GCMB Poll: Most dangerous UF running back ever

Who was the second "most dangerous" UF running back?

• Neal Anderson (1982-1985)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Errict Rhett (1990-1993)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • John L. Williams (1982-1985)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Fred Taylor (1994-1997)

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Ciatrick Fason (2002-2004)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Jimmy DuBose (1972-1975)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Earnest Graham (1999-2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tony Green (1974-1977)

• Jeff Demps (2008-2011)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • James Jones (1979-1982)

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not named Emmitt Smith or perceived to be Percy Harvin, mainly because he ran from the slot.

Not best but rather most dangerous. That'll at least make everyone think a little through their Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you mean by "most dangerous"
We talkin Chris Rainey most dangerous? "TIME TO DIE" :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff Demps?:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
Most dangerous to our chance of scoring? JEFF DEMPS is a FOOTBALL PLAYER and pounding the middle with Demps was the beginning of our 90th or worse ranked offenses. If Jeff Demps were on the field now, or on the field with Zook or SOS, he'd be playing CB.

James Jones, most dangerous with a microphone? Love James Jones.

Well, even absent Emmitt Smith, I think the #2 spot is just as obvious as #1. The rest of those guys, except Demps, were guys that you could feed the rock 30 times and watch them take over the game. All Gator greats.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No Percy? Huh? I know he was a wide receiver but he was probably most dangerous as an HB.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you consider Percy a RB, then you can close this thing up.
Rhett was probably my favorite, based on me seeing him in more live games than any other UF RB, UGA games really come to mind.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No Percy? Huh? I know he was a wide receiver but he was probably most dangerous as an HB.

He was included in the wideout poll. Can't be both places.

Or can he?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was included in the wideout poll. Can't be both places.

Or can he?

I think you give me both places. I think while you're at it put Tebow in there. There had probably never been a better chance to get a first down than when you rushed the ball with him in the history of college football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you give me both places. I think while you're at it put Tebow in there. There had probably never been a better chance to get a first down than when you rushed the ball with him in the history of college football.

But the poll is over running backs, not runners. I can possibly see Harvin because the slot is hybrid, but Tebow? That's stretching it. Not taking away from his running ability, but I'm trying to keep the oranges with the oranges.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Darn good question.
Dubose was before my time.
My knee Jerk reaction would be to say Neal Anderson because he was so important to the offense for those teams.
Conversely I'd rule out any of Spurrier's backs because the only "danger" was them adding to an already lopsided score.
That's a damn good group of RBs but since you said "most dangerous" I'd reluctantly have to say Jeff Demps because of his speed once he got past the line he was in danger of scoring every time. Intersting to see what others say.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Percy was the most likely to take it to the house, but he only carried a handful of times a game.

You win games by having a power back who can get that 3rd and 2. Tebow and Fred Taylor were both superb at that.

I agree that Tebow was the best running back of the 2000s.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, I need to know your definition of dangerous. Is it more taking it to the house or converting on third-and-3?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not named Emmitt Smith or perceived to be Percy Harvin, mainly because he ran from the slot.

Not best but rather most dangerous. That'll at least make everyone think a little through their Rubik's Cube.
No question Taylor....Why? Because he could bust off a 60 yard dagger....Or bust your chops on a 6 yard burst....No disrespect for any of the others as they were all pretty good...John L. was another fav as was Graham.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most versatile? Without question, John L. Williams.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, I need to know your definition of dangerous. Is it more taking it to the house or converting on third-and-3?
Harvin was just a turbocharged Elijah Williams, far faster but even more unreliable and fragile, a nice changeup but not the guy who wins the games for you. Without that Tebow, Fred Taylor, or other power back, you LOSE games, ask Creyer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most versatile? Without question, John L. Williams.
Runner up, my man Terry Jackson. Who else could be a championship MVP as a tailback, play LB for the better part of a year, play FB, and have the hands to play WR?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TT was the greatest 3rd down player ever in CFB, no doubt and no discussion....Money with his legs and sometimes his arm although a lot of haters will never admit it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TT was the greatest 3rd down player ever in CFB, no doubt and no discussion....Money with his legs and sometimes his arm although a lot of haters will never admit it.

How much of that is attributable to his running from the shotgun or pocket and how much to simply being a great third-down back? Just being the QB makes defenses have to respect the pass.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
How much of that is attributable to his running from the shotgun or pocket and how much to simply being a great third-down back? Just being the QB makes defenses have to respect the pass.
Not sure....I just felt like giving Tebow some love:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I think that is exactly the opposite. His marginal passing was made better by their utter fear of his running game. There aren't any QBs and few RBs who can HURT All SEC LBs and strong safeties and run through 2 or 3 like clockwork. Those defenders did not want to get looped on ESPN getting trucked by Tebow, and he did it pretty much every week. Therefore they cheated up and tried to get him before he got a head of steam.

He hit a lot of big passes on third and short when everyone sucked into the box and he threw long.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb