Gators in free fall, lose to Tennessee

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This game was so frustrating from what I was able to watch!

How many times did I see a guy drive the lane... have an opportunity to dump it off to a big and instead... try to hit a 8 foot jump shot over somebody!!!!????

I saw Allen get an easy look at a layup on a fast break, but instead he takes an open 3. Take the guaranteed 2 points!

How many layups did we miss????

We left so many easy baskets on the table... could have easily won a game where we finally played good D!!!!

It seems to be a rare instance when they actually play both in a game. It does happen, but they need consistency. Unfortunately, it's too late in the season in my opinion to get them to buy in. So, I will be watching and hoping for the best with no expectations.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not real crazy about the direction basketball in general has taken over the last few years, but this year's version at UF is, to me, just flat-out unwatchable. Many in this thread and a lot going back to the beginning of the season have pin-pointed things that we do (or don't do) that makes it such. Settling for a three when there is an open lane for the lay-up, 25 seconds of dribbling and then jack up a low percentage shot, no inside game (though Stone looks like he's coming on some of late), poor ball movement, half-hearted or no fundamentals where passing is concerned, slow feet on any offensive or defensive movement (failure to close out on opposing jumpers, etc.), an overall lack of effort for stretches in games...and little or no corrections :boom:

What makes it worse to me is what I hear White saying ("...a lot of jogging around, I can't seem to reach these guys, etc.") is that he's lost and doesn't know what to do to make things better. The time for action was probably after the early stretch where everyone thought we were going to plow undefeated through the ranks. The boat's underwater, bailing at this point isn't going to help much I'm afraid.

I personally hate what it looks like we want to do on offense...take a ton of three's, slow it way down when we have a lead (play not to lose), and occasionally try and run some sort of diagrammed offense. This isn't a good plan under the best of circumstances IMO and it's even worse when you are small, lazy, and uninterested much of the time on defense. Things could turn around here late, but if I had to bet, this season will be the wash that it's looking like. If White's back next year (and the Ol' Miss rumors are just that), the best thing he can do is keep getting the younger guys some experience and hope the recruits can come in and make a difference. Otherwise, it'll be more of the same most likely.

This collapse has been almost as disappointing as the Don DeVoe debacle for this old Gator. Never thought I'd see such after the successes we've all enjoyed.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Free throw shooting. Down 57-60 with 25 seconds left Cheese missed the front end of a 1 and 1. Pretty wild considering he is reliable from the line. And then they burn like 12 seconds off the clock before fouling. I'm not saying that was the issue, because clearly the offense was struggling. Oh, Allen went scoreless.

He missed two front ends last night. The other was late in the first half as UTn got out to that 9 point lead. Also during the same stretch Koulechov missed a free throw. As someone said during the game, don't these guys know what is on the line?

Among the mistakes I think that can be put at the foot of White:

1. Not understanding that playing 3 guards is really hard to get away with at this level.

2. Not getting enough big guys ready to play, not trusting them enough and getting them enough experience so when necessary like last night you can play a rotation in the post of Hayes, Bassett and Gak and a rotation at the 3 of Koulechov and Stone. At times last night UF needed 3 real bigs in the game.

3. Taking Hudson as a transfer and crushing Allen's game. I like Hudson as a player. I am willing to give White some slack on this, but an experienced coach would have considered whether or not Allen could mentally handle this situation.

4. Not being able to motivate his team to get up for games like Loyola-Chicago, at UGa, SoCar, UGa. All of those games should be in the W column and probably UAL at home too.

5. Not being able to coach his team to finish games like Duke, Clemson, etc.

6. Possibly burning Chiozza and maybe others with too many minutes.

I am willing to give White some slack on the UGa game. If you coach your team to being up by 6 with 25 seconds left, you team has to be able to bring that one home.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not real crazy about the direction basketball in general has taken over the last few years, but this year's version at UF is, to me, just flat-out unwatchable. Many in this thread and a lot going back to the beginning of the season have pin-pointed things that we do (or don't do) that makes it such. Settling for a three when there is an open lane for the lay-up, 25 seconds of dribbling and then jack up a low percentage shot, no inside game (though Stone looks like he's coming on some of late), poor ball movement, half-hearted or no fundamentals where passing is concerned, slow feet on any offensive or defensive movement (failure to close out on opposing jumpers, etc.), an overall lack of effort for stretches in games...and little or no corrections :boom:

What makes it worse to me is what I hear White saying ("...a lot of jogging around, I can't seem to reach these guys, etc.") is that he's lost and doesn't know what to do to make things better. The time for action was probably after the early stretch where everyone thought we were going to plow undefeated through the ranks. The boat's underwater, bailing at this point isn't going to help much I'm afraid.

I personally hate what it looks like we want to do on offense...take a ton of three's, slow it way down when we have a lead (play not to lose), and occasionally try and run some sort of diagrammed offense. This isn't a good plan under the best of circumstances IMO and it's even worse when you are small, lazy, and uninterested much of the time on defense. Things could turn around here late, but if I had to bet, this season will be the wash that it's looking like. If White's back next year (and the Ol' Miss rumors are just that), the best thing he can do is keep getting the younger guys some experience and hope the recruits can come in and make a difference. Otherwise, it'll be more of the same most likely.

This collapse has been almost as disappointing as the Don DeVoe debacle for this old Gator. Never thought I'd see such after the successes we've all enjoyed.

Cover, I said the same thing on Monday.
It is time for White to bench the seniors, and the juniors that are doing time like Hudson, and play the five youngest players he has.
We have five games left this season ( 3 regular season, 1 SEC tournament, 1 NIT) so let's get the young guys as much experience as possible.
Playing Egor, Cheese, and Hudson is a complete waste of time at this point. Although Cheese has been a committed member of the team for four years, we owe the other two nothing.

As I mentioned in another post, I did not watch last night and I slept much better so I may get comfortable with this new approach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Told ya White to Ole Miss is all but done...
Not exactly. Construction on the "second half" of the house was ended when none of the workers showed up.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see us winning anymore games so we are out of the tourney...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator