Gators finish 14th in AP

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Not bad eh Gators?

We blast this staff. Hell we've blasted every staff since Spurrier (Meyer got an earful until halfway through the game in Glendale. Don't act like you don't remember). And rightfully so. Nord shouldn't have a position on any staff in the power 5. Nuss is a dud. Summers is a good coach with no recruiting chops. Recruiting is lack luster. Offense is an entire trailer park on cinder blocks with a population of zero.

At the end of the day, I still believe we are a qb away from turning perception around. IF these rumors of bringing on a few recruiting aces is true, I will give this next season a clean slate. We will be breaking in a young qb with young talent surrounding him with a young defense. Unfortunately for the impatient 2018 (unless we completely fall on our faces in 17) will be the year to really judge the work at hand.

Question is, how will this next month leading up to signing day hold you over? Are you still over the cliff? If we get a big name recruiter or two and end up in the 10-12 range class wise, will you be happy and positive about the outlook? Or is it still as dim as ever for you.

As always, in the words of our dark lord, discuss

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can't disagree with anything here. And I hope you're right, especially about Nord and Nuss.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well said, Slevin.

As far as recruiting, as long as we fill our needs at DT, LB and OL, and finish top 12 I will be okay. It's not where we want to be yet, but also not apocalyptic like some act.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know that when it comes down to it it's all about results. I didn't have an issue with results last year. Or this year. However he was paid to come in and fix the offense. And he hasn't done it. I do agree with you in that a QB would fix a lot of our offensive woes. He's missed on a couple. I hope Franks is really it.

He forced Foley's hand at upgrading our facilities and I think this will pay great dividends in the future.

Now to his biggest deficiency. Coaching staff. This is the same issue that chump had. Chump had too much turnover and a lot of inter-staff bickering and turmoil. Mac has not had the turmoil but he really needs a little bit more turnover. Particularly with Nordwho has done nothing with tight ends and special teams.

If he got rid of him and brought in a couple ace recruiters I think everything will be good.

Because again I don't think the issue is with the results. The issue is with the uncertainty of the future (recruiting) and the way our offense looks.

By the way, for what it's worth, I don't think he would be having such a hard time on the trail or with the Fanbase if he won his rivalry games. You can't get whipped by FSU two years in a row.

That's something that Meyer understood.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I I do agree with you in that a QB would fix a lot of our offensive woes.
You watch Nusschamp's offense that last 5 years at three schools and thought he just had bad luck each time and he just needed a qb?

:rolleyes4:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You watch Nusschamp's offense that last 5 years at three schools and thought he just had bad luck each time and he just needed a qb?

:rolleyes4:

I didn't say it would fix everything. I just said It would fix a lot of the issues. For instance, it won't fix the red zone playcalling.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For example, that Clemson play that won the game last night. You think Nussy would have ever called that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its a pretty basic play probably in every teams' playbook. Have they ever called it? m sure they have.

I think Mac and Nuss would have run it up the middle and hoped for a FG. And if they did try to play it, the receivers run the wrong routes or dont execute.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Law, no. But denard Robinson is 5 times worse than Treon on his worst day and then well he had treon. Nuss still sucks though.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't say it would fix everything. I just said It would fix a lot of the issues. For instance, it won't fix the red zone playcalling.

Yep. This is where I am on Nuss. He usually isn't terrible in between the 20's, but once in the red zone, and more importantly a goal to go distance the play calling is simply baffling. The fake dive, pitch to Perine is a good example from the LSU 1. Then we get the ball after the fumbled kickoff, and don't every try to score. Just play for the FG with a 3 pt lead. Then there was the opening drive to FSU that had a few head scratchers inside the 10. I won't even get into the Bama game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know that when it comes down to it it's all about results. I didn't have an issue with results last year. Or this year. However he was paid to come in and fix the offense. And he hasn't done it. I do agree with you in that a QB would fix a lot of our offensive woes. He's missed on a couple. I hope Franks is really it.

He forced Foley's hand at upgrading our facilities and I think this will pay great dividends in the future.

Now to his biggest deficiency. Coaching staff. This is the same issue that chump had. Chump had too much turnover and a lot of inter-staff bickering and turmoil. Mac has not had the turmoil but he really needs a little bit more turnover. Particularly with Nordwho has done nothing with tight ends and special teams.

If he got rid of him and brought in a couple ace recruiters I think everything will be good.

Because again I don't think the issue is with the results. The issue is with the uncertainty of the future (recruiting) and the way our offense looks.

By the way, for what it's worth, I don't think he would be having such a hard time on the trail or with the Fanbase if he won his rivalry games. You can't get whipped by FSU two years in a row.

That's something that Meyer understood.

All of this would go a long way in to fixing things. Pretty good assessment. We need all of these pieces and yes a QB dang sure would help the situation.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@ZachAbolverdi: #Gators ranked No. 14 in final AP poll. LSU finishes one spot ahead of them despite one less win and a loss to UF.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If Nuss or if the lack of a good QB is the issue, matters not. If McElwain fails to deal with it, he will eventually be sent packing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll take it, better than last year. It's about right in line w/ our recruiting rankings.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously a good QB would go a long way in helping fix our offensive offense. But it's more than that. You don't rank in the hundreds offensively multiple years solely due to mediocre to bad QB play. We lack consistency in all phases of the game sans kicking.

It's the way we lost and the way we played in many of the games the past couple years that continues to keep me from getting too excited for the future. This is a relatively new outlook for me. In the past I was usually pretty optimistic looking forward even during the Chump years. But it's the consistently poor offensive play coupled with our rivals eating our lunch on the recruiting trail that has beaten me down and tempers my enthusiasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator