackass.

Hey, but at least you and the kids had a brief laugh, amiright? At least until she tore the roof off of your car.

If I had done that I would have gotten a profanity laced lashing so harsh that would have been considered excessive even for a Showtime series.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Spring repair is usally $125 each. Hopefully he used McButter's Butt Goo.

Yeah, I looked around and figured I could have probably got it done somewhere for around $250, so I was paying $200 for the luxury of getting in done in a few hours on a Sunday. In this case, it was worth it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are going to tell funny garage door stories? Fine, I'll tell mine. There is a reason I know the doors are very heavy when you unload them from the springs. I had the cable get off track on the pulley wheel in one of the corners. I was able to manually raise it up and get it latched at the motor. I unhook the cable and get it untwisted. But now I need to lower the door. I unlatch it from the motor with the red handle and it came crashing down with an incredible speed and force. It blew out all the windows and it crushed a little by its own weight. There was no saving that door. Thank goodness I moved the vehicles out of the garage first. I still shake my head about that fuk up.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The door is probably 20 years old. I have no idea how old the springs were. I don't recall if they had ever been changed.

The garage door industry gives an average life expectancy of about 10,000 actions or 7 years (approximately) for wire torsion springs. If you got 20 years out of the hardware, you were operating on borrowed time.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
The garage door industry gives an average life expectancy of about 10,000 actions or 7 years (approximately) for wire torsion springs. If you got 20 years out of the hardware, you were operating on borrowed time.

They may have been changed along the way, hard to tell. I know we had the opener replaced a couple of times so we may have swapped out springs too.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
We are going to tell funny garage door stories? Fine, I'll tell mine. There is a reason I know the doors are very heavy when you unload them from the springs. I had the cable get off track on the pulley wheel in one of the corners. I was able to manually raise it up and get it latched at the motor. I unhook the cable and get it untwisted. But now I need to lower the door. I unlatch it from the motor with the red handle and it came crashing down with an incredible speed and force. It blew out all the windows and it crushed a little by its own weight. There was no saving that door. Thank goodness I moved the vehicles out of the garage first. I still shake my head about that fuk up.

This is why I outsource projects like this. If somebody like you fuxks it up, lord knows the damage I would cause attempting it. :lol:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Once the door is up wouldn't it stay up? I've manually raised and lowered my door and it doesn't fall by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator