GCMB Book/Author Suggestions

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I know many of you all probably aren't interested but working in the field of history, I am an avid reader of U.S. and World History primarily focusing on the Cold War Period between 1946-1989; though, I do enjoy reading on other historical time periods as well as biographies

I figured I'd make this post in hope of reaching out to others who enjoy reading and see what they enjoy and what they perhaps suggest to me and other members; fiction, non-fiction...history or non-history...just seeing what others are enjoying out there..

My List: May 2016:
The Kennedy Autospy

Heinrich Himmler: The Sinister Life of the Head of the Gestapo

The Mantle of Command: FDR at War, 1941-1942

Robert Kennedy and His Times

American Maelstrom: The 1968 Election and the Politics of Division

Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford

The Vietnam War: Soldier Stories: Untold Tales of Soldiers on the Battlefield of the Vietnam War

Conspiracy Theories: Strange and Mysterious Unexplained Disappearances, Murder Mysteries and Conspiracy Theories from Around the World

History Decoded: The 10 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There a million biographies on Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin. So many in fact that I have never read one. Anyone have a favorite for those 3?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
There a million biographies on Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin. So many in fact that I have never read one. Anyone have a favorite for those 3?

Jefferson; all three are unique but Jefferson presided over a nation in its "Toddler" stage

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Wright Brothers, also by McCullough.

Rocket Men, by Craig Nelson

With the Old Breed, by E. B. Sledge

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The Wright Brothers, also by McCullough.

Rocket Men, by Craig Nelson

With the Old Breed, by E. B. Sledge

I'll have to check out Rocker Men...I've read With the Old Breed...amazing that anyone could make it through Peleliu and Okinawa

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Just finished Eisenhower by Stephen Ambrose. It was really good. Now reading American Caesar by William Manchester. Much better read IMO.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
How about some up-and-coming authors who just happen to be UF alums? Both of these guys are published authors and they used to be regulars over at my old forum.

Terry Maggert writes supernatural fantasy and has a number of books to his credit.

Bill Beverly has recently published his first novel, Dodgers, about an L.A. gang member who travels to Wisconsin to kill a witness. It's gotten some really good critical press.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Amazon product

Cigar City Mafia not the longest read, but excellent book. Read it while traveling on my honeymoon and resting on the beach. Read a few others by the same author on the mafia's of Florida.

DCab

Mar 18, 2016
George Friedman - The Next Decade

A good read on current and future politics combining history, geography, regional conflicts and of course politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.