GCMB Poll: Best clutch NFL QB

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by '78, Jun 29, 2018.

?

Best clutch QB evuh

1. Tom Brady

39.1%
  2. Joe Montana

39.1%
  3. Dan Marino

10.9%
  4. Brett Favre

2.2%
  5. John Elway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aaron Rodgers

6.5%
  7. Ben Roethlisberger

2.2%
  1. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $5,959
    Ratings:
    +11,868 / -311
    The problem from my perspective is I'm just old enough that I was able to watch him live. He wasn't nearly the same passer as in the '58 cliffhanger at Yankee Stadium. There wasn't much left in the tank. That's the Unitas I remember.

2. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,097
    Ratings:
    +5,293 / -58
    The real question, if you had all the quarterbacks in the same era of football, which would be the most clutch. It's easier to be more clutch in this era of football, because defensive players can't touch the WR and have like a 2 foot square area they are allowed to hit the quarterback. Can you image what Johnny U, Montana, Marino, Stauback, etc.. would do in this era of football. How much longer their careers might have been?

• g8r.tom

g8r.tom Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $954
      Ratings:
      +988 / -11
      Johnny Unitas

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $5,959
        Ratings:
        +11,868 / -311
        Probably my favorite come-from-behind guy because of how good he is at feeling and evading the rush and how good he is at throwing on the run. Quick feet, great arm strength and unflappable under duress.

Note how Roethlisberger almost always buys a himself an extra tick by stepping up in the pocket, something all young quarterbacks need to learn. Love watching this guy.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,520
          Ratings:
          +9,209 / -12

Great QB.

Reprehensible human being. Fcuk him.

Alex.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
            $2,893
            Ratings:
            +10,913 / -102
            Clutch is a bit of an abstract term. Now if I was listing the best to play the game, I think Brady would get the top spot. With Unitas just slightly behind him. By the way, just because I’m saying he is the best, it doesn’t necessarily mean that I would want him for every situation.

If I had a team whose defense really sucked, I would probably go with Marino or Elway.

If we were playing during the 60s and 70s where the defenses were brutal and unrelenting, I would go with Unitas, Bradshaw, or Favre.

If there were only two minutes left in the game and we had to score a TD to win, I would take Elway.

And if we were playing in today’s environment it would be Brady in a runaway. His ability to dissect defenses is phenomenal.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
              $2,893
              Ratings:
              +10,913 / -102
              The fact that the NFL has two rapists as franchise faces of their league is reprehensible.

• MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,511
                Ratings:
                +8,114 / -28
                I always wonder what Marino's stats would be if he played in this era of football.

• MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,511
                Ratings:
                +8,114 / -28
                Growing up in Wisconsin it was fun as hell watching Favre. Rodgers is phenomenal, but Brady got my vote.

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $5,959
                Ratings:
                +11,868 / -311
                I unfortunately have to agree.

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,597
                Ratings:
                +3,797 / -9
                Saddest thing was to watch Johnny U “play” his last season with the Chargers. The guy could barely use his right arm near the end.

Kind of the same with Namath and the Rams.
                Watching him try to scramble with those knees was painful to watch.

Bradshaw is still my #1 though- but Brady is frickin’ impressive as hell, even with today’s rules.
                Damn his perfect life and supermodel wife!
                At least I can make fun of his fashion choices.

[​IMG]

• Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $739
                  Ratings:
                  +819 / -152
                  I was at the Orange Bowl in December 1972....8 years old. Last regular season game for the 13-0 Dolphins. They played the Colts and Johnny Unitas made an appearance. Like Gatordiddy (EC) wrote, Unitas was not the same QB....but I can say that I not only saw him in person but got to see the Fins go undefeated.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                    $1,143
                    Ratings:
                    +2,388 / -201
                    It being a team game it is impossible to really tell. I do seem to remember Bob Greise being in the hospital before the game, he played very little since he threw the ball much more than typical won as well as I recall.

The mention of a hospital reminds Griese, 72, of a Shula story. This was 1971. Griese had been in the hospital all week with borderline pneumonia. At 10 a.m. on game day, the team doctor said he was OK to leave.

“Coach says, ‘Why don’t you dress and just stand on the sideline?’” Griese recalls. “I don’t have the ankles taped or anything. Then, after a bit, he’s like, ‘You think you can play?’ When we fall behind, like 14-0, he says, ‘Why don’t you take the next snap?’”

The coach musters up a mock glare across the table. “We won the game, right?”

In looking for this I found an article that any Dolphin fan from that era would greatly enjoy. Check it out.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-shula-griese-20170420-story.html

That and how he did it makes it the most clutch playing I have seen. Note I am biased being both a Dolphin fan and the two individuals involved in the article as well.