Gatorade

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
On HIstory Channel there is a series, Foods That Built America. Ive watched a few episodes. I guess I accidently recorded one about soft drinks but ones like Koolaid, HighC and Gatorade. So I just watched them talk about Gainesville and Ray Graves, Dr Cade and even mention SOS and Harmon Wages. That had a young actor play Graves. And a guy in the jersey #11. Cade's wife suggested lemon flavor because it was so nasty early on. And they made a big deal out of using it the first time with the Varsity (they practiced on the freshman that were not allowed to play on varsity) against a highly rated LSU team and UF beat them 14-7. Cade later on offered to sell it to UF for 10K.. Turned down they sold it to Stokley Van Camp. When it started to make big $$$ UF sued Cade and got 20% of the profits. It was cool hearing things about Graves I didnt know. IF this helps it was season 4 episode 12.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Ironically the Stokely family of Stokely Van Camp, the company Cade sold Gatorade to were big Tennessee donors.

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Gatorade lawsuit between Cade and UF is still taught in college today as a classic case of Shopkeeper’s Rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator