GCMB Poll: Greatest UF football player ever

Who is the greatest UF football player of alltime?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The question wasn't "who was the greatest Gator leader of all time," or "who was the best Gator college football player in the college game just in college of all time?" It was "Who was the greatest UF football player of all time?" That's not Tebow, in my perfectly sober opinion. He was inaccurate, slow to deliver the ball, and his physical strength as a runner in college covered for his weakness in decision-making. That was exposed at the next level. Emmitt Smith was a better football player. Did he play a harder position? Who cares, that wasn't the question. What you're doing here is creating a moving target so the only answer is "Tebow." Now it's, "who was the best UF football player in the college game who played quarterback and got lots of attention during the social media era." If you want me to answer that remarkably stupid question, I'll be happy to. It was Tebow. But there isn't an NFL team in history who would take him over Jack Youngblood, Emmitt Smith, Wilber Marshall, or about a hundred other football players who wore orange and blue, and they would be right.

Feel free to call me drunk again. I really don't care. Drunk or sober, my opinion is not yours. I expect you will manage, at some point in your life, to learn to deal with that.
You're the one who seems to be moving the goal post. The question was "Who was the greastest to play at UF". Not who had a better pro career. Tebow holds a sh!tload of records at UF for being such a slouch as you would suggest. The guy could have moved to middle linebacker and been an All American if he wanted to.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In order to determine the correct answer, we're going to need to start seeing everyone's work using the actual percentages in the OP.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're the one who seems to be moving the goal post. The question was "Who was the greastest to play at UF". Not who had a better pro career. Tebow holds a sh!tload of records at UF for being such a slouch as you would suggest. The guy could have moved to middle linebacker and been an All American if he wanted to.

"Who is the greatest UF football player of alltime?"

Not really sure where your wording is coming from.

I don't think Tebow was a slouch. I also don't think he was the greatest UF football player of all time.

You disagree.

Cool.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm trying to figure out why "national attention" is part of being the best football player, rather than just being points added to put a thumb on the scale for Tebow. Tebow was a beyond-great leader and a good college quarterback. Danny was a great leader and a great college quarterback. Spurrier was a great leader, a great college quarterback, and a beyond-great game-changing coach.

But the best football player to every play at the University of Florida? None of them were as good on the field as Jack Youngblood, Emmitt Smith, Wilber Marshall, or Wes Chandler. Or Lomas Brown, who isn't on the list.

It's not. I was trying to make readers think more about their response and hopefully invite more discussion. If we're weighing just measurables, conduct off the field is just as irrelevant.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more shocked how many people trout Tebow as the best thing ever, acting like Wuerfell did nothing during his time as a Gator. They both have a Heisman, they both won a National title as a Starter, and both were perfect quarterbacks for the system they ran. Some of the people trouting Tebow either don't remember, were old enough yet, or disregard how great Wuerfell was. Maybe it is how Spurrier handled quarterbacks, or the change in how the media builds guys up now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more shocked how many people trout Tebow as the best thing ever, acting like Wuerfell did nothing during his time as a Gator. They both have a Heisman, they both won a National title as a Starter, and both were perfect quarterbacks for the system they ran. Some of the people trouting Tebow either don't remember, were old enough yet, or disregard how great Wuerfell was. Maybe it is how Spurrier handled quarterbacks, or the change in how the media builds guys up now.
Because people weigh the ingredients of greatness differently. Some see Tebow for his unusual physical prowess, others for his leadership. That's on the surface.

What's beneath it, and a bit more slippery, is the media image he was built up to be, only to have that be inevitably torn down because in his "perfectness" people saw their own imperfections.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'm trying to figure out why "national attention" is part of being the best football player, rather than just being points added to put a thumb on the scale for Tebow. Tebow was a beyond-great leader and a good college quarterback. Danny was a great leader and a great college quarterback. Spurrier was a great leader, a great college quarterback, and a beyond-great game-changing coach.

But the best football player to every play at the University of Florida? None of them were as good on the field as Jack Youngblood, Emmitt Smith, Wilber Marshall, or Wes Chandler. Or Lomas Brown, who isn't on the list.
Spot on!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Crete nailed it...........go back and read his comparison of Danny and Timmy. I think the most dominant thing I ever saw was after Rexie came in against Maryland in the last SOS coached game. It was like first team against walk ons every drive till SOS called the dogs. I think the turtles were almost undefeated in that game................I was there and those Terp fans were WIRED............there biggest game since WW2

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Tebow was a slouch.
Wow. You don't think a guy that won a Heisman and took us all the way was a slouch? High praise indeed.

Wilber Marshall sucked at the next level, too. Does that take away what he did at UF? Of course not.

At the end of the day, you seem to have some kind of resentment for Tebow, something I can't imagine any Gator fan having. He accomplished everything there is to accomplish while he was here.

If we're talking about the most talented player ever, Percy Harvin has to be up there.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. You don't think a guy that won a Heisman and took us all the way was a slouch? High praise indeed.

Except, of course, you know I was responding to somebody who tried to put those words in my mouth. So why be intellectually dishonest and try to twist it into something different? You should be better than that, even if it means you don't get to win every argument.

And no, I don't have any resentment at all. I thought he was a wonderful college quarterback and an amazing leader (and said so, above). I just don't think that makes him the best football player to ever wear orange and blue. You seem to be having a lot of trouble dealing with that, and I don't know why.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wilber Marshall sucked at the next level, too. Does that take away what he did at UF? Of course not.

And you think I'm drunk?!?

Seriously, Ox, stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I am popping some hydrocodone and can't remember (and I don't want to go back thru 8 frickin' pages)... but did we trot out any statistics?
Hard to put leadership into that box, but here are some stats:

Here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career passing yards.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 13,166 2010-13
2. David Greene Georgia 11,528 2001-04
3. Chris Leak Florida 11,213 2003-06
4. Peyton Manning Tennessee 11,201 1994-97
5. Eric Zeier Georgia 11,153 1991-94
6. Danny Wuerffel Florida 10,875 1993-96
7. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 10,354 2000-03
8. Eli Manning Ole Miss 10,119 2000-03
9. Casey Clausen Tennessee 9,707 2000-03
10. Bo Wallace Ole Miss 9,534 2012-14

And here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career touchdown passes.

Player School Passing TDs Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 121 2010-13
2. Danny Wuerffel Florida 114 1993-96
3. Peyton Manning Tennessee 89 1994-97
T4. Chris Leak Florida 88 2003-06
T4. Tim Tebow Florida 88 2006-09
6. Eli Manning Ole Miss 81 2000-03
7. Andre Woodson Kentucky 79 2004-07
8. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 78 2000-03
T9. Rex Grossman Florida 77 2000-02
T9. AJ McCarron Alabama 77 2010-13

But to put it another way:

Touchdown responsibility: Tebow shattered Danny Wuerffel's SEC career record, but he did not break the NCAA major-college record (henceforth, all references to the NCAA are to its top division of football), although another Senior Bowl QB did.

Tebow accounted for 145 TDs at Florida -- 88 passing and 57 rushing -- to finish 23 ahead of Wuerffel, who had held the SEC record of 122 (114 passing and eight rushing) compiled from 1993 through 1996. In turn, Wuerffel was 21 ahead of the next-best mark of 101 achieved by both Peyton Manning at Tennessee and Chris Leak at Florida. To look at it another way, Tebow accounted for 50 percent more TDs in his career than all but three players in SEC history.

What about overall Career Passing efficiency rating?

Passing Efficiency Rating

• Since 1956
  • Minimum 700 pass attempts
Rk Player Rate From To School
Tim Tebow* 170.79 2006 2009 Florida
2 Johnny Manziel* 164.05 2012 2013 Texas A&M
3 Danny Wuerffel 163.56 1993 1996 Florida
4 A.J. McCarron* 162.54 2010 2013 Alabama
5 Aaron Murray* 158.61 2010 2013 Georgia
6 Ryan Mallett* 158.11 2007 2010 Arkansas
7 Connor Shaw* 155.94 2010 2013 South Carolina
8 Chad Kelly* 152.32 2013 2016 Ole Miss
9 Jason Campbell* 148.20 2001 2004 Auburn
10 JaMarcus Russell* 147.94 2004 2006 LSU
11 Peyton Manning 147.11 1994 1997 Tennessee

An asterisk (*) after a player's name indicates bowl stats are included

Three main takeaways from all this discussion:

1. It's a very subjective argument - like saying "I bet the '70's era Steelers could beat the 90's era Cowboys". And while I believe that is certainly 100% factually accurate - some would disagree with me saying: different systems, different times.
Yep...true.

2. Peanut Head finished behind at least one Gator in every category above... :loser:

3. **** uga

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And you think I'm drunk?!?

Seriously, Ox, stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.
He was a flop. And you're the one that called Tebow "no slouch". Tebow is the greatest Gator, closely followed by Danny. Emmitt is ranked somewhere between 60 and 90.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He was a flop. And you're the one that called Tebow "no slouch". Tebow is the greatest Gator, closely followed by Danny. Emmitt is ranked somewhere between 60 and 90.
So what are your thoughts on Tebow's prowess as a professional football player if you think Wilbur Marshall was a flop?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He was awesome. Unlike you, I didn’t root against him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, if he wasn't a flop, he sure caused one. I mean, holy crap.

wilber-marshall-o.gif

Wilber-marshall.jpg

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Wilber was a flop? You're ridiculous. Just patently ridiculous.

As for your pronouncement as fact that Tebow was the greatest ever, please learn the difference between fact and opinion because, yes, you're really making a fool of yourself here. And note, please, the question wasn't "greatest Gator," but best UF football player.

Also, you're totally exposing yourself as a pre-teen fanboy with your insistence that anybody who doesn't think Tebow was the most bestest coolest ever is a hater. It's possible to think he was a great Gator without thinking he was the best UF football player ever. Twelve year old girls don't feel as strongly about Justin Bieber.

To summarize, I'm laughing at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator