Gators on track for worst ranking in the Rivals era

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im not sure if you are serious here?

Why would ratings from a service that didnt even exist for a decade, that show almost every player signed for even the top 10 classes were all zero stars?

We have never been reduced to taking FIU, UAB, and Houston Baptist recruits. We have never been this bad even in a transition, and never three years ina row.

Your the last person in the know on this man. Everyone sees what is going on.
Actually he probably knows more about it than any of us here, but his paycheck requires him to toe the company line :dance:

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
I think the quality of players is actually good. The main issue is no one or two elite players (and we all know they can bust), and the number of commits. I just don't see how you can only have 14 at this point. If they add 10 more 3-stars the class ranking will jump inside 20 and maybe 15. Not that that is something to brag about.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's an odd question given the context of this thread. You've changed the angle of attack a little here. I think what you are doing is probing the perimeter and trying to find a weak spot to concentrate on.

It's actually a pretty good move. I'll bite though.

There is no way to answer the question as worded. It's a veiled question designed to get me to deny that Mac is the worst recruiter.

It appears that this class is going to land somewhere around 15. It is historically unusual for a Gators coach to have three consecutive classes without one landing in the top 10. It is also highly unusual for a Gators coach to miss out on so many top ranked players.

There is no way we can tell if Mac is actually the worst recruiter until the players he signs have ended their careers. It may turn out that his classes were much like Clemson's recent classes (ranked in the teens yet played for championships). However, given the information that we currently have it would appear that the worst recruiter title may be appropriate.

As to the why, again I don't think that is a question any of us could answer.

Explain why FSU and Georgia have 16 total out of the Rivals top 100 now while we only currently have one of those players?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the quality of players is actually good. The main issue is no one or two elite players (and we all know they can bust), and the number of commits. I just don't see how you can only have 14 at this point. If they add 10 more 3-stars the class ranking will jump inside 20 and maybe 15. Not that that is something to brag about.

Really. We have one player in the Rivals Top 100 compared to 16 total for Georgia and FSU our two biggest rivals.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So nearly double the class size on the last weekend before NSD?

4459836-fua-that-s-a-bold-strategy-cotton-let-s-see-if-it-pays-off-for-em.jpg

HauntedGator

Dec 14, 2016
Ive been following Gator recruiting for as long as I can remember and Im 48. I cant remember a class in the condition as the current. Its really deflating. I guess I took for granted those classes in the past, Pell, Hall, HBC, Zook, Meyer, Muschamp....just always thought that logo would always sell itself even with subpar coaching. I want to believe Mac knows what hes doing but the proof is in the pudding and this pudding is turning rancid. If this class doesnt improve 150% by signing day Mac has a LOT of explaining to do. And maybe a swift boot in his ass would be appropriate.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've been following Gator recruiting since...well, no I haven't. And thank goodness! It's so much less stressful to just tune in when the season starts and see how my Gators do.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No, I get it. I was just saying they could. I don't think they will, but for what it is worth bowl-cut feels like they could max out the class.
Here's a tip, whatever bowl says, believe the opposite. Hell, bet money on it, because its a winner.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No, I get it. I was just saying they could. I don't think they will, but for what it is worth bowl-cut feels like they could max out the class.

I think we come up a little short on 25 but it does seem Mac is offering quite a few 3 stars commited to lower level programs late in the process to try to get that number up.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Really. We have one player in the Rivals Top 100 compared to 16 total for Georgia and FSU our two biggest rivals.
I understand and valid point. I'm not excited about this upcoming class. The only issue I have is that there are too many players in HS to rank 1-100 or 1-250. If ratings are valid then any 4-star cornerback should be as good as any other 4-star cornerback? Correct? If not what is the point of the star rating. Lets remember Tabor was a 5-star and Wilson a 4-star. I think most would say Wilson had a better year this season. I think many project him to be picked near or above Tabor. Once you get to a 4-star level you are getting a good player. I'm hoping we get a windfall, but I really doubt it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been following Gator recruiting since...well, no I haven't. And thank goodness! It's so much less stressful to just tune in when the season starts and see how my Gators do.
Well, be a mushroom if you wish, but what happens between now and nsd determines how you team plays the next 2-3 years.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I understand and valid point. I'm not excited about this upcoming class. The only issue I have is that there are too many players in HS to rank 1-100 or 1-250. If ratings are valid then any 4-star cornerback should be as good as any other 4-star cornerback? Correct? If not what is the point of the star rating. Lets remember Tabor was a 5-star and Wilson a 4-star. I think most would say Wilson had a better year this season. I think many project him to be picked near or above Tabor. Once you get to a 4-star level you are getting a good player. I'm hoping we get a windfall, but I really doubt it.
Rankings arent an exact science, they are an estimate and projection. There are 5 star busts and 2 stars who end up in the NFL, but if you run the numerical averages, they breakdown consistently just how you think they would. 5's have the best track record percentage wise of being great and making the nfl, then 4s, then 3s, etc.

Just because you can find individual exceptions doesn't mean that the system or the rankings are wrong.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, be a mushroom if you wish, but what happens between now and nsd determines how you team plays the next 2-3 years.

And I have zero, I repeat zero influence on it. Watching it closely, or not watching it at all will make no difference in the end result.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I have zero, I repeat zero influence on it. Watching it closely, or not watching it at all will make no difference in the end result.
The same can be said of spring game and the actual games. Why watch? Makes no difference?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

The same is true on Saturdays

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The same can be said of spring game and the actual games. Why watch? Makes no difference?

The same is true on Saturdays

Of course it can, and yet...On Saturdays during the football season, I can actually see those players on the field. I can see those beautiful Orange and Blue uniforms in all their glory representing our great university. I can also see thousands upon thousands of rabid fans yelling and screaming their heads off for our team. It's a little bit different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.