Gatorchatter monetization discussion thread

Would you consider paying a small amount for an ad-free experience and extra features?

• Yes

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They're making an issue of content because it's the most convenient parallel argument.
If you’re point that thing at me, I got to disagree. I said content because wth the amount of linked articles here, it’s a one stop shop. I don’t have to peruse 4 or 5 different Gator websites that provide the articles with ads.

But like you, I’d probably pay just as I was one of the first Lifetime Members.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
It sounds like you know what you want to do Ox, the opinions being expressed here are being met with sour responses. So just do whatever you want to do, its your site.

I will say that having paid for a lifetime membership means that the meat of your user base won't be subject to any paywall I would imagine as that just wouldn't be right. Therefore, how beneficial would this move be? I also think if you kept the main sports forum free, the other forums and chatbox aren't enough for most people to want to pay for. I could go argue politics on reddit for free. What other content would draw people in to a pay site?

And being even more brutally honest, the one content you provided after financial backing from your users, the podcast, you quit doing.

First it was a free site. Then it was a free site, but contributions welcome. Then it was a free site, but could get some cool swag with a donation. Then it was selling memberships and lifetime memberships. Somewhere along the way you asked for donations for the podcast, which netted you enough for some audio/visual gear, yet you quit after a brief period. Now you're talking about closing off a good portion of the board to a subscription. Just not sure where you're going with this and why the goal posts keep getting moved.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think cross pollinating the website with another pay platform would be ideal if it makes sense from a control and fiscal arena.

Another option is that we have a ton of professionals on this board. And we don’t ever let them hoc their services/products. Maybe we can set up like in “Angie’s List” side of the board. And the board can get a commission out of whatever that service or product makes.

Maybe you could also do something with an apparel outfit. Maybe they can get a permanent link at the top where when a member goes through that link they automatically get a 15% discount +5% goes to the website.

I think the ads that people don’t like are random ads. But there’s an old adage in sales that people like to buy from people they like. Why not from each other? And why not from a trusted company that supports the website?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
You should ask for donations such as Wikipedia does. Run donation campaigns. Turn the business into a non-profit and pay yourself a small salary. I would rather make periodic donations based on my perceived value. $50-$100 at a time maybe twice a year. Just a thought.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, here is what I was getting at.
I don't know how many would pay $60 (specifically) a year, for what this site is right now.
That is why I said what I said about exclusive content and connections to UF programs. That is when there is added value for the dollar spent.

That said, no doubt in my mind that most here would pay a smaller portion of that every year, because they will view it as helping you keep this place alive and as is.

Honestly, if you don't want to go the content route, then it seems to me that by what others are saying here, you might be better off going back to selling lifetime memberships, perhaps even at a larger number, say one time $100, and throw in a t shirt or koozie or something.

I think the bulk of the posters here like what we have as is now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You should ask for donations such as Wikipedia does. Run donation campaigns. Turn the business into a non-profit and pay yourself a small salary. I would rather make periodic donations based on my perceived value. $50-$100 at a time maybe twice a year. Just a thought.

That’s actually a really good idea.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.gatorchatter.com/donate/

You already can. Though perhaps it can be more prominently displayed.

To Pablo’s point – we can actually run a campaign. When Wikipedia runs a donation - For a day or two that donation piece pops up asking you to please donate. Before you can even access the website. Even if it’s a small donation of five dollars. Then it talks about what it goes to support. If that popped up twice a year for me to pay 15 to 20 bucks, I would do it no problem.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To Pablo’s point – we can actually run a campaign. When Wikipedia runs a donation - For a day or two that donation piece pops up asking you to please donate. Before you can even access the website. Even if it’s a small donation of five dollars. Then it talks about what it goes to support. If that popped up twice a year for me to pay 15 to 20 bucks, I would do it no problem.

I like this much better. On those rare occasions when I go to another site and I see "premium" content, I am immediately P.O.D. I ain't paying. Ask me for a contribution to keep a good board running, you'll get a contribution. I don't care if I am rewarded or acknowledged...OK give me 10 extra likes for my trouble. :)

The whole pay to play thing changes the character of this board.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
think we could get celebrities to help out? :grin:

Celebrities-including-George-Clooney-Julia-Roberts-Leonardo-DiCaprio-and-Beyonce-unite-for-hurricane-relief-telethon-1024x507.jpg

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
think we could get celebrities to help out? :grin:

Celebrities-including-George-Clooney-Julia-Roberts-Leonardo-DiCaprio-and-Beyonce-unite-for-hurricane-relief-telethon-1024x507.jpg

See you’re joking – but could you imagine if Ox did a telethon webcast? With callins from members? Theatrical readings of Pasty postings? Replays of old gator championship moments?

It would be beast.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
See you’re joking – but could you imagine if Ox did a telethon webcast? With callins from members? Theatrical readings of Pasty postings? Replays of old gator championship moments?

It would be beast.
actually, that does sound pretty damn amusing :lol:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I love the chat box. It is totally unique to the site and would hate to see it a pay feature.

I got some Ox bucks I can contribute :grin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It would be beast.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's about all the unique personalities and banter on here that provides the value, not insider content. We have the smartest, funniest Gator fans anywhere, and it isn't close. There's a reason why we hundreds, often thousands, of lurkers a day on here - they don't want to get directly involved, but they enjoy the hell out of the discussions.
This is true and especially so during the season.

During the offseason it is dominated by some morons.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
are lifetime members going to be grandfathered in to not having to pay? And if not, can we all get our 75 bucks back?

Interested in this answer as well, we all paid for full lifetime access. Now granted, I hardly every wonder in the other forums, but still, it was supposed to all be free for a LIFETIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb