Gators at the combine

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Along those lines, I'm wondering how many WM players are left at this point. I'd call this year's rookie's a mix of half WM (recruited and signed them) and half sidehat ('developed' them). After this year are we running on just sidehat's recruits?

On the team? Probably two more years of his recruits on the team.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Look, I get that a lot of people dislike him on here because of his idiotic comments he's made (I don't like them either), but to downplay how good he was here is dishonest. He was a fabulous corner for us and I think he will have a solid career in the NFL.

That said, Wilson >>

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look, I get that a lot of people dislike him on here because of his idiotic comments he's made (I don't like them either), but to downplay how good he was here is dishonest. He was a fabulous corner for us and I think he will have a solid career in the NFL.

That said, Wilson >>

His whole game is based on gambling the route.....won't work in bigs....they will bait him to death

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
His whole game is based on gambling the route.....won't work in bigs....they will bait him to death

Meh while he gambled a good bit, he was usually in great position whenever the ball was thrown his way (minus the UT game).

My point is if he were a super humble, quiet player y'all wouldn't be raking him over the coals like this. That's just factual.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member

That said, Wilson >>
4.63 and 9 reps just won't cut it in the NFL... how do these idiots not come more prepared for their biggest job interview of their life? Overhyped, over ego, and flat out laziness is a sure sign of a bust.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Funny, remember how so many of you were on Teez's nuts when he wrote his farewell letter? Good times.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
4.63 and 9 reps just won't cut it in the NFL... how do these idiots not come more prepared for their biggest job interview of their life? Overhyped, over ego, and flat out laziness is a sure sign of a bust.

I think it's an assumption that he didn't work hard, he may just be physically limited. Measurables don't tell the whole story nor determine how good of a player somebody is/will be. We've seen plenty of guys put up poor measurables and end up being great, and vice versa.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's an assumption that he didn't work hard, he may just be physically limited. Measurables don't tell the whole story nor determine how good of a player somebody is/will be. We've seen plenty of guys put up poor measurables and end up being great, and vice versa.
Can you name 5 who have put up awful measurables and succeeded?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Meh while he gambled a good bit, he was usually in great position whenever the ball was thrown his way (minus the UT game).

My point is if he were a super humble, quiet player y'all wouldn't be raking him over the coals like this. That's just factual.
If he were humble and quiet you wouldn't even know who he was. Ryan Smith had similar stats in 1 year that took Tabor 3. He has to run his mouth to get noticed because his play was mediocre at best.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can you name 5 who have put up awful measurables and succeeded?

Few guys that come to mind who didn't have great measurables: Jerry rice, Emmitt Smith, Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Joe Haden and Tyrone Matthieu (4 bench reps lol). That's just top of my head and although they may not be quite as bad of measurables, they are comparable.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If he were humble and quiet you wouldn't even know who he was. Ryan Smith had similar stats in 1 year that took Tabor 3. He has to run his mouth to get noticed because his play was mediocre at best.

I don't think you really believe that. Be objective rather than letting your dislike of his character cloud your judgement. I'm not even a Tabor fan per se, he ticked me off too, but let's be honest here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Better question is why were all of our guys so poor physically? Bad work ethic? Bad coaching? Bad S&C?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I don't think you really believe that. Be objective rather than letting your dislike of his character cloud your judgement. I'm not even a Tabor fan per se, he ticked me off too, but let's be honest here.
I've been pretty consistent with this for 2 years. It has nothing to do with his propensity to run his mouth and everything to do with him being over-rated. Never saw what you see in Tabor. When he's not getting beat long it's usual because he held and got a flag. He's slow, weak, and will be a bust. Been saying it for years.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I've been pretty consistent with this for 2 years. It has nothing to do with his propensity to run his mouth and everything to do with him being over-rated. Never saw what you see in Tabor. When he's not getting beat long it's usual because he held and got a flag. He's slow, weak, and will be a bust. Been saying it for years.

That's fair and I'll take your word for it that you've always had this stance. I don't think he will be a bust, but time will tell.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
On the team? Probably two more years of his recruits on the team.

Yeah, that's what I was going for...how much will people say Mac's Defense is built on WM's players as opposed to his own.

Doing my own homework, I see the following:

SR:
Powell
Dawson
Washington
Massey (or did he get a redshirt year?)
Sherit
Townsend
Walters (who?)
Harris
Goolsby
Stephens (Who?)
Gilga (Who?)
Putu
Riles
Stipe (Who?)
Dillard
Garcia

JR:
del Rio
Scarlett (Mac or WM?)
Ivey (Mac or WM?)
Jefferson (Mac or WM?)

Defense has very few WM players left. Future NFL drafts will be getting Mac recruited AND (non?)developed players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All the juniors are belong to Butters.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Few guys that come to mind who didn't have great measurables: Jerry rice, Emmitt Smith, Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Joe Haden and Tyrone Matthieu (4 bench reps lol). That's just top of my head and although they may not be quite as bad of measurables, they are comparable.
These guys had a bad time on the 40 OR a bad bench.... show successful players who did both

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The 40 is over-rated. Film is a much bigger tell on if somebody is going to be a good player. I'd take Tabor in the second round in an instant. The kid can play and he showed that over and over again.

I think Wilson is a better CB, but Tabor will be a solid NFL CB for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator