Gator Country articles

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n9953 said:
The OL was a bright spot in the Spring game as they were pulling good etc. and handled the hurry up pretty well.
They weren't facing an all out blitz like they will be when the season starts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have trouble with this assertion. I think I saw 6 or 8 time Driskel would have been sacked. And they weren't allowed to blitz or stunt and our best pass rusher was on the sideline. Admittedly, as usual, most of that was Driskel's fault and Roper was screaming get the ball out (faster) the whole time. However, I certainly wouldn't say the OL was the bright spot of the offense.

The good news is the other two had no trouble getting the ball out quickly. I don't remember either of the other two QBs creating a sack.

I guess to me the bright spot was we were at least trying to move and score although we looked pretty disjointed doing it, which is to be expected with a new offense. Time will tell if we continue to look that way later.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n10176 said:
I have trouble with this assertion. I think I saw 6 or 8 time Driskel would have been sacked. And they weren't allowed to blitz or stunt and our best pass rusher was on the sideline. Admittedly, as usual, most of that was Driskel's fault and Roper was screaming get the ball out (faster) the whole time. However, I certainly wouldn't say the OL was the bright spot of the offense. The good news is the other two had no trouble getting the ball out quickly. I don't remember either of the other two QBs creating a sack. I guess to me the bright spot was we were at least trying to move and score although we looked pretty dysjointed doing it, which is to be expected with a new offense. Time will tell if we continue to look that way later.
Yeah, he would've been sacked numerous times if that was all out. He's still got time to get it down.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I did see some times Driskel would have been sacked but I still thought the O line looked improved - they pulled pretty good and I saw some of the lineman getting a good push on the defenders and they had no problem for the most part with the hurry up. I do realize the defense was at a disadvantage however.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. It did look as if they got a good push and stayed on their blocks more than what was witnessed last year. In addition they didn't seem as gassed as last year but I am sure that had to do with having more bodies available. I expected a lot of rust especially with installing this new offense and yes Driskel coulda/woulda been sacked but he'll have to do what Roper says on "get the ball out" quicker. That will come or he'll find someone who will.

Dugaboy

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel is a good SEC quarterback; he's big and runs fast. His experience has been slowed by poor training from three OCs and Qback coaches. He has been told that. He believes that. His confidence - though shaken badly in the past years - apparently has returned. His strength is coming back as time passes. He has been told his offensive line is going to be better, and he has been told he will be able to gallop off to the left or right is some of the plays in the book, which is what he wants to do.

He has a cannon for an arm, and when he completes a long down field pass play after checking off the two primary receivers, he really gets excited.

I think he will do fine this year if the Ghosts of Christmas Past will leave him, and all he can hear is the roar of the crowd...

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dugaboy said:
Driskel is a good SEC quarterback; he's big and runs fast. His experience has been slowed by poor training from three OCs and Qback coaches. He has been told that. He believes that. His confidence - though shaken badly in the past years - apparently has returned. His strength is coming back as time passes. He has been told his offensive line is going to be better, and he has been told he will be able to gallop off to the left or right is some of the plays in the book, which is what he wants to do.

He has a cannon for an arm, and when he completes a long down field pass play after checking off the two primary receivers, he really gets excited.

I think he will do fine this year if the Ghosts of Christmas Past will leave him, and all he can hear is the roar of the crowd...
Excellent post! It's up to Roper to build his confidence back to where it needs to be and up to Jeff to work on the timing with his receivers this offseason.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n10176 said:
I have trouble with this assertion. I think I saw 6 or 8 time Driskel would have been sacked. And they weren't allowed to blitz or stunt and our best pass rusher was on the sideline. Admittedly, as usual, most of that was Driskel's fault and Roper was screaming get the ball out (faster) the whole time. However, I certainly wouldn't say the OL was the bright spot of the offense. The good news is the other two had no trouble getting the ball out quickly. I don't remember either of the other two QBs creating a sack. I guess to me the bright spot was we were at least trying to move and score although we looked pretty disjointed doing it, which is to be expected with a new offense. Time will tell if we continue to look that way later.
I thought Grier looked really good. But he's not ready from a physical standpoint. Morninwheg looked good as well. Which was surprising. Driskel at times looked the best. And at other times he looked the worst. I just don't know...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
One good thing about losing the GSMB was that all the written misery about last season was wiped away forever. It's like a fresh start. Other than law, everyone is remaining more upbeat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n10329 said:
One good thing about losing the GSMB was that all the written misery about last season was wiped away forever. It's like a fresh start. Other than law, everyone is remaining more upbeat.

I've seen this movie already and I know the way it ends.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
oxrageous;n10329 said:

I've seen this movie already and I know the way it ends.
We certainly will see.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
From my perspective of the spring game, I was actually excited to see the running lanes created out of the spread. Taylor, Jones, Brown, and Lane will be able to get in space more simply because we will have 3-5 receivers to account for on the field. All we need is an effective passing game and we could be in business.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
The spring game means absolutely zip.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n10372 said:
How is the sequel?
Muschamp_William_Florida_Gators_Football_110213_USAToday.jpg

Ray-Goff.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law, you've really put all your cards on the table. If Muschamp ends up successful, you'll never live it down. Although many feel the odds are in your favor at this point. :lol:

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;10376 said:
The spring game means absolutely zip.
I disagree. If nothing else it gives momentum. It also displayed we actually are running a different offense.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You're kidding right? Momentum? It's practice man, practice.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;10409 said:
You're kidding right? Momentum? It' practice man, practice.
I agree that it doesn't mean much. But to say it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb