Gators Score 5 Runs in the 9th For A Wild Finish Win

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators score 5 runs in the top of the 9th inning. They amassed 17 hits..... :)

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, what a surprise. They even overcame Schwarz's 5 strikeouts. Here's a kid that has gotten worse every year. He completely forgot how to hit. He just gets up there and flails and even when he hits one it seems lucky. But good old Sully has kept him hitting 3rd. What a putz. That's almost as bad as having Baker, a guy who had never gotten a hit, leading off for 3 games.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I went to bed around 11 w/ the good guys down 6-3....woke up this morning to find they won on 5 runs scored in the 9th.

Faedo had a rough night, but got a no-decision.

First UF win of the season when trailing after the 7th inning.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20170413/ARTICLES/170419974/1180?p=1&tc=pg

Gators rally in 9th to defeat Vanderbilt, 10-6

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Florida scored five runs in the ninth inning Thursday to defeat Vanderbilt 10-6.

Florida (23-11, 7-6 SEC) trailed 6-5 but rallied to score five runs on five hits, including a three-run double by freshman Austin Langworthy.

Senior Ryan Larson continued his hot hitting, going 5-for-5 with two RBI. Deacon Liput had three hits and scored two runs.

Vanderbilt (21-14, 6-7 SEC) took the early lead and held it for most of the game. The Gators won for the first time this season when trailing after the seventh inning.

Vanderbilt had three hits and took advantage of a UF error to score three runs, only one earned, for a 3-0 lead in the second inning.

A sacrifice fly by Dalton Guthrie and a run-scoring single by Langworthy brought the Gators within 3-2 in the third.

Two more unearned runs in the fourth gave Vandy a 5-2 lead.

A walk to Nelson Maldonado forced in a run that made the score 5-3 in the fifth.

Jeren Kendall’s home run off UF starter Alex Faedo increased the Commodores’ lead to 6-3 in the bottom of the fifth.

Florida cut the deficit to 6-4 after Larson doubled and later scored on Liput’s groundout in the sixth.

The Gators closed to 6-5 in the seventh when Larson’s double scored Maldonado, who had singled, from first.

UF let a golden opportunity go by the boards in the eighth when JJ Schwarz, who fanned five times in the game, struck out with runners on third and second. Then, after Maldonado walked to load the bases, a wild pitch got away but it ricochets off the backboard right back to the catcher and he tagged Guthrie out at the plate.

Faedo pitched six complete innings, giving up six runs – just two earned – on seven hits. Freshman Garrett Milchin worked two scoreless innings.

Closer Michael Byrne finished it off in the bottom of the ninth, striking out two.

Game 2 of the three-game series is at 7:30 p.m. today. UF is expected to go with righty Brady Singer (3-1, 1.58 ERA) on the mound vs. Vandy RHP Kyle Wright (1-4, 4.81 ERA).

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we have to worry about peeps beotchin about us losing early in Omaha this year.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we have to worry about peeps beotchin about us losing early in Omaha this year.

With our starting rotation, you never know. Plus, the bats are starting to come around. Don't lose hope Goonie :)

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Also would like to point out how incredible Ryan Larson's turnaround has been. His improvement from last year to this year is unreal. Happy for him, cuz I dogged him and Sully last year when he'd PH Larson who was hitting in the .100s.

Keep it up, Larson!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With our starting rotation, you never know. Plus, the bats are starting to come around. Don't lose hope Goonie :)

Giving Vandy 4 unearned runs in the first 4 innnings is worrisome to me, but I hope you are right.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Giving Vandy 4 unearned runs in the first 4 innnings is worrisome to me, but I hope you are right.

Yea I agree. We struggle with the fundamentals a lot unfortunately. Hicks can't be in the lineup, he's already made 8 errors and doesn't hit much. Hopefully somebody can step up and man 3B soon.

Baseball is an odd sport, never know who will get hot at the right time.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I turned this off and went to bed also. Nice surprise to wake up to.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
A game like that could start the hot streak, we'll see. Still 5 SEC series left. Rivera is out 4 weeks with broken hand, which allows another good player some ABs.

I like where we are at. I anticipate hosting a regional and going on the road for Supers. Kinda hope this the path we take as I have been saying all year this may help us

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I also turned it off at 6-3 b/c it was another nauseating performance up to that point in terms of fundamentals. someone mentioned it already about how poor this team is fundamentally, yet many do not see it b/c they have a great fielding percentage, but like Hicks not charging that bunt until way too late and again with the zillion useless pop ups. Put the ball on the ground and see what happens. With that said it was a terrific comeback win, especially with JJ doing zero except creating a large breeze with his bat by swinging and missing constantly. OMG Ryan Larson probably has more hits this season than in his previous 18 seasons here. He has been here about that long right, LOL? Yes we have a lot of injuries, but that is no excuse for poor baserunning, useless pop ups, can't score more than 1 run with bases loaded and no outs, etc. Also, I know we have 3 very good starters, but how is it that they can really miss their spots when they have huge plus counts (0-2. 1-2, etc.)? Shore who was a great starter but did that a lot too. I know that is not Sully's fault, but it is frustrating how often it happens. And lastly about fundamentals and maybe this is why we hit useless pop ups, but watching other teams just try to hit the ball where it is pitched, our guys seem to either want to hit a HR every swing or pull balls when pitched outside. Need much better plate discipline, but season is getting short. Hope we can find the magic potion when post season starts.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A game like that could start the hot streak, we'll see. Still 5 SEC series left. Rivera is out 4 weeks with broken hand, which allows another good player some ABs.

I like where we are at. I anticipate hosting a regional and going on the road for Supers. Kinda hope this the path we take as I have been saying all year this may help us

Getting swept by Auburn types helps us how?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, what a surprise. They even overcame Schwarz's 5 strikeouts. Here's a kid that has gotten worse every year. He completely forgot how to hit. He just gets up there and flails and even when he hits one it seems lucky. But good old Sully has kept him hitting 3rd. What a putz. That's almost as bad as having Baker, a guy who had never gotten a hit, leading off for 3 games.

Time to let Mr. Schwarz watch for a few games. He is absolutely awful, even his sister was a better hitter and she batted 9th for the softball team.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mods, please merge into thread discussing this topic that was started earlier!

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Yea, because no championship team has every been swept before in the regular season.

Maybe think before such a reply. This is baseball..

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yea, because no championship team has every been swept before in the regular season.

Maybe think before such a reply. This is baseball..

This team plays like crap half the time, dip.....it is going nowhere, fast......just watch

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Goonie, you are correct, this team does play like crap (or as Sully likes to say, does not play cleanly) and of all the few people who talk baseball on any Gator board, DZ knows as well as anyone that this team has underachieved. However DZ has been saying since the beginning of the season that he hopes we are NOT a top 8 seed. He wants to see if we can have better results if we can make it to Omaha and had to take a more difficult path, not at the comforts of home. Trust me DZ is no shill for Sully or the baseball team. He is honest but he does happen to be a fan and always tries to see hope in the situation. But he is by no means oblivious to what is going on in the field or the dugout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator