GCMB Poll: Rate the top UF quarterbacks

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another crappy offseason poll brought to you by Mr. Bored.

My top 5.

1) Danny Wuerffel
2) Tim Tebow
3) Rex Grossman
4) Steve Spurrier
5) Chris Leak

Noticeably absent: Kerwin Bell, John Reaves

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we should expand this to a bottom five, too. That would be fun.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another crappy offseason poll brought to you by Mr. Bored.

My top 5.

1) Danny Wuerffel
2) Tim Tebow
3) Rex Grossman
4) Steve Spurrier
5) Chris Leak

Noticeably absent: Kerwin Bell, John Reaves
1. Wuerffel (4 time champion) Tebow (2 time champion)
4 Leak (champion despite OC) SOS (Heisman)
5 Grossman

BTW there are too many variables. If you told me who the OC was Id tell you which QB Id pick.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Wuerffel (4 time champion) Tebow (2 time champion)
4 Leak (champion despite OC) SOS (Heisman)
5 Grossman

BTW there are too many variables. If you told me who the OC was Id tell you which QB Id pick.

Grossman #5?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. Danny - 4 straight SEC titles
2. Tebow - enough said
3. Spurrier - the one who brought us relevance, long before coaching
4. Leak - so many OC's, yet helped win a title
5. Peace - most underrated in Gator history IMHO.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
My top 5
1. Wuerffel
2. Tebow
3. Grossman
4. Mathews
5. Leak

Bottom 5

1. Douglas
2. Harris
3. Driskell
4. Martin
5. Brantley

Just making lists of guys I've seen play in my lifetime and who had started games, I'm sure I left some of the bad ones out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Danny - 4 straight SEC titles
2. Tebow - enough said
3. Spurrier - the one who brought us relevance, long before coaching
4. Leak - so many OC's, yet helped win a title
5. Peace - most underrated in Gator history IMHO.

40 picks vs. 34 TDs in Peace's four seasons. Liked him but couldn't pick him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My top 5
1. Wuerffel
2. Tebow
3. Grossman
4. Mathews
5. Leak

Bottom 5

1. Douglas
2. Harris
3. Driskell
4. Martin
5. Brantley

Just making lists of guys I've seen play in my lifetime and who had started games, I'm sure I left some of the bad ones out.

Matthews in place of his mentor. Interesting pick. He had great stats.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Matthews in place of his mentor. Interesting pick. He had great stats.

Like I said I'm just picking players that I saw play, I'm only 35 so my list will only involve players in the last maybe 27 years or so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its hard to do bottom 5. Are we talking backups too? Or guys who just played a game or two?

Im going to go by who was least likely to get us a first down and only list starters. Obviously the Trash and Provanchas of the world are worse than the guys in front of them who actually got on the field.
Extra credit to the QBs that in addition to being ineffective are also likely to give the game away with fumbles or ints.

Bottom 5
1. Jordan Reed- too dumb to remember the plays or the snap, despite playing the position for a year and there being so few plays in the playbook. Needed true freshman Trey to call the plays, has to be the worst. Remember the staff was whispering that he'd be the guy to make us forget Cam Newton.
2. Fat Dog- some of you wont like this but he was terrible, could barely throw a screen pass and was slower than a lineman. I know, all he did was hand off but if it's just his arm or legs, we don't get the first down ever.
3. Driskel- strong contender for #1 bc he did it for so long, those other guys were spot players. No other three year starter has sucked so thoroughly or so consistently given the game away, but I have to admit he is more likely to get a first down than the first two if he scrambled forward instead of backward.
4. Morninghweg- like Fat Dog just not an SEC talent in any way. Losing to GSU, nuff said.
5. Douglas- the Driskel of his day,turnover machine, but he didnt get three years as a starter. He could easily be #2, but he at least had legs.

Honorable mention Trey (maybe the worst passing QB to ever take a snap at UF), Sabelhaus (right behind Trey but couldn't run either), Murphy (right behind Trey as worst passing QB) and 2nd year Treon (he was as fvkked up mentally as Driskel by then). I know that some won't like putting a walkon like Fat Dog on the list or a virtual walkon like Mweg on the list, but I'm just rating them as to least likely to move the ball.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What do I do with him? Put him ahead of Champions and Heismans? Nah...

You called the 2001 offense our best ever in another thread a few weeks ago. I presume Grossman had a lot to do with that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said I'm just picking players that I saw play, I'm only 35 so my list will only involve players in the last maybe 27 years or so.

No disagreement. You actually made me rethink naming Leak at #5. Maybe it should be Matthews. Leak threw a prettier ball and led us to a national title, but Matthews' stats were better. And he was something of a groundbreaker because we'd never won the SEC.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
No disagreement. You actually made me rethink naming Leak at #5. Maybe it should be Matthews. Leak threw a prettier ball and led us to a national title, but Matthews' stats were better. And he was something of a groundbreaker because we'd never won the SEC.

Mathews was my second favorite QB behind Wuerffel

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Its hard to do bottom 5. Are we talking backups too? Or guys who just played a game or two?

Im going to go by who was least likely to get us a first down (playing in the system we were playing then). and only list starters. Obviously the Trash and Provanchas of the world are worse than the guys in front of them who actually got on the field.

Extra credit to the QBs that in addition to being ineffective are also likely to fumble or throw an int.

Bottom 5
1. Jordan Reed (too dumb to remember the plays or the snap, despite playing the position for a year and there being so few plays, has to be the worst)
2. Fat Dog
3. Driskel. (strong contender for #1 bc he did it for so long, those other guys were spot players. No other three year starter has sucked so thoroughly or so consistently given the game away)
4. Morninghweg. (like Fat Dog just not an SEC talent in any way)
5. Douglas. (the Driskel of his day but he didnt get three years as a starter)

Honorable mention Trey Burton, Murphy and 2nd year Treon.

God how could I forget about the guy who started and lost to Georgia Southern, he definitely should've been on my bottom 5.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You called the 2001 offense our best ever in another thread a few weeks ago. I presume Grossman had a lot to do with that.
I think I said potentially or perhaps most talented.

There were three good backs on the 1996 team. You see what happens with lack of depth on 2001.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tyrone Young was the worst ever that I can recall lining up behind center. He was forced into duty after about a dozen or so in front of him either failed or got injured. Went on to become a pretty dang good WR.
Will Grier was the best QB to ever play for the Mighty Gators. Don't believe me...ask Crete.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
1) Tebow
2) Wuerffel
3) Grossman
4) Leak
5) Spurrier
6) Trask

Users who are viewing this thread