Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Fear Not Gator Fans, 2014 Will Bring Relief...One Way or Another

image.php

by cover2

Having been a Gator for the better part of two decades and experiencing the lows ("Wait 'til next year...") and the highs (inaugural SEC Championships, three NC's, etc.), 2013 was markedly different than any year than I can recall. I don't know that I have seen such a perfect storm of injuries, coaching staff issues, player performance, struggles with and a loss to lesser programs, rumor and innuendo like that season brought. Time was, many of the older Gators might have reacted to a 4-8 season with the ubiquitous and aforementioned "wait 'til next year" and many trips through Pablo's Tunnel, but today's fan base is not so cookie cutter (or easily dulled by cases of cheap domestic). Success and being in THE elite college football conference, among other factors, will raise your expectations.

There are two obvious factions: "Pumpers," who might best be described as lashed to the ship's wheel with eyes affixed only to the horizon in front, and well, those fans without a certified moniker who believe a coup d'état starting with Muschamp and Foley is the only way to right the good ship. Certainly there are many sub factions as well. All have compelling arguments to bolster their stance and will exuberantly employ those in debate with their fellow reptilian brethren until they are blue in the face. Just who is right and who is wrong likely remains caught in the turbulence between the extremes. But that is not what is most important.

History, particularly that of sports, is full of examples of teams or individuals that endured the "agony of defeat" before rallying later to come out on top or significantly better than they were. Our '95 Gators, under the leadership of arguably our most favorite son and undefeated in the regular season, laid a giant egg against the Cornhuskers that year in the NC game.

We all know how the story ended the next year.

Now, that is not to say the '14 edition is anywhere as good or will recreate that scenario, but surely one of two things must happen: they will be markedly improved with the HBC returning to continue his development and to lead the Orange and Blue back to the promised land, or they'll be average at best and the next chapter in the Gators' coaching story will begin. Either way, change will occur and some, if not most of us, will be in a better place than we are currently.

Personally, I've always been a little more patient with this type of situation, especially where leadership and my favorite school and team are concerned, but even an old stick-in-the-mud can come to realize that something has to give. By November at the latest, we'll know for certain how and what that was and whatever the change may be, one thing that I'll look forward to is a return to collegiality (if there has, in fact, been some serious erosion) by our fans. Quite frankly, it's a lot more enjoyable defending the flag against Nole, Dawg, and Vol interlopers and the myriad of other gridiron scoundrels that infest our schedule than going toe to toe with the guy sitting next to me in Section 54. He's the same guy who's dressed in like apparel and whom I've enjoyed countless afternoons with at BHG and now nearly come to blows over whether Muschamp can get it turned around or if he should have long since been run out of town. To say the least, I am anxiously awaiting a return to "normal."

I think it was in a high school English class that I first heard the quote "Time heals all wounds." As an adult, I have found that to be true. For example, I eventually got over that first real romance that happened in college and ended much like my '73 Nova did when I ran off the road and hit a pine tree after a night at Big Daddy's (damn that Beat the Clock night). I got over losing to our high school arch rival 1-0 in overtime on some crazy penetration rule that the FHSAA had instituted in 1976 (I'm still not happy about losing, but I haven't broken anything in several years). I got over not making it in the medical field (a hearty 'thanks' to Organic Chemistry on that one and to Joe Flannigan, too). I'll get over 2013, one way or another and the sooner the better. So, until the season finally begins, here's an early toast to change and swaying arm in arm at the end of the third quarter and really meaning it once more. It's high time.

Go Gators!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In all kinds of weather...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately there is a third scenario that I think many of us are worried about. Say we go 9-4 where we eek out 9 close victories and suffer 4 bad losses in a season relatively free of injury and where the ball mostly bounces our way. That's probably enough wins to prevent a coaching change, but we would still have to be legitimately concerned about the following season as injuries happen in sports and the ball doesn't always bounce your way.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent article though. Sorry to be a Debbie downer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't wait until November.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Very well written cover2. I think it is possible we find ourselves in the abismal third situation, but way more likely we either improve or stay bad. At least I hope.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"You didn't shoot Liberty Valence.....I did."
Tom Doniphin

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice write up...and a good perspective. Steve Spurrier, as coach, raised our expectations. Talent continues to flow into our program...but college ball is different than high school ball. It takes coaching and schemes to succeed. You don't win it all every year, but you do want to be in the mix. Each game is an animal in of itself. In spite of all the things that happened last year, we are still better than that. I will always be a Gator because it is my birthright, and I cheer for all Gator sports, and all Gator victories, not just football. It will not be difficult to see the product on the field this year because of the product we saw on the field last year. It will be what it will be, but I hope we can all see that it is a significant improvement over what we saw.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n11460 said:
Fear Not Gator Fans, 2014 Will Bring Relief...One Way or Another

Now, that is not to say the '14 edition is anywhere as good or will recreate that scenario, but surely one of two things must happen: they will be markedly improved with the HBC returning to continue his development and to lead the Orange and Blue back to the promised land, or they'll be average at best and the next chapter in the Gators' coaching story will begin. Either way, change will occur and some, if not most of us, will be in a better place than we are currently.

There is one scenario which will create a lot of controversy unless the big boosters force Foley's hand. 8-4 pre-bowl with another loss to Georgia. Imo going 4-8 instead of 6-6/7-5 last season should not give him a pass for that this season but I think Foley would be pushing to keep him.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
Thanks Bernardo. I'm kind of at the place where I think 8-4 and another loss to UGA isn't good enough to keep Will. I think that was likely settled with him staying after last season. We'll soon see.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
Tom Doniphin
One my favorite movies, but it's Liberty Valance and Tom Doniphon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
cornbread said:
what is your favorite songs on the ipod?
Only because you asked...

Been listening to "The Passenger" (Iggy Pop), "Slow Turnin'" (John Hiatt), "The Core" (Clapton), and "Thunder Island (Jay Ferguson). We're at the beach this week and that's what popped up on the shuffle.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, Cover2. I agree completely, and I hope you do more of these articles in the future.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was a fun article to read and puts things in perspective. I can handle a loss (or multiple). But I would like to enjoy watching us play again. I do want the scrub teams to fear coming to the Swamp.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
I feel the same way. 8-4 has to include a win against UGA. A loss to UGA better include 9 or more wins on the season or he's gone. It's hard to get the measure of Jeremy after he decided to stick with WM after last year though. Only time will tell how he handles it.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter said:
Tom Doniphin
This was a quote by the real killer. He was from Miamah. I had never seen the whole movie until about 6 months ago when one of the networks ran a JW weekend. The end had a great twist.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The "third" scenario is the scariest. The just enough to keep his job but again failing to win anything or beat FSU/UGA. That is why I advocate the ATL or bust line in the sand. There's no grey area. I think its a joke that people would claim 8-4 is some big turnaround. The guy lost to Vandy and a I-AA school. It was an awful hire. I would hate to be stuck with him in 2015 just because he goes 8-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.