Gator Baseball Gator pitching coach flips off Walton, signs with Sooners

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I’m in total shock, softball is all I have left. Ocala get in here and talk me off the ledge.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Can we sign Oklahoma's former pitching coach? Pretty big loss. Rocha may be the best pitching coach in college. Think of all the pitchers she's coached from Nelson to Barnhill.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m in total shock, softball is all I have left. Ocala get in here and talk me off the ledge.

Dude, you couldn’t have made a more misleading thread title if you wanted. She is leaving for her alma mater and is gushing praise on Walton & the Gator organization.

While I lament the loss of her skills, I wish her the best & am thankful for what she’s done for us.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Dude, you couldn’t have made a more misleading thread title if you wanted. She is leaving for her alma mater and is gushing praise on Walton & the Gator organization.

While I lament the loss of her skills, I wish her the best & am thankful for what she’s done for us.

This. Her husband has family there and they recently adopted a child if I remember correctly.
And if you’re looking long term. Patty Glasso, the coach at OU is in her late 50’s as opposed to Walton who is like 45

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

So you think because of the thread title posters actually think she flipped Walton the Bird? Are you sure you know what board you logged into? Would you have even wished her luck in this thread without this thread title?
I praised her as the best ever and wish her the best as well, but my thoughts are with our program and I'm sure despite the circumstances Walton is not happy about her going to our biggest rival.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know what the hell you people are talking about. Thought we were talking baseball.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
(1)So you think because of the thread title posters actually think she flipped Walton the Bird? (2)Are you sure you know what board you logged into? (3)Would you have even wished her luck in this thread without this thread title?
I praised her as the best ever and wish her the best as well, but my thoughts are with our program and I'm sure despite the circumstances Walton is not happy about her going to our biggest rival.

(1) In today’s world? You bet. Besides, you failed to link anything about what you started a thread about. The fact that her departure went down 100% opposite of what your thread title states is poor sarcasm at best.(if that was what you seem to be inferring your intent was)

(2) I’m fully aware of what site I’m logged into. In fact, I participate in more posts dripping in sarcasm than not since I loiter in the PF quite often. But thanks for checking.

(3) Yes, I absolutely would post a thank you & best wishes in any thread about her classy departure for a spot with her alma mater where she would likely hope to aspire to the head coaching position in the future.

I guess I can’t understand why you’d even make such a statement, even if jest, given how she’s handled this so professionally.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Such pointedly inaccurate pot-stirring titles is something I hate. Given the nature of the site, it happens often around here. Whatever. :dunno:

What? Link? Not in this thread, obviously.

Walton may not be happy, but that isn't stated in the article you linked about this. Oh...wait.

As for going to a rival...if a coach is that damn good, she doesn't need to leave for a podunk college and can command a position at another powerhouse program. I wouldn't call OU a rival, but I don't follow softball that close.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Can't sugarcoat this, man. Jen Rocha leaving is a blow to the softball program. But I can't fault Rocha for her move. She & her husband are both OK grads and from what I read they have family in Norman. If she wants to be a head coach at a major program it will happen sooner there than in Gainesville. Patty Gasso is 56, Tim Walton 45, plus he just signed a 10 year contract extension. Gasso's contract runs through 2024, so she ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I, also, have to believe that Rocha got a major bump in pay for making what on paper is a lateral move. Gasso was made the first million dollar/year softball coach in the NCAA in 2017. I can't find what Coach Walton makes now, but in 2010 he was being paid $253,000/yr. I read in a June 4, 2018 article that his base salary for 2018 was $305,000. The recent 10-year extension probably gave him another significant raise, (that same article I referenced previously suggested $500,000/yr. link:https://chomptalk.com/2018/06/04/my-two-bits-could-tim-walton-bolt-for-texas/) but I would bet it's nowhere near what OU is paying Gasso. More than likely Rocha was being paid 1/3 to 1/2 what Walton was getting, so her pay was probably in the $150-175,000 range. If OU is paying their head coach $1 million/year, I would think they would pay their Associate Head Coach, now Rocha, somewhere around $350-450,000, maybe tripling her pay at UF. This is all my educated guessing, but there's no doubt that on top of the personal reasons, getting a significant increase in salary to go back to her alma mater had to make the move almost impossible to resist. And by the way, the move was triggered when Oklahoma's Associate head coach took the head job at Oregon, which opened because that guy took the head job at Texas. Jen Rocha was, obviously, one of the best developers of pitchers in the NCAA and the girls clearly love her. She & Walton appear to be best of friends. But this was an opportunity she had to take advantage of. Wish her only the best. Now the big deal is who can Tim Walton hire to replace her? That decision will impact recruiting and the future success of this team in a major way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.