GCMB Poll: Most influential Florida football coach

Which coach had the biggest influence on Florida football?

• Bob Woodruff (1950-1959)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Urban Meyer (2005-2010)

• Charley Pell (1979-1984)

• Jack Forsythe (1906-1908)

• Doug Dickey (1970-1978)

• Galen Hall (1984-1989)

• Dr. J. Wayne Reitz and the guy who hired him, etc., etc. etc.

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't simply about wins and losses, or necessarily even titles, but in terms of what did the coach do to positively change and influence the program and move it forward. So if you were going to sarcastically drop a vote for Muschamp over "influence," you can forget it.

The goal here is to make you think long and hard before answering.

BTW, Forsythe became Florida's first football coach in 1906. Per Wiki:

In 1905 the Florida Legislature passed the Buckman Act, which reorganized higher education in Florida. The University of Florida in Lake City was merged with three other institutions to form the new "University of the State of Florida", a school for white men. Florida State College became the Florida Female College, a school for white women, and a number of its former male students transferred to the new university.

Galen Hall probably doesn't belong on the list, but I put him in there anyway. A very good coach, esp considering the awful circumstances under which he took over in '84, but probably not what you would term influential. Same even more for Dickey and yet it was an influential period. Pell I view as more influential than either of the aforementioned for what he did to turn around a moribund program and personally sell the overhaul of Florida Field. That's pretty big in my view.

I've about run out of poll subjects other than worst poster, which would give me a leg up on the competition.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SOS. Period.

/thread

Meyer was never more than a mercenary and never cared about UF no matter how much BS came out of his mouth. Still appreciate the NCs tho.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty obvious answer. It'll be interesting to see opinions on how Pell and Meyer changed the program. You can't deny their efforts. But for the longest time, the goal, the seemingly unattainable goal, was winning the SEC.

Spurrier didn't just attain it, he made us own the SEC, and in a manner that was over-the-top arrogant. We didn't just tell you we were gonna beat you. We'd hang 35 in the first half and coast the rest of the day.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ray Graves changed the culture. Brought SOS to the program. 1st New Years Day Bowl games.
He beat the Bear at his place. SOS and the super sophs were his glory teams.
Pell got the Bullgators to donate much needed money and upgrade the facilities. I will say his upside almost negated the downside but the NCAA just hammered the sh#t out of us for doing what all those other ckcsckers were doing in the SEC.
SOS made us a household name and ended the misery. He made all the previous misery worth it with his style and wins.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pell was a ****ing crook. SOS came in and showed you didn't have to cheat like Clemson to win at UF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pell was a ****ing crook. SOS came in and showed you didn't have to cheat like Clemson to win at UF.

Paranoia and time spent in Tuscaloosa under the Bear convinced him of the need to cheat. He didn't need to. He was a great recruiter and he assembled a great coaching staff. I'm convinced he'd have won a title here had he not cheated.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I voted for Ray Graves even though he was before my time. He's the one responsible for bringing SOS to Gainesville, so without him SOS isn't even in the conversation and it's possible we still have the rich tradition of UK in football.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I voted for Ray Graves even though he was before my time. He's the one responsible for bringing SOS to Gainesville, so without him SOS isn't even in the conversation and it's possible we still have the rich tradition of UK in football.
What about the guy that hired Graves? Without him there is no Graves and no Spurrier...

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
SPURRIER! He showed us just how powerful and dominant a program UF COULD and SHOULD be, showed us how big we could win, brought us our first SEC title, first NC and set the standard for all coaches thereafter.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What about the guy that hired Graves? Without him there is no Graves and no Spurrier...

That would be J. Wayne Reitz. The problem is most people here are gonna remember Reitz for lunch and ping pong. So our most influential football guy hosted lunch and ping pong.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, Reitz got his BA from Colorado State. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pell did put us on the map but we saw how that ended. It does surprise me how many people in FL that aren't Gator fans don't realize the good years we had under Pell and think we never hardly did anything until Spurrier arrived.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
BTW, Reitz got his BA from Colorado State. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Oh shat, that means when we do this poll again from our assisted living facilities in 35 years we're gonna have to vote for McElwain? Damn, if he wins that big, I'm all for it!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh shat, that means when we do this poll again from our assisted living facilities in 35 years we're gonna have to vote for McElwain? Damn, if he wins that big, I'm all for it!

hypnowheel.gif

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Ray Graves changed the culture. Brought SOS to the program. 1st New Years Day Bowl games.
He beat the Bear at his place. SOS and the super sophs were his glory teams.
Pell got the Bullgators to donate much needed money and upgrade the facilities. I will say his upside almost negated the downside but the NCAA just hammered the sh#t out of us for doing what all those other ckcsckers were doing in the SEC.
SOS made us a household name and ended the misery. He made all the previous misery worth it with his style and wins.
SOS may seem, at first blush, to be the obvious answer, but Ray Graves absolutely must be in the conversation. I almost want to call this a tie.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pell did put us on the map but we saw how that ended. It does surprise me how many people in FL that aren't Gator fans don't realize the good years we had under Pell and think we never hardly did anything until Spurrier arrived.

And you don't even realize that Graves did far more to put Gator football on the map than cheating Charlie did. Pell was only here a very few years, one of which was winless.

Pell also singlehandedly saved the girls school place at the football table by getting us put on tv and cumulative scholarship probation for years. The girls school would have dropped football had Jim Smith not personally given them a financial guarantee is how bad their finances were after Jones and Mudra.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Had to give it to Pell. For putting us on the map, for all the fun we had, because he was the coach while I was at Florida, and because his team won our first (and 2nd) SEC championship. But mostly, and this is the real reason, because goon does't like Pell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator