GCMB Poll: Best UF play you've seen

Choose one

• Total voters

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I could live with any of these choices but I took The Immaculate Reception!

James Jones......

My freshman year too...
I was sitting a little up and to the right in that crowd watching JJ catch that ball. I was afraid that the refs were going to say he was out of bounds.
I was so hoarse after that game...

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Back to old school. Larry Smith's (pants falling down) 94 yard TD run '67 Orange Bowl . There's a tape of it somewhere but I can't find it.

And Lane Fenner's no catch 1966. Crocodile tears for the Noles.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My freshman year too...
I was sitting a little up and to the right in that crowd watching JJ catch that ball. I was afraid that the refs were going to say he was out of bounds.
I was so hoarse after that game...

I was there that day. Marvelous atmosphere but a little warm if I remember right.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back to old school. Larry Smith's (pants falling down) 94 yard TD run '67 Orange Bowl . There's a tape of it somewhere but I can't find it.

I played against Larry Smith in HS, he was a Beast!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
There is no doubt. Reaves to Alvarez against Houston in 1969. Went to that game to see the Gators try valiantly against the #1 team in the nation. Smoked those cats from the third play of the game.

Here's the play.

I had seen Reaves in the Spring game and I knew he could throw it. We tried a couple of runs that gained by a yard each. On third down Reaves dropped back and let it fly just like in practice. Alvarez caught in on the run and it was pandemonium. At the start of the second half students lined the field as the Gators came out of the locker room. People who were listening to Otis Boggs' radio broadcast drove their cars over to the stadium and the second half attendance at the game was quite a bit larger than it was at half-time. People who came to the game thinking it was going to be non-stop Elmo Wright dancing in the end zone saw instead the debut of the Super Sophs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It's in there. I gave up looking. Spurrier looks really sharp in this game. I get a kick out of watching him do the backpedal dropback.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
It's in there. I gave up looking. Spurrier looks really sharp in this game. I get a kick out of watching him do the backpedal dropback.

31:30 mark. It was a myth that Smith's pants were falling down. It was an illusion due to his high-riding clean white hip pads.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That's the one. Great memories. Ray Graves was going to retire before the 69 season until he saw the Frosh class. Stayed for 9-1-1.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Man what a great thread for reliving great Gator memories! Hopefully we have a few dominant ones this year.

Y’all remember when 3rd and 18 was just another down ;)

Go Gators, Beat EveryfreakinBody

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
no video of Lane Fenner. Just still photography. AND does not show if he had control. It looked Larry was losing them but the hip pads were riding up I heard.
With the aid of a few crucial blocks, Smith was able to carry the ball 94 yards for a touchdown. Halfway through the rush, Smith's pants began to slide down. Luckily for him and Gator fans, he was able to make it to the end zone before his pants slid completely off. It is important to note that there was some controversy as to whether or not it was his pants that were falling down.

“The true story is going to come out now,” Smith once proclaimed when discussing the infamous play. “My pants never came off. My hip pads slipped a little bit, but my pants did not. It was more of an illusion.”

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
no video of Lane Fenner. Just still photography. AND does not show if he had control. It looked Larry was losing them but the hip pads were riding up I heard.

There is video. See below.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Last play of the game UF vs Ky 1991. Ky Incomplete pass in the end zone as the clock runs out to seal the first official SEC championship. Wait till next year was OVER.

OK I'm done. Not all of them were the most spectacular plays. But they were all hugely important plays. I'll never forget any of them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I find it odd that out of DW's 114 TDs, you choose the one vs Kintucky which followed several turnovers by him which almost cost us the game.

Not even one of his top 10 imo.

How about one of the many in the Sugar Bowl or the 4 SECGs?

I also find it hilarious that you have ANYTHING from 2010 forward. All time great UF play? On those shytty teams? Really?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Last play of the game UF vs Ky 1991. Ky Incomplete pass in the end zone as the clock runs out to seal the first official SEC championship. Wait till next year was OVER.

OK I'm done. Not all of them were the most spectacular plays. But they were all hugely important plays. I'll never forget any of them.

I’ve often referred to that game as an overlooked win in our history. My grandfather was 71, and like many other long time Gators, he’d never seen us win and keep an SEC crown. Being there for that, and seeing those faces as priceless.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Doug to Quezzie is the best play from Greatest Game Ever Played in the Swamp. My head nearly hit the ceiling.
Spikes hitting Moreno and Tebow running over the FSU LB that talked **** before that game were really great.
I'm looking forward to a bunch of Sweet 6 yard check downs this year !

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I find it odd that out of DW's 114 TDs, you choose the one vs Kintucky which followed several turnovers by him which almost cost us the game.

Not even one of his top 10 imo.

How about one of the many in the Sugar Bowl or the 4 SECGs?

I also find it hilarious that you have ANYTHING from 2010 forward. All time great UF play? On those shytty teams? Really?
I'm intentionally keeping this recent to ensure everyone gets involved.

Feel free to add your own takes.

You think Doering didn't make better catches? Of course he did. It's nothing but a subjective poll designed to get people involved. I acknowledged as much in the OP.

If I had chosen plays only on the basis of degree of difficulty, you'd be complaining about the Debose videos. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.