Gator Recruiting Getting Called Out by ESPN and High School Coaches

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
It's pretty much spot on....

Why Fooley thought it was a good idea to hire a 21-17 coach from the mountain West is beyond me. Should have hired a bigger name and one who actually had contact with Florida players in the last year's rather than one who was mainly recruiting California

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My family really liked Florida,” Randy Wade said. “The only reason Florida missed out on Shaun is because they recruited him late. Trust me, my family would have loved for Shaun to go to Florida but Ohio State's Tim Hinton was on him in the 10th grade ...

Here is where we are failing....

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Here is where we are failing....

In fairness, I don't think Mac was the coach of UF at the time Wade was in 10th grade, but your point still stands. We're seeing our coaches late to every party trying to jump in on guys late rather than leading the way in players recruitments.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In fairness, I don't think Mac was the coach of UF at the time Wade was in 10th grade, but your point still stands. We're seeing our coaches late to every party trying to jump in on guys late rather than leading the way in players recruitments.
Oh, I do not disagree...on this example....the problem is goes structural...and previous head guy...that is why I have not been calling for his head, yet. The question is what has Mac implemented to start identifying, establishing relationships, communicating and tracking? Who has Mac either personally or via subs, 9th-10th graders?

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
I really enjoy college football and love the Gators, but articles like this (specifically the quotes from Mr. Wade) are a reminder of how troubling the Meat Market (to steal from Bruce Feldman) process is (and the truth is actually far worse).

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
_img

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's even more telling for me is that not only is recruiting suffering. Mac is getting his azz handed to him on hiring coaches.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow! Amateur Hour!

Gerard Ross, a former FSU and NFL defensive back, is now an assistant coach and oversees recruiting for Trinity Christian in Jacksonville, a team that has produced several ESPN 300 prospects and multiple five-star recruits including Kevin Toliver (LSU) and most recently Shaun Wade – who just enrolled at Ohio State.

With out-of-state schools like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson having so much success, Ross thinks Florida has to rethink its recruiting strategy.

“From what I can see, they have to do a better job of identifying the younger studs and kind of lovin’ on those guys really early the way the other big dogs do like Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State,” Ross said. “They identify those young kids pretty early on and do a good job making sure that ‘hey man, we love you, we want you to come here.’ From my experience and how [Florida has] been around us, they tend to wait until that kid has those big-time, Power 5 offers and then they try to sneak in.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that strategy may have worked in the the 90s... marginalizing us now.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard numerous times on radio shows here in Atlanta how bad our recruiting is. Trust me, the Dwags are loving it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's the way of recruiting, but it's pretty sad how much these kids want to be coddled, but won't look at how the School will treat them after signing day. God forbid you go to Bama and get injured. Start packing your bags. Same with Urbs

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It's pretty much spot on....

Why Fooley thought it was a good idea to hire a 21-17 coach from the mountain West is beyond me. Should have hired a bigger name and one who actually had contact with Florida players in the last year's rather than one who was mainly recruiting California

Cause Foley doesn't like spending , I really wish he wasn't so glorified by most of Gator nation. He single handily put this program in this position.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He was

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Mac, its time to start visiting sophomores and freshmen in HS.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Maybe we didn't have the details cited in the article, but I and many other members of Gatorchatter have been sounding the recruiting alarm for the past 15 months despite being poo-poohed by McElwain pumpers. And again, Foley hiring a 21-17 coach from a mid-major conference with no strong recruiting ties in Florida, still boggles my mind. And apparently McElwain is apparently unable to see the deficiencies or is unwilling to do what it takes to make it right. We will continue to sink unless major changes are made soon, but Scott Stricklin appears to be asleep at the switch. I hope the ESPN article wakes him up.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The one glaring thing missing from this article is the expletives I'm more comfortable with being used to describe our coaches, staff, administration, and athletes. It's terribly difficult to read these Pollyanna pumper type articles. They don't use the same language we're used to around here.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It would have been hard to recruit Wade to Florida while you're coaching at Colorado State.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.