GCMB Poll: Most influential Florida football coach

Which coach had the biggest influence on Florida football?

• Bob Woodruff (1950-1959)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Urban Meyer (2005-2010)

• Charley Pell (1979-1984)

• Jack Forsythe (1906-1908)

• Doug Dickey (1970-1978)

• Galen Hall (1984-1989)

• Dr. J. Wayne Reitz and the guy who hired him, etc., etc. etc.

• Total voters

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had to give it to Pell. For putting us on the map, for all the fun we had, because he was the coach while I was at Florida, and because his team won our first (and 2nd) SEC championship. But mostly, and this is the real reason, because goon does't like Pell.

:lol:
Pell was fine, he just shouldn't have got caught and set us back years.....The NCAA wanted his ass at Clemson and just followed him to us, knowing it was just a matter of time.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
Pretty obvious answer. It'll be interesting to see opinions on how Pell and Meyer changed the program. You can't deny their efforts. But for the longest time, the goal, the seemingly unattainable goal, was winning the SEC.

Spurrier didn't just attain it, he made us own the SEC, and in a manner that was over-the-top arrogant. We didn't just tell you we were gonna beat you. We'd hang 35 in the first half and coast the rest of the day.

Absolutely! It was said that we had the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest. SOS gave us a justification for our arrogance!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely! It was said that we had the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest....
I'm glad Butters doesn't play Wake Forest. I don't like our odds, I think they are often ranked and they beat the Clowns.

Last edited:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is close. Graves put us on the map, SOS put us on top of it....he wins by a nose.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well certainly it is Spurrier as I voted, if you are talking about influence on UF. Though not a coach at UF John J. Tigert was a coach elsewhere and while at UF helped create grant in aid (ie sports scholarships) and the Southeastern Conference. That is pretty infuential in college sports in general.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does Spurrier have the financial support and the upgrades without Pell changing how the University raised money or upgrade facilities. Pell's changes on the backside of the athletic offices changed the game for UF. He changed the way of thinking of how to raise money which increased the cash exponentially. Spurrier changed perception on the field, but Pell had a lot to due with changing the how the organization was run to allow Florida to truly change with the times (which Foley didn't see dynamic shift in the 00's) to allow Florida to go from sleeping giant to realization. Spurrier created the Florida brand as coach, but do we get Spurrier without the changes Pell made

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I chose SOS for his on field and media effects. If I remember correctly Pell started the support system that provides a lot of the money that all our programs use to attempt to be championship type programs producing champions on the field, off the field and throughout their lives after they no longer attend UF.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pell brought in some attitude, bodies and mindset that threw the 'wait till next year' monkey down the South end zone ramp and trample it.

SOS transformed the League and every school stadium saw what was then the Greatest Gator Show on Earth... Fun & Gun with a Heisman.

M3 show cased us as the Read Option works in the South too... preacher to murderer... Prime Time & a Heisman.

Damn we're spoiled, lol... can't wait for the next great Era! Go Gators!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does Spurrier have the financial support and the upgrades without Pell changing how the University raised money or upgrade facilities. Pell's changes on the backside of the athletic offices changed the game for UF. He changed the way of thinking of how to raise money which increased the cash exponentially. Spurrier changed perception on the field, but Pell had a lot to due with changing the how the organization was run to allow Florida to truly change with the times (which Foley didn't see dynamic shift in the 00's) to allow Florida to go from sleeping giant to realization. Spurrier created the Florida brand as coach, but do we get Spurrier without the changes Pell made

:doh:

How do you suppose we hired Dickey away from 2 SEC Championships at Tinercee and Pell away from Climpson?....jfc

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:doh:

How do you suppose we hired Dickey away from 2 SEC Championships at Tinercee and Pell away from Climpson?....jfc

The way we managed fund raising after Pell came compared to before he came is night and day. There is no argument on it. The Gator Nation was actually a term Pell used, to get the thinking away from only asking alumni for money. That Gator nation was not just alumnus but fans. Pell did a lot of really good reorganizing behind the scenes regardless of our personal feeling about him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats just an impossible idea today.

Instigator, Rev, 2222 and others would say coaches at other Power Conference teams are not "available" to us now. Only Sunbelt and Wac coaches are in our price range currently.

I have no clue why but apparently we are banned from hiring those guys now.

Last edited:

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
I grew up rooting for my father's school, it's just what young boys do. So my history as a Gator is shorter than most.

It wasn't until my brother started attending UF, in SOS last season, that I started following the Gators. When I later was blessed to became a Gator in the middle of the Zooker era, it was too late to get the true exposure to Spurrier's brilliance that most of you received. Still, even I know that Spurrier put us on the map as a national powerhouse and transformed our brand. He wins in a landslide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.