Gator player tips in FSU's final shot to lose at buzzer

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140149 said:
You guys obviously didn't watch the game. FSU had three seconds left when they in-bounded the ball. He had to move, turn, and release a long shot. By the time it got to the rim, there was under a second. Didn't you guys even watch the replay?

Here is the video Kruetz hit it with 1 second left.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Feel bad for Kurtz and the Gator boys. They have some scoring issues, but they fought hard even when it was obvious the refs were serving up some home cooking. It was going to OT until Kurtz misjudged the rebound and scored one for the bad guys. Seems like the story of the 2014-2015 Gator boys. They have almost zero continuity from game to game and it shows on the court. We need 5 starting guys to stay healthy for a few games so they can find some chemistry together. Right now they just don't have any at all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140149 said:
You guys obviously didn't watch the game. FSU had three seconds left when they in-bounded the ball. He had to move, turn, and release a long shot. By the time it got to the rim, there was under a second. Didn't you guys even watch the replay?

[video=youtube;mlf6XxTslts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlf6XxTslts[/video]

Okay, that helps, but that's still enough time for an FSU defender to come crashing the boards and get the put-back. So what happens if Kurtz stands back with his hands behind his back and an FSU front court guy does an all-in-one leaping grab and put-back to seal the win? Then Kurtz is the fall guy for having done nothing. It's a no-win situation if you ask me. His leap occurred before the ball came down and I'm quite sure he was as surprised as anyone over how far short the shot was, hence he accidentally tipped it rather than the easy catch.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
BNAG8R;n140148 said:
WTF does Donovan know. We have our new Werner! Get him boys!

Big difference between the 2. Kurtz is not on scholarship, and asked to play way more than a walk on should. He's actually decent for a non athletic walk on. I still have no clue how that happened. Maybe he thought it was an airball when it actually grazed the rim.

If Mr. Glass (AKA Eli Carter) doesn't keep getting injured we actually might win a game.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140149 said:

[video=youtube;mlf6XxTslts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlf6XxTslts[/video]

Why would he even be near the basket defending? There obviously wasn't enough time for an FSU player to tip in a rebound... oh, wait.

He did nothing wrong. He made a play on a shot to keep it from being tipped in, and got a horrible break. The other 47:59 of the game was why we lost, not this one bad bounce.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well since I really like him it was painful to hear about this. I bet he feels much worse than anybody else. I gave up when we were not making any headway late in the game and was happy to hear that we continued to fight and made it possible to go to OT. Watching we still have issues in shooting and moving folks around a lot seems to indicate that we don't have six best folks to use mostly. Walker looked better but still way off what we might expect. Plenty of room for improvement especially if one injury prone person can remain healthy. Remember we lost 4 starters and have several new players to incorporate including some freshmen that seem to me to have a lot of potential.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It shouldn't have come down to Kurtz's tip-in. We had SEVENTEEN turnovers in that game, and until the team learns to significantly limit those, we are going to struggle. The one down-court pass (was it early in 2nd half, or late in 1st?) where the Gator didn't even look for it and the ball was intercepted - fault of player who threw it or player who didn't look for it? Either way, it was indicative of the way we played.

Also, F$U went to the line something like 25 times (I think 17 of 25). I'm not faulting the refs here, just an observation that our D has to be better if we're going to want to win by limiting opponent shots while the clock isn't moving. And, of course, make our own FTs, which we didn't (I think 3 of 8, or maybe worse than that).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A play like this happens so fast, you really don't have the time to process all the different angles as you're preparing to make your move. You go from instinct, and Kurtz's instincts were correct given the situation. If you ran this play another 1,000 times, there's not a chance this same outcome happens again.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Kurtz did not fck up. He got postion. No way he can watch the clock and the ball. He had a guy blocked out but no way he can tell if it is one of those 7 footers trying to tip over him. The ball grazed his hand and went in. It happens, rarely, but it happens, If you want to make him a goat then you are a ignorant about how things can happen on a basketball court. Having played in at least a thousand games I can vouch for him.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
SavannahGator;n140202 said:
It shouldn't have come down to Kurtz's tip-in. We had SEVENTEEN turnovers in that game, and until the team learns to significantly limit those, we are going to struggle. The one down-court pass (was it early in 2nd half, or late in 1st?) where the Gator didn't even look for it and the ball was intercepted - fault of player who threw it or player who didn't look for it? Either way, it was indicative of the way we played.

Also, F$U went to the line something like 25 times (I think 17 of 25). I'm not faulting the refs here, just an observation that our D has to be better if we're going to want to win by limiting opponent shots while the clock isn't moving. And, of course, make our own FTs, which we didn't (I think 3 of 8, or maybe worse than that).

1473.gif

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Losing to FSU and the U in hopps in the same season? A freaking disaster! :( Brutal way to lose. Not sure what Billy can do for this team this year. I knew they would take a step back after the final four run last season but not this big of a step back.

On a side note mens sports at Florida is down. Only the women won NCAA titles in the past school year winning 2. When women's sports at UF is more reliable than men's sports that is concerning.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ugh. I know it's Kurtz, and this loss does not ride on his shoulders, but It's a scary thought that we still have a walk-on on the court in a tie game with 2.4 seconds to play, in late December when we have a full roster (minus Carter who apparently got hurt, again). I've predicted before that these guys would figure it out by the time conference play rolls around, but time's running out and I'm beginning to lose faith. Ugly display of basketball last night, ugly.

Attachments

• conv_1758.jpg
    conv_1758.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 25

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still waiting for Kurtz to get demoted back to water boy duty lol. Chris walker and Jon Horford give us nothing. Not having a legitimate big man is killing us.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
t-gator;n140282 said:
I'm still waiting for Kurtz to get demoted back to water boy duty lol. Chris walker and Jon Horford give us nothing. Not having a legitimate big man is killing us.

We'll have to wait until next year.

Florida-Gators-Basketball-Media-Day-Portraits-October-15-2014-John-Egbunu-white-Th.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I will go on record to say that even though I've bagged on Kurtz, there's absolutely no question in my mind we would have lost in overtime anyway. This team has no idea how to win.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
oxrageous;n140309 said:
I will go on record to say that even though I've bagged on Kurtz, there's absolutely no question in my mind we would have lost in overtime anyway. This team has no idea how to win.

We would've lost on a last second shot regardless. We all knew FSU was going to nail that last shot, just not in the manner that they did..

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We lost this season when this guy Kurt even had to step foot off the bench.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Any news on Carter's injury? You gotta wonder how long mr glass is going to hold that scholarship hostage

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n140727 said:
Any news on Carter's injury? You gotta wonder how long mr glass is going to hold that scholarship hostage

You're really itching for someone to give up a scholarship aren't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.