Gators finish 14th in AP

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Obviously a good QB would go a long way in helping fix our offensive offense. But it's more than that. You don't rank in the hundreds offensively multiple years solely due to mediocre to bad QB play. We lack consistency in all phases of the game sans kicking.

It's the way we lost and the way we played in many of the games the past couple years that continues to keep me from getting too excited for the future. This is a relatively new outlook for me. In the past I was usually pretty optimistic looking forward even during the Chump years. But it's the consistently poor offensive play coupled with our rivals eating our lunch on the recruiting trail that has beaten me down and tempers my enthusiasm.

That's a great assessment....but don't tell the pumpers (we're just a player or two away from being right up there w/ FSU, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc!!!!).

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I mean it doesn't matter but WTF is that ****?

We should not be behind LSU, we should be viewed as a 10 win team because of the lost Presbyterian game. See they managed to keep a 5 loss Auburn team ranked as well. Whatever

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Grew up a SC fan so follow them and hate Clemson. Four years ago, Spurrier just kicked Dabos ass for a 3rd time. (Fifth straight i think.)SC was on the rise and Dabo was a joke to Spurrier. Clemson fans clamored for his firing. He never would have made it at Florida. Sometime the system works and stability is needed. Coach cant learn from mistakes if he cant make them. Im still iffy on Mac but got to give him 4 years.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Not bad eh Gators?

We blast this staff. Hell we've blasted every staff since Spurrier (Meyer got an earful until halfway through the game in Glendale. Don't act like you don't remember). And rightfully so. Nord shouldn't have a position on any staff in the power 5. Nuss is a dud. Summers is a good coach with no recruiting chops. Recruiting is lack luster. Offense is an entire trailer park on cinder blocks with a population of zero.

At the end of the day, I still believe we are a qb away from turning perception around. IF these rumors of bringing on a few recruiting aces is true, I will give this next season a clean slate. We will be breaking in a young qb with young talent surrounding him with a young defense. Unfortunately for the impatient 2018 (unless we completely fall on our faces in 17) will be the year to really judge the work at hand.

Question is, how will this next month leading up to signing day hold you over? Are you still over the cliff? If we get a big name recruiter or two and end up in the 10-12 range class wise, will you be happy and positive about the outlook? Or is it still as dim as ever for you.

As always, in the words of our dark lord, discuss

1. I agree with much of what you say here.

2. Meyer got an earful while he was at UF, but my view is he got it deservedly while running UF's program into the ground and bailing.

3. Muschamp was fired and McElwain was hired TO FIX THE OFFENSE. So far McElwain has NOT done what he was hired to do. I could understand if UF had gotten better on offense but had not gotten back to a good offense, but in fact he has not improved the offense a bit. So I am still pretty negative on him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Grew up a SC fan so follow them and hate Clemson. Four years ago, Spurrier just kicked Dabos ass for a 3rd time. (Fifth straight i think.)SC was on the rise and Dabo was a joke to Spurrier. Clemson fans clamored for his firing. He never would have made it at Florida. Sometime the system works and stability is needed. Coach cant learn from mistakes if he cant make them. Im still iffy on Mac but got to give him 4 years.

And maybe Clemson got a once in a lifetime QB and will revert to form after this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, no. But denard Robinson is 5 times worse than Treon on his worst day and then well he had treon. Nuss still sucks though.
Denard was playing WR by then.

He had 5 stars stacked three deep at Bammer, finished 40th and got sent packing.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bringing in Brett Venables was the difference.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Four years ago, Spurrier just kicked Dabos ass for a 3rd time. (Fifth straight i think.)SC was on the rise and Dabo was a joke to Spurrier. Clemson fans clamored for his firing. He never would have made it at Florida. Sometime the system works.
His system didnt work, we decided not to get in the arms race and SOS got old.

SOS beat Saban too.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Little interesting comparison from gatorcountry:

It took Dabo 2 years to win a division title; it took Mac 1. It took Dabo 4 years to win a second division title; it took Mac 2. It took Dabo 4 years to win 10 games; it took Mac 1, and he did it again in Year 2 (counting the cancelled Presbyterian game that was an automatic win). It took Dabo 4 years to win a conference championship, 8 years to win a second conference title, and 8 years to appear in his first national title game; Mac is still working on those. The takeaway of course being that Swinney took awhile to get things rolling at Clemson. Mac is ahead of him on the all the Year 1 and Year 2 timelines." -Gatorcountry

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Little interesting comparison from gatorcountry:

It took Dabo 2 years to win a division title; it took Mac 1. It took Dabo 4 years to win a second division title; it took Mac 2. It took Dabo 4 years to win 10 games; it took Mac 1, and he did it again in Year 2 (counting the cancelled Presbyterian game that was an automatic win). It took Dabo 4 years to win a conference championship, 8 years to win a second conference title, and 8 years to appear in his first national title game; Mac is still working on those. The takeaway of course being that Swinney took awhile to get things rolling at Clemson. Mac is ahead of him on the all the Year 1 and Year 2 timelines." -Gatorcountry
I'm with you on all this, but the recruiting has to turn around. Land an elite QB and everything changes.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
We'll see next year, no real enthusiasm until we beat one of the "real" contenders in CFB, Michigan would be a good start.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is if Mack doesn't magically really turn around recruiting this class. If not a decent young QB wont be enough to save us. Heck Tebow and our offense were top notch in 2007 and we still lost 4 games with the bowl game and that was with a situation on defense a little similar to what we probably have coming up in 2017 and I don't see no 2007 type offense in the next few years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
At the end of the day, I still believe we are a qb away from turning perception around.
He has essentially won the east and 10 games twice now with no QB, Finishes 14 this year. Check Dabos first four years............he would have been ridden out on a rail if here.................gotta agree with you Slev

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Last edited:

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He has essentially won the east and 10 games twice now with no QB, Finishes 14 this year. Check Dabos first four years............he would have been ridden out on a rail if here.................gotta agree with you Slev
Mac won the East because he got lucky.
Dabo recruited top 3 in the ACC. Not 8-10 in the SEC like Mac is doing and he built his teams from the OL-DL out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

No he wouldn't have with bringing that Clemson defense up like that and the Clemson recruiting compared to previous years. They were just a bit away from the offense becoming good. 2 totally different scenarios were going on unless Mac gets his recruiting act together very quickly. We can never attain what is expected if recruiting stays where its at under Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator