GCMB Poll: Rate the top UF quarterbacks

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Another crappy offseason poll brought to you by Mr. Bored.

My top 5.

1) Danny Wuerffel
2) Tim Tebow
3) Rex Grossman
4) Steve Spurrier
5) Chris Leak

Noticeably absent: Kerwin Bell, John Reaves
Rex may have been the best but the most accomplished are 1,2 and 4 in your list. I like Chris in the there...........no I love Chris Leak.
Next 3 are Shane, John Reaves and Kerwin..............Shane reminded me of Leak. Only Leak didnt have SOS as his OC. Leak is the only non SOS QB to put up those SOS #s and UNDER 3 different OCs.................deserves way more love than he ever got.............
(and now the here comes the (couldnt have done it without Timmy rebutals)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rex may have been the best but the most accomplished are 1,2 and 4 in your list. I like Chris in the their............no I love Chris Leak.
Next 3 are Shane, John Reaves and Kerwin..............Shane reminded me of Leak. Only Leak didnt have SOS as his OC. Leak is the only non SOS QB to put up those SOS #s and UNDER 3 different OCs.................deserves way more love than he ever got.............
The shyt Leak went through was incredible.

Could you imagine sitting at the game prep table and having Dan Mullett walk in, explain that he knows you are an All American 3000 yard passer who is deadly accurate, but we are going to run the option?

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Rex may have been the best but the most accomplished are 1,2 and 4 in your list. I like Chris in the there...........no I love Chris Leak.

Without a doubt Leak is the most underrated QB we've ever had.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
What do I do with him? Put him ahead of Champions and Heismans? Nah...

Agreed, but it's worth noting that Rexy got completely robbed of winning the Heisman his sophomore year. At the time, no underclassman had ever won the award I believe and the establishment was not ready start at that time. Rex set the record for highest completion percentage (at the time) that year. The senior nebraska QB ended up winning it with far less impressive numbers (other than rushing). Disclaimer: I didn't use "the Google", so some of my info may be off...

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wuerffel was the best college quarterback I ever saw.
Tebow was the best college leader I ever saw play quarterback.
Grossman was the most NFL-ready quarterback to ever play at Florida. Reaves was second.
Spurrier was Florida's first great quarterback.
Bell was far better than he gets credit for - the last year he took a beating he never recovered from. People forget how great those mid-80s teams were
Matthews was absolutely reliable and the first to make Spurrier's system work.
Leak was a winner.

If I had to pick a top-5 among those, as college quarterbacks, they'd be:

1. Wuerffel
2. Tebow
3. Reaves
4. Grossman
5. Bell

Why? I think the first two are easy. But why Reaves over Matthews or Leak? Better arm, bigger gunslinger attitude. And why Reaves over Grossman? Gunslinger attitude just a bit better under control.

Why Bell, and not Spurrier or Matthew or Leak? Maybe bias, a nod to my own time, but he was really very good. He had all the throws, a fire that was amazing, and he won. The Auburn game wasn't just a great game, it is Top 5 Gator history.

But I'd take every single one of them over anybody who has played lately. And not in their prime. Now. I'd take a 71 year old Spurrier or a coked up 60-something Reaves over anything we've put on the field since Tebow.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I said potentially or perhaps most talented.

There were three good backs on the 1996 team. You see what happens with lack of depth on 2001.

What you wrote in the last poll.

They werent the best offense in UF history 96 was. 01 was probably better also though without the depth at RB at RB tha 96 had.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
5 favorites no particular order.
Tebow
Danny
Shane
Kerwin
Sexy Rexy

Spurrier before my time so no comment.
Leak would be in there for his accomplishments but I don't remember him as being exciting to watch.

Worst would be anybody since Tebow with Treon at the top of the list. Oh and Tyrone Young.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wuerffel was the best college quarterback I ever saw.
Tebow was the best college leader I ever saw play quarterback.
Grossman was the most NFL-ready quarterback to ever play at Florida. Reaves was second.
Spurrier was Florida's first great quarterback.
Bell was far better than he gets credit for - the last year he took a beating he never recovered from. People forget how great those mid-80s teams were
Matthews was absolutely reliable and the first to make Spurrier's system work.
Leak was a winner.

If I had to pick a top-5 among those, as college quarterbacks, they'd be:

1. Wuerffel
2. Tebow
3. Reaves
4. Grossman
5. Bell

Why? I think the first two are easy. But why Reaves over Matthews or Leak? Better arm, bigger gunslinger attitude. And why Reaves over Grossman? Gunslinger attitude just a bit better under control.

Why Bell, and not Spurrier or Matthew or Leak? Maybe bias, a nod to my own time, but he was really very good. He had all the throws, a fire that was amazing, and he won. The Auburn game wasn't just a great game, it is Top 5 Gator history.

But I'd take every single one of them over anybody who has played lately. And not in their prime. Now. I'd take a 71 year old Spurrier or a coked up 60-something Reaves over anything we've put on the field since Tebow.

Calling Grossman the most NFL ready of our passers isn't saying much. He was a turnover machine in Chicago.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm shockrd by this, but, I guess our expectations weren't very high back then.
He had serious tunnel vision. Especially in the red zone. Made for a good SI cover though:
wayne-peace.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator