Gators part ways with DB coach Kirk Callahan

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I was just told that we'll be announcing our new DB coach shortly after signing day. They didn’t go into details of what "shortly" meant but it's supposedly a big time hire. Unless something changes in the next few days I think we'll all be happy about this one #ChompChomp

Of the names Ive heard bantered about Corey Raymond seems the most promising but the least likely to get away from his alma mater. i just hope this will be a home run hire. Lord knows we could use the help.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I seriously doubt it's Corey James. More than likely going to be fau's db coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of the names Ive heard bantered about Corey Raymond seems the most promising but the least likely to get away from his alma mater. i just hope this will be a home run hire. Lord knows we could use the help.
Not my first choice.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Yep...we need all the help we can get and then some if we're going to get where we can "consistently compete" for National Titles again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't worry. You won't get your first choice either.
b3329f771a2795c23c65e818b58d3a2c.gif

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Its never the name thats getting leaked.

My memory not being what it once was, :eek:ldman: didn't we have a story like this last year with the receivers coach? Maybe? Mac was saying we would be impressed by the hire and that it would be a big name and then when it was announced we were all like, Who? Was it Dixon?

So I'm not holding my breath.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My memory not being what it once was, :eek:ldman: didn't we have a story like this last year with the receivers coach? Maybe? Mac was saying we would be impressed by the hire and that it would be a big name and then when it was announced we were all like, Who? Was it Dixon?

So I'm not holding my breath.
It was Dixon.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't it the Oregon receivers coach who was coming and word leaked early causing the agreement to fall apart?
Or not? My memory isn't any better than MAD's.
You are correct my friend

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are correct my friend
In all fairness, that Oregon WR coach is now their OC - he made the right choice (for him). He was likely just using us as leverage, similar to what Raymond recently did.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just told that we'll be announcing our new DB coach shortly after signing day. They didn’t go into details of what "shortly" meant but it's supposedly a big time hire. Unless something changes in the next few days I think we'll all be happy about this one #ChompChomp

Big time hire, but we are holding announcing it until after NSD?
Doesn't add up.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Big time hire, but we are holding announcing it until after NSD?
Doesn't add up.

Right UR, such a big-time hire worth hiding such a recruit-attractive hire we need to surprise
all of 'em after NSD.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
"SOME INSIGHT AS TO WHAT LED TO CALLAHAN’S DEPARTURE

Ultimately, Callahan didn’t prove to be the fit Florida wanted at defensive backs coach.

According to one source close to the team, the 30-year-old Callahan “really didn't coach the guys that were already in place” in the secondary.

“He'd mostly work with the younger players, leaving the others to basically run their own practices and in the game the coaches called in the plays and they executed, or tried to,” the source told ITG. “He was a nice person, but didn't seem to do much coaching from what I saw."

Though it appears Callahan was already falling out of favor, from what we were told the tipping point occurred during a recent staff recruiting meeting with a very verbal disagreement between Callahan and another staff member which helped bring to the forefront some of Callahan's liabilities along the recruiting trail.

One high school coach who resides in Callahan’s recruiting area of central Florida who spoke on terms of anonymity said that Callahan was getting out-recruited by other coaches in his region."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One high school coach who resides in Callahan’s recruiting area of central Florida who spoke on terms of anonymity said that Callahan was getting out-recruited by other coaches in his region."
We needed an anonymous HS coach to figure this out? Perhaps we need to go talk to anonymous coaches in all the other regions in which we were being out-recruited, which means every region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator