Gator you thought would excel in the NFL but didn't (and the other side of the coin)

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
With the NFL draft fast approaching, tell us which Gator were you absolutely positive was going to excel in the NFL but it didn't work out that way.

While we're at it, how about the other side of the coin? Name the Gator you didn't think would work out and surprisingly turned out to be a pretty good NFL player.

I'll throw out Ben Troupe--Athletic TE with great hands who could actually make the over-the-shoulder catch. He was money on 3rd down and was great running after the catch. I still remember him vaulting defenders. First team All-American in 2003 (I thought he was better than Kellen Winslow Jr.). Troupe was a second round pick. I thought he was perfect for a West Coast Offense in the NFL but it never panned out for him. He actually spent a bunch of his career backing up another Gator TE, Erron Kinney, with the Tennessee Titans.

For the other, Bobby McCray surprised me. He was good as a Gator, certainly not great. Second team All-SEC kind of guy. Taken in the 7th round of the draft by the hapless Jags. Turned out to be a solid pass rusher and had a very nice 7 year NFL career.

Alex.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow has to be at the top of the list as far as not panning out. Currently, I would say Deonte Thompson is the biggest surprise for still being in the NFL.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I really thought C4 was going to be a producer in the NFL, the kid was a beast in college. Agree on McCray, never expected that.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n175669 said:
Tebow has to be at the top of the list as far as not panning out.

Tebow was my first thought, but it ain't over yet. He actually has a winning record as a starter, so it's hard to call him a bust when nobody will give him a chance.
I guess I expected more out of C4 as well.

I was thinking Marcus Gilbert starting on the OL for the Steelers as someone who I didn't think was going to make it in the league. Wasn't he hurt half the time he was here?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n175674 said:
Tebow was my first thought, but it ain't over yet. He actually has a winning record as a starter, so it's hard to call him a bust when nobody will give him a chance.

I was thinking Marcus Gilbert starting on the OL for the Steelers as someone who I didn't think was going to make it in the league. Wasn't he hurt half the time he was here?

I thought about Gilbert, as well. Tebow's done in the NFL unless it's in the booth.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n175674 said:

Yea, and was pretty unremarkable when he was healthy. We have had a handful of O-lineman come through who never seemed to amount to squat, then immediately be a starter or impact player in the league. Makes me think that lineman coaching and development is just one more item on the list of failures the last few years. I was surprised about deonte as well... figured the only way he'd get inside an nfl stadium is with a ticket stamped general admission.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely Chad Jackson. I believe he set the single season record for receptions. Wish he would've stayed his senior year and helped Leak and CO win it all.
I'm pretty sure he was a first round pick of the pats and just never worked out. Also thought Siler would've been a stud MLB for many years. Last I heard he was on the chiefs,
but not sure if he's in the league anymore.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n175689 said:
Definitely Chad Jackson. I believe he set the single season record for receptions. Wish he would've stayed his senior year and helped Leak and CO win it all.
I'm pretty sure he was a first round pick of the pats and just never worked out. Also thought Siler would've been a stud MLB for many years. Last I heard he was on the chiefs,

I thought Jackson suffered a pretty serious injury.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n175674 said:

Max Starks too.

Alex.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was surprised Frankie Hammond was on a roster last year. He's made the final 53 2 seasons in a row now. Earnest Graham was able to scratch out a pretty decent career as well. I would think Reidel and Jacquez would be on a lot of people's disappointing list. I thought Reggie McGrew and Gerard Warren would be better, too

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pro: Shane Matthews. Undrafted, ended up having a 13 year career.

Con: Reggie McGrew. First round pick, complete bust.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n175689 said:

Good examples for the bust side of things.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How about Jimmy Spencer as the ultimate dark horse NFL success story?

He was blazing fast but overshadowed by the corner playing opposite him, Richard Fain.

He was unpolished and accomplished very little in his college career. He was a nobody. A very fast nobody, but a nobody.

Spencer shocked everybody by leaving early for the NFL draft. Maybe he figured he might go pro at track? Maybe it was a grades thing?

Anyway, the little fella was an 8th round pick by the Washington Redskins (Fain went in the 6th). Spencer spent his first year on the practice squad then moved over to the Saints where he figured out how to play the position and put those jets to good use.

Dude ended up playing a DOZEN seasons in the NFL (really rare for a corner, they usually lose a step and that's it for their career).

I don't think he was ever an All-Pro kind of guy, but he was solid for over a decade. Pretty impressive!

Alex.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n175701 said:
Pro: Shane Matthews. Undrafted, ended up having a 13 year career.

Con: Reggie McGrew. First round pick, complete bust.

Both are great examples!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I also thought Reidel would be a better NFL receiver--Doering too. Doering had great hands, big frame, could get open in a phone booth; I figured he'd be a great possession receiver and red zone threat. Both became busts.

But that reminds me of a receiver who did better than expected--

Ernie Mills.

He was All-SEC his senior year and a third round pick by the Steelers so it's not like he was a total dark horse but he put together a very nice 9 year NFL career. Given how many of Spurrier's WRs were NFL busts, Mills' career stands out.

And of course, Mills Play (which Spurrier still runs).

Alex.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Two players I thought would do well but didn't:

Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey

Someone who is doing better than I ever thought he would:

Jeremy Mincey is still in the league. Big surprise.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n175669 said:
Currently, I would say Deonte Thompson is the biggest surprise for still being in the NFL.
He has 15 receptions in his career. That's more than I expected, but it's far from good.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175718 said:
Yes, dude. It's over.

Buzz kill.......................

Attachments

• conv_2403.gif
    conv_2403.gif