Gator Rewind: Charleston Southern

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you misunderstood. It's not their system, it's how they scheme their offense and/or defense. Look at how Muschamp used Fowler for example. Not that Muschamp is the best defensive coordinator, but he did seem to scheme based on what the other team did.

Look at SOS. He took a 5th string QB who knew what coach wanted and used that to pick apart teams. Sure we had a ton of talent, and that's why SOS revolutionized the SEC. But he could scheme, and won big because of it.

Chip Kelley is really a system, and so is Frost. But if done right it's hard to beat, but what happened when Auburn decided to collapse their line? But I'm talking about a coach who can take less talent and beat you because he runs what his guys are good at while also attacking his opponents weaknesses.

Another example, our first game against TA&M. Manziel is torching us with his legs, because we over pursue. Muschamp and Quinn adjust and tell our guys to quit rushing up field and hold their assignments. At the end of the day, we took away Manziel's legs.

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think Mullen can make some adjustments here or there. He's just proven that he can out scheme a Bama or most anyone else who he shouldn't beat. Look at what Clemson did. They ran a stupid amount of plays while doing a lot of east/west movement. They tired out Bama's big boys.

If you're going to go toe to toe, you better be the bigger badder guy, otherwise you need to scheme.
We can only hope that Mullen is eventually able to recruit badder athletes and field a team as consistently disciplined as the one you saw Saturday. If he does, this experiment could amount to something.

As a tactician he's never going to be seen among the great sideline thinkers, which creates various risks. Lest we forget, Spurrier was far better at building a lead than coming from behind. That's not Mullen's schtick. His is being better at getting his team ready than the other guy.

I think we can agree that the delta between past results and current expectations for Mullen can only be bridged by one thing. Recruit the state of Florida.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We can only hope that Mullen is eventually able to recruit badder athletes and field a team as consistently disciplined as the one you saw Saturday. If he does, this experiment could amount to something.

As a tactician he's never going to be seen among the great sideline thinkers, which creates various risks. Lest we forget, Spurrier was far better at building a lead than coming from behind. That's not Mullen's schtick. His is being better at getting his team ready than the other guy.

I think we can agree that the delta between past results and current expectations for Mullen can only be bridged by one thing. Recruit the state of Florida.
And don't get any of us wrong, we all want Mullen to succeed. Nothing would make us happier than seeing him bring in top 5 classes and having 11+ win seasons every year. We just don't think he will, at least not consistently.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And don't get any of us wrong, we all want Mullen to succeed. Nothing would make us happier than seeing him bring in top 5 classes and having 11+ win seasons every year. We just don't think he will, at least not consistently.
There's no reason to think he's going to change stripes. He is what he is, and what we think that is, is a 10-win ceiling.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is my take on the whole Mullen gripe. Most people like him just fine, but they realize he is just an above average coach. He is going to get the most out of his guys as individuals, but he’s not going to schematically take his talent beyond what it is on paper. Knowing that, you need a lot of talent. He is not known as a recruiter and neither is his staff as a whole. No one is saying that he is Willie.
This has been my position, but man does it act like he loves it here? If he can make the offense fun to watch and not embarrass us (I have no doubts on the embarrassment), I'll be happy.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This has been my position, but man does it act like he loves it here? If he can make the offense fun to watch and not embarrass us (I have no doubts on the embarrassment), I'll be happy.
He was the safe option. I think he loves it here too. If he can recruit, I think he'll be here a while, maybe even win something someday. Can you imagine what we would talking about if we didn't waste all that time in Cali? I think he'll have a hard time cracking the top 5, because he's going to have to look for the right fit, and I don't think he'll be able to give up on trying to find the diamonds in the rough. If we can stay in the top 10 and he keeps recruiting QB's well, then we'll have some success.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At this time 3 years ago most everyone was very pleased with the results of our new coach. Obviously Mullen is an improvement over the last buffoon, but I want to see how this season and recruiting class shakes out before I declare him the savior of Florida football.

In Nov I was hoping UT would hire him. It's going to take a lot more than one good game before I'm completely on board.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Who the Hell is this "We" you talk about?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CDM's info-flow to his players isn't fakery. He's no zencompoop. Mullen seems a clear communicator.
Our player/positions will learn to out-execute their face-to-face opponents.
Busy absorbing new stuff, soon players will start self-coaching, as well as coaching up each other.
CDM has raised Franks' confidence by uplifting his on-field competence, when our QB was a bust.
A somewhat flop recruiter? I think Mullen's play-script will automatically nab top WR & QB recruits.
Franks' passes, fast & on a rope. Won't matter who the opponent = he beat tight coverage as needed.
So, Franks continues to develop. Next, CDM, now using film, improves the OL, advances our RBs.
Each take-charge win will cause self-improvement at all positions or a better replacement taking over.
These Gators have room to grow. Now, they have a coach-staff that teaches with clear CFB goals.
So next, let's see if Mullen's Gators can stress Kentucky to their breaking point. "Keep the streak."

We got lots of betterment to look forward to. How different is that.
Another plus : the better CDM makes us, the more solid he makes our judgement that Mac sucked.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

BIG 10 type of coach, I don't think he would be successful in the SEC.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
8. Petrino?*

* Edit: Not suggesting I wanted him, too much baggage, but he’s had great offenses. (Man, I write that knowing it works pronouncing “offenses” both ways.)

8. Petrino

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.