Gator Recruiting Getting Called Out by ESPN and High School Coaches

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It would have been hard to recruit Wade to Florida while you're coaching at Colorado State.
Mac was the coach at UF when Wade was in 10th grade, he just wasn't familiar with all of the young players in the Sate of Florida since he was at CoSt the year before.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
right, Mac should have been recruiting these kids for florida before he got here. Yes, lets get a quote from an FSU homer on UF recruiting...

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Mac, its time to start visiting sophomores and freshmen in HS.
Mac's reportedly been checking in on 2018, 2019 and 2020 kids during the recent trips, and he's been getting blasted on here by a couple of posters (one in particular, and it's not TRex) for doing so.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
right, Mac should have been recruiting these kids for florida before he got here. Yes, lets get a quote from an FSU homer on UF recruiting...
Wade was in his second semester of 10th grade when Mac took the job at UF.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
this is funny, since just yesterday the box was blowing up about Mac visiting '19 & '20 recruiting cycle kids

you can't have it, and argue against, both ways

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
We're taking some body blows in the press during this run-up to NSD. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the timing is bad.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's reportedly been checking in on 2018, 2019 and 2020 kids during the recent trips, and he's been getting blasted on here by a couple of posters (one in particular, and it's not TRex) for doing so.
Yep, he needs to be in there getting in the mix, no doubt.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
this is funny, since just yesterday the box was blowing up about Mac visiting '19 & '20 recruiting cycle kids

To be fair, it was really just one poster blasting Mac for taking the time to see the younger guys (Ferg).

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Yes, he was here the kid in question sophomore year, but he was supposed to instantaneously evaluated him as far as potential and get on him? PART of the reason why it is somewhat self defeating to want to flip coaches in two years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Majority of this class should be locked up. Which would give them the freedom to work on the younger kids. But it's not. Typical over the last couple years.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy that quote, if 2 years is not enough time for you to get to know the coach then there is a problem. I think we missed out because this staff can't recruit.
The problem is the players make a preliminary decision and you are playing catch-up. Not every Tom Dick or Harry can flip kids. Also generally costs more and riskier

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our recruiting blows bad, clearly, but this was in the next paragraph:
What is in that same sentence?

The sentence supports a school needing to reach out to younger players. It costs little and can pay big.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's pretty much spot on....

Why Fooley thought it was a good idea to hire a 21-17 coach from the mountain West is beyond me. Should have hired a bigger name and one who actually had contact with Florida players in the last year's rather than one who was mainly recruiting California

The hire wasn't nearly as bad as the timing. We had no business being in a coaching search in 2014, as it should've been handled the moment VU smoked us at homecoming in 2013. Of the names that were realistic that year, he was probably as good as any other. Just look at Michigan's plan B's had Harbaugh not said yes.

But yeah, I'll agree that between his "aww shucks" laid back approach, lack of recognition here in the SE and State, and the condition our brand was in, it's been a terrible fit as far as recruiting goes. Just shouldn't have been allowed to reach that point.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
The problem is the players make a preliminary decision and you are playing catch-up. Not every Tom Dick or Harry can flip kids. Also generally costs more and riskier
What about the kids who were uncommitted he didnt pull them either. I don't believe in the word of mouth commitment, half of the time when a kid commits that early it changes. Meyer came in from Utah and in his 2nd cycle was pulling in top 3 classes full of 4-5* players. You either have it or you don't and Mac don't have it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The hire wasn't nearly as bad as the timing. We had no business being in a coaching search in 2014, as it should've been handled the moment VU smoked us at homecoming in 2013.
I agree re 2013 of course, but the hire was terrible, for us. He just wasnt the right guy for a team that needed a drastic and immediate rebuild. He had the reputation, to the extent that he had a reputation at all, of being a mehhhh recruiter and he had been far enough west that no kids here knew him. To this day, the few contacts he has are with Alabama hs coaches. He also was not clearly not the right guy for a fanbase that wants to see an aggressive and potent offense. The truth is we have seen regression not improvement on offense and I didnt believe that was even possible.

As a side (lol) have any of you noticed that after you eat a big ole PB&J, that you really need a nap?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PART of the reason why it is somewhat self defeating to want to flip coaches in two years.
It is self defeating to hire terrible coaches.

These guys dont get better just bc they stay longer.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait... Our recruiting sucks! I'm so glad they wrote this article to tell me that!!!

How come nobody on Gatorchatter has been talking about this?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Getting laughed by our rivals and mocked on espn, good times.

Dont they know we have the three star whisperer?

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wait... Our recruiting sucks! I'm so glad they wrote this article to tell me that!!!

How come nobody on Gatorchatter has been talking about this?

It's one thing when the fans notice it and start questioning it on a message board, it's another entirely different thing when the national sports media starts writing articles with quotes from local high school coaches.

The fans in tune with the program understand things are bad, but now the whole nation knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb