Gatorchatter.com Interviews Matt Hayes of The Sporting News

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;n19750 said:
MH: Please see previous answers on Driskel. I can tell you this: Muschamp relayed a story to me at SEC Media Days, when he said he had Mike Mularkey, a former NFL head coach (and Gator) visit one of his practices last fall camp. First thing Mularkey told Muschamp was, “You have a first round talent at QB.” Again, if Driskel plays as well as the staff thinks he can, Florida can beat anyone on the schedule.

Mularkey must have been watching another Driskel that the "brain numb" one that I've watched. The one with no instinct for the rush. The one that never could figure out the need to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid the sack. The one whose general decision making under pressure has been horrendous. I hope that the Mularkey Driskel shows up.

I agree only Driskel's physical traits say draft him so far. If the mental part doesn't get to where it needs to be he could possibly be drafted like in the 4th round where the VT QB was drafted with a TE back up plan for the NFL if he shows nothing in camp.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxking said:
MH: Please see previous answers on Driskel. I can tell you this: Muschamp relayed a story to me at SEC Media Days, when he said he had Mike Mularkey, a former NFL head coach (and Gator) visit one of his practices last fall camp. First thing Mularkey told Muschamp was, “You have a first round talent at QB.” Again, if Driskel plays as well as the staff thinks he can, Florida can beat anyone on the schedule.

Mularkey must have been watching another Driskel that the "brain numb" one that I've watched. The one with no instinct for the rush. The one that never could figure out the need to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid the sack. The one whose general decision making under pressure has been horrendous. I hope that the Mularkey Driskel shows up.
If you are just looking at physical talent Jeff has a lot of potential. That is only a small part of the NFL game. You must be able to read defenses in real time very quickly. You must be able to accurately throw the ball at least through medium routes. You must have instinct to avoid mistakes especially when blitzes are being used. Most of this is coaching and we know the caliper of coaches he has had.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
oxking;n19750 said:

I agree only Driskel's physical traits say draft him so far. If the mental part doesn't get to where it needs to be he could possibly be drafted like in the 4th round where the VT QB was drafted with a TE back up plan for the NFL if he shows nothing in camp.
I agree 100%

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n19875 said:
Not imo. Look at what Spurrier has done at SC in a tougher conference. No way should Florida go after Fedora.

Fedora is on probation. That's a pretty big deal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
Gator Fever;n19875 said:
Not imo. Look at what Spurrier has done at SC in a tougher conference. No way should Florida go after Fedora.

Fedora is on probation. That's a pretty big deal.
I bet unc is pretty good this year too. They're gonna surprise some people.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n19875 said:
SOS is a HOFer. Other than Saban and possibly Meyer, what other active coach could you say that about with certainty?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n20236 said:
SOS is a HOFer. Other than Saban and possibly Meyer, what other active coach could you say that about with certainty?

True but I think we could definitely do better than Fedora.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
Driskel a first round talent? What a bunch of malarkey.
He has always looked like a superstar in PRACTICE!!!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n19875 said:

Moot point, we're winning the East

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.