Gator Country articles

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty good stuff as a primer on the spread.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/film-room-exploration-modern-spread-part-one/

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/film-room-exploration-modern-spread-part-2/

http://www.chatsports.com/florida-g...oration-of-the-modern-spread-part-3-2-9994515

I like a writer who actually knows what he's talking about. Hope he gives some more regarding the specifics of what Roper plays, though from my limited time watching Duke's bowl game it seems to be pretty standard spread stuff.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good reads. Thanks for sharing.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Good read. The high school I played for ran the veer, and he is right on point with the schemes. I'm excited to return to the spread. We do not have the 5 star offensive lineman to run a pro style offense successfully and consistently. The spread will allow us to showcase the talent in the state of Florida.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n9475 said:
Pretty good stuff as a primer on the spread. http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/film-room-exploration-modern-spread-part-one/ Not to be an @ss, but you've got a QB and 5 skill players (plus depth) to go with a handful of formations. It isn't so much what Roper does, what plays we run, IMO as it is how it is schemed for the opponent, the talent level of the skills and QB, and the execution. If these variables aren't good to better and working in sync, it doesn't matter what plays we can run. Roper, I think, will be the difference-maker compared to what we have had from Champ's previous OC's. http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/film-room-exploration-modern-spread-part-2/ http://www.chatsports.com/florida-g...oration-of-the-modern-spread-part-3-2-9994515 I like a writer who actually knows what he's talking about. Hope he gives some more regarding the specifics of what Roper plays, though from my limited time watching Duke's bowl game it seems to be pretty standard spread stuff.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when the GreenBay Packers would come up to the line of Scrimmage, tell you what play they were running and you still couldn't stop them. They didn't have the most talented players but every man knew his job and executed his assignment.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was to be a part of my previous quoted post... Roper should be the difference maker in taking the three most important variables: 1) 5 skill players and QB (plus depth); game plan for each opponent; execution. Doesn't matter how many or what kind of plays in the offense; rather, the aforementioned variables have to be in sync and operating at good to better for us to enjoy greater success this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
cover2 said:
This was to be a part of my previous quoted post... Roper should be the difference maker in taking the three most important variables: 1) 5 skill players and QB (plus depth); game plan for each opponent; execution. Doesn't matter how many or what kind of plays in the offense; rather, the aforementioned variables have to be in sync and operating at good to better for us to enjoy greater success this season.
I agree, C2. I suppose everyone knows how I feel about the likelihood of our QB making the right reads and executing and the other players syncing with that. We know what they have done in the past, and we know that some expect great improvement and some find it unlikely. Still, I thought the concepts were useful for those who didn't understand what was going on in all those plays. I had heard about but never really bothered looking for explanations of the plays where the mike is the QB's primary read.

And we'd like you to be an ass sometimes. Everything is better with a little pepper.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. I hope you post part 4 of the series when it comes out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does it make anyone else just a little bit nervous that Roper's offenses at Duke never did squat against the 2 good defenses there - (FSU and VT) or Bama when they played them ? I know they were outmanned but it is offense where you see out talented teams have some success against the better teams usually. Hopefully our offensive personnel are a lot better than Duke's which you would think.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes we should have at least 9, 10, 11 athletes better than Duke on the field each play. This number pokes holes in those lofty defenses.
They are constantly in trouble for tripping up in just the wrong spot defense. We strike. We march. Go 2014 Gators.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n9475 said:
Pretty good stuff as a primer on the spread.

I like a writer who actually knows what he's talking about.
You'd think as much as we have to pay for the subscription to this site that Ox would hire some half-ass writers for our entertainment. Who knows, I'll bet Dooley could be had for the cost of a new MP3 player.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n9659 said:
Does it make anyone else just a little bit nervous that Roper's offenses at Duke never did squat against the 2 good defenses there - (FSU and VT) or Bama when they played them ? I know they were outmanned but it is offense where you see out talented teams have some success against the better teams usually. Hopefully our offensive personnel are a lot better than Duke's which you would think.
No...chances are you are going to have your worst games against the best teams you play. The last 4 years we haven't even really outplayed the directional schools and only really blew out 1 team (USCe) and that was basically a fluke. Im ready for us to get some excitement back even against the crappy teams. We do that and we should still be functional enough to play with even the best teams with our defense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n9737 said:
No...chances are you are going to have your worst games against the best teams you play. The last 4 years we haven't even really outplayed the directional schools and only really blew out 1 team (USCe) and that was basically a fluke. Im ready for us to get some excitement back even against the crappy teams. We do that and we should still be functional enough to play with even the best teams with our defense.
Also I'd like to look at a common opponent, Miami. They almost hung 50 on them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
-THE DUDE-;n9737 said:
Also I'd like to look at a common opponent, Miami. They almost hung 50 on them.
And not many teams moved the ball well against either one of those teams last year. Bama was real sluggish against va tech.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n9588 said:
Good read. The high school I played for ran the veer, and he is right on point with the schemes. I'm excited to return to the spread. We do not have the 5 star offensive lineman to run a pro style offense successfully and consistently. The spread will allow us to showcase the talent in the state of Florida.
I think we had the talent to run the pro style offense as far as recruit rankings among the offensive line. I think depth ,player development and coaching is the cause of our ****ty line play.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that player development and coaching did not help anything. We will see if running a scheme with better angles and matchups improves the Line play this year.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
He played aTm pretty damn good in last year's bowl game. They nearly beat them with nowhere near the same level of talent.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
JC_Gator;n9588 said:
I think we had the talent to run the pro style offense as far as recruit rankings among the offensive line. I think depth ,player development and coaching is the cause of our ****ty line play.
yep and the fact that last year we only had 2 that played every game ( Garcia and Harrison).And only Harrison played in the same position all year.It isn't really a winning combination for good line play.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
aTm had one of the worst defenses in the country last year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n9785 said:
I agree that player development and coaching did not help anything. We will see if running a scheme with better angles and matchups improves the Line play this year.

The OL was a bright spot in the Spring game as they were pulling good etc. and handled the hurry up pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator