Gator Baseball Gator Baseball: UF vs. Missouri

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Sweep, great series boys

Yep, but I must admit to being a bit worried about UF being so hot so early. In baseball and golf your team being hot early in the season might lead to regression to the mean late in the season. In track, tennis, swimming, football, gymnastics, etc barring injury you can usually maintain your level or pretty close to it. That is not always so in golf and baseball. I think basketball might fall somewhere in between.

Last edited:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, but I must admit to being a bit worried about UF being so hot so early. In baseball and golf you team being hot early in the season might lead to regression to the mean late in the season. In track, tennis, swimming, football, gymnastics, etc barring injury you can usually maintain your level or pretty close to it. That is not always so in golf and baseball. I think basketball might fall somewhere in between.

THIS! It always worries me when your hot early and I'd say it's the most evident in basketball but certainly baseball as well. I just hope we don't hit a slump with the bats. I think the pitching will stay solid.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good weekend sweep for the boys to close the first half of the SEC with a terrific 12-3 record. Second half is a tough schedule with 9 road games and 6 home games. Each game against Mizzou followed the exact same script and each game was a nailbiter until one thing occurred. Game 1, the score was tied at 1 when Mizzou replaced their starting pitcher, Gators win 3-1. Game 2, UF led 3-2 when Mizzou replaced their starting pitcher, Gators win 10-2. Game 3, UF led 2-1 when Mizzou replaced their starting pitcher, Gators win 7-2. What we knew about Mizzou going into the series was spot on. Mizzou has very good starting pitching, Mizzou can't hit a lick and Mizzou's bullpen is horrendous. But to our guys credit, they turned up the bats when the bullpen was called upon and took the games over, like good teams do.

JJ swung a nice bat all weekend with a monster homer, but even better with hits to center and right fields. Langworthy swinging much better, and Indy is still red hot. Indy is POY in the SEC right now and possibly nationally. Dyson a very little better yesterday but still worried about him. He has a great arm, but 100 pitches after 5 innings after going less than 3 innings last week. is concerning. Baker was awful yesterday and got the hook early. Butler was great again and Byrne was good all weekend when games were tight but got hit a bit when he had big lead yesterday.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Its only the middle of the season so we can't crown ourselves National Champs like UCF does. Gotta play out the season and stay hot. Only takes one cold weekend and you are done. Go Gators!!
Actually it's more like two thirds of the way through, and I'm aware that the remaining games count. However, my original observations and question are still reasonable, IMO. If you don't care to address them until after the world series (if at all) that's ok too.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The two Oregon State teams that won back to back were great teams. Other than that, this team is right up there. Maybe the Vandy team from a few years ago?

Yeah, OSU has produced some great teams, no doubt. That Vandy team was probably the best SEC team, outside of G'ville, I've seen in recent years. LSU is really good at times as well, but I still think that this year's UF team is more balanced and complete overall than anything I've seen out of red pole - to this point in the season at least.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer the early excellence. Early start means more 'in-game' practice at doing the right things. More than prior teams, this band of hitters seem honed in on effective technique along with determination to collapse the opponent.
Besides, we get to enjoy more victories, while youngster players are afforded more opportunities to develop. Keep going Gators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.