Gator Basketball Ranked #10 by Blue Ribbon

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/12673/blue-ribbon-ranks-gators-10th/

Despite losing four starters from a Final Four team, Florida still enters 2014-15 considered among the nation’s elite programs.
The Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook ranked Florida No. 10 in its annual preseason. The magazine, considered the most comprehensive basketball preview guide in the country, also picked the Gators to finish second in the Southeastern Conference behind preseason No. 1 Kentucky.
Florida returns starting junior guard Michael Frazier II, who led the SEC in 3-point shooting percentage last year (44.7 percent). In addition, the Gators bring back combo forward and SEC sixth man of the year Dorian Finney-Smith, sophomore McDonald’s All-American point guard Kasey Hill and sophomore McDonald’s All-American forward/center Chris Walker, a projected NBA lottery pick.
In its synopsis of the Gators, the Blue Ribbon writes:
“Even with the loss of four senior starters, this is still a team capable of making deep run in the NCAA Tournament. But there are question marks. Can Hill handle the demands of point guard full time and stay injury free? Can Frazier mix-up his game and be productive when his 3-point shot isn’t falling? Can Chris Walker figure things out on the defensive end of the floor and play within the system and unselfishly on offense?
And what about defense? Will Florida be as committed at that end of the floor after losing four senior starters that had the skill and will to lock down opposing teams?
How much this current group of Florida players learned from the seniors that preceded them could wind up the difference between another Final Four season or an early NCAA Tournament flop.”
Here is Blue Ribbon’s complete Top 25:
1. Kentucky
2. Arizona
3. Wisconsin
4. North Carolina
5. Duke
6. Kansas
7 Wichita State
8. Virginia
9. Gonzaga
10. Florida
11. Louisville
12. Texas
13. Villanova
14. VCU
15. Ohio State
16. Connecticut
17. San Diego State
18. Iowa State
19. SMU
20. Michigan State
21. Syracuse
22. Stanford
23. Michigan
24. Nebraska
25. Oklahoma
The Gators will play at No. 6 Kansas in the SEC-Big 12 challenge on Dec. 5 and will host No. 16 Connecticut on Jan. 3 in a Final Four rematch. In addition, Florida could face No. 3 Wisconsin in its second game and either No. 25 Oklahoma or No. 4 North Carolina in its third game at the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament in the Bahamas.
Blue Ribbon isn’t the only magazine high on the Gators this preseason. Athlon ranks Florida eighth in the country and second in the SEC in its college basketball preview.
Other notes:
– Third-year sophomore guard Dillon Graham and fourth-year junior guard Eli Carter are both healthy enough to be taking part in individual drills this month. Graham is coming off offseason hip surgery, while Carter is still trying to get back to full strength after a broken leg sidelined him in February of 2013 when he was at Rutgers. The Gators are hopeful that either Graham or Carter could recover to give Florida an experienced third option in the backcourt behind projected starters Hill and Frazier.
– Miami transfer forward Ivan Cruz Uceda was ruled ineligible for the first half of the season on Wednesday. The 6-foo-10, 237 pound Uceda, a transfer from Harcum (Pa.) College, will sit out Miami’s matchup at Florida on Nov. 17 and won’t return until Jan. 13 against Duke. Uceda was ruled ineligible for the first half of a season of the due to a rule that requires student-athletes to enroll in college one year after graduating high school. The Hurricanes have high hopes for Uceda, a JUCO transfer who averaged 14.6 points and 9.6 rebounds in leading Harcum to the NJCAA Division I semifinals.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand some of the teams being ahead of of us. Especially unc. Either way I expect some drop off this year from last year. I also think this team may be more exciting offensively. I think we have some huge question marks under the basketball. I wish the sun did more basketball updates

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
With the senior class we lost and DeVon Walker being out for the year, #10 sounds about right.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good news.

Looks like the SEC will be a powerful b-ball conference again (j/k)....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n62387 said:
With the senior class we lost and DeVon Walker being out for the year, #10 sounds about right.
Brandone francis was going to take most of his minutes anyways.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n62400 said:
Brandone francis was going to take most of his minutes anyways.

I don't know about that... Walker had become a very good defender and while Fancis may have that reputation.. it's one thing to do it in HS vs. prove it against our schedule.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Walker needs to play "all SEC". Hope so. Looking forward to Donovan-magic.
For awhile Florida is a basketball school.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n62422 said:
I don't know about that... Walker had become a very good defender and while Fancis may have that reputation.. it's one thing to do it in HS vs. prove it against our schedule.

Walker was a decent defender but he was a liability on offense. Francis played a pretty high level of competition and should be. Decently polished

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looking forward to some hoops this Fall. :happy:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n62427 said:
Walker was a decent defender but he was a liability on offense. Francis played a pretty high level of competition and should be. Decently polished

I hope that is true. Walker was becoming a better shooter and hit some 3s for us during the season... I was hoping to see him gain confidence. I am also interested to see what Eli and Graham can do if they are healthy.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Florida Basketball! :yes: Can't wait for the nightmare to end and the fun to begin.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n62437 said:
I hope that is true. Walker was becoming a better shooter and hit some 3s for us during the season... I was hoping to see him gain confidence. I am also interested to see what Eli and Graham can do if they are healthy.

I have zero confidence in Graham. But if Eli Carter can get healthy look out. Well have. Another scorer . A guy that when healthy can create his own shot. Something we kinda lacked last year. Also another ball handler. Him and kyrie Irving are good friends that played aau. Ball together. They even work out together some in the off season

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n62456 said:
I have zero confidence in Graham. But if Eli Carter can get healthy look out. Well have. Another scorer . A guy that when healthy can create his own shot. Something we kinda lacked last year. Also another ball handler. Him and kyrie Irving are good friends that played aau. Ball together. They even work out together some in the off season

Graham has been hurt the past couple of years, but he has put on muscle mass. If he can give us quality minutes it is a bonus.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The key every year is the extent that the players buy into and execute "Billy Ball". Look at last year...we had to practice using the equipment managers and play walk-ons early in the season...but the team bought in and were successful. The stars were the ones who played within the system. Granted Wilbekin took over, and every team needs a go to guy (Frazier?). We have top 10 talent...should have a top ten team. Can't wait to see them play!

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am going to enjoy every single day Billy Donovan is here as head coach, no matter where we are ranked.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have no issue with us being ranked 10th. I was just saying I have issues with some of the teams getting love because of who they are. Either way preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing. If I remember correctly we didn't start the season ranked when we won our first title

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Can't wait to watch some Gator hoops. Lots of question marks, but with Billy at the helm I suspect he'll get the most out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.