GCMB Poll: Who was our most lethal kick returner?

Pick one

• Brandon James

Votes: 48 72.7%
  • John Capel (remember me?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Carroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andre Debose

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Percy Harvin

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Jeff Demps

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Antonio Callaway

• Lito Sheppard

• Jacquez Green

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Chris Rainey

• Total voters

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
James was an excellent punt returner b/c he had quick feet and could sidestep quickly. James was a below average KO returner b/c he did not have great straight ahead speed to get thru a seam quickly, but he was the best punt returner UF has ever had. KO return would be a guy like Debose who could speed thru the opening, but we have never had a KO returner that was very consistent.
you beat me by a second

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like others have said, James for punts, Debose for kick returns. Rainey may be second for punts.

While I remember every guy you listed, I didn't remember what they actually did verses my vague perception of them, perhaps extrapolated from a play or handful of plays.

John Capel
Capel accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators football team in 1998 and 1999.[1]

Capel played in every game as a true freshman in 1998, earning his only career start when the team opened with a three-receiver formation against South Carolina. He had two receptions for four yards and rushed the ball 11 times for 80 yards (7.3 avg) and a touchdown. He returned eight punts for 77 yards (9.6 avg) and 10 kickoffs for 274 yards (27.4 avg). Against Georgia he scored his first career touchdown, an eight-yard run. Against Syracuse in the Orange Bowl he returned three punts for 29 yards and two kickoffs for 37 yards.

As a sophomore in 1999, Capel again played in every game, listed third on the depth chart at flanker. He did not participate in spring football drills due to schedule conflicts with his commitments to the school's track team. He recorded nine receptions for 84 yards (9.3 avg) and 63 yards on nine carries (7.0 avg). He returned nine kickoffs for 141 yards (15.7 avg) and two punts for -3 yards. Against Alabama in the SEC Championship Game he rushed the ball twice for seven yards. Against Michigan State in the Citrus Bowl he recorded 109 yards on five kickoff returns with a long of 38 yards.

Capel did not play football in 2000, while he was competing as a sprinter on the U.S. Olympic team. After the Olympics, he decided to forgo his remaining NCAA college eligibility and entered the 2001 NFL Draft.

Capel tested positive for marijuana use at the 2001 NFL Combine, and was arrested a few months later for possession of marijuana.[2] He was selected in the seventh round (208th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears, but was released during training camp. He then spent part of training camp in 2002 with the Kansas City Chiefs, but was again released before the season.

John_Capel_College_Stats___College_Football_at_Sports-Reference_com.jpg

Bo Carroll
Bo_Carroll_College_Stats.jpg

Lito Sheppard
Lito_Sheppard_College_Stats.jpg

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
John Capel was by far the fastest and least intuitive returner in the history of the game.
Have you ever seen another return man routinely step out of bounds without a defender near him? Unbelievable.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I looked it up out of curiosity but Percy never returned KO's or punts while in college; however, he was an excellent KO return man in the NFL. He averaged 27.1 yards per return (only Demps' college stats are higher with an impressive 28.8), 4,127 yards, and 5 TDs (Demps only had 1 return TD). In Just Percy's 4 years with the Vikings he had 3,183 return yards, with an average of 27.9 per return, and 5 TDs. In his first two seasons he had over 2,000 return yards and 3 TDs, then he started getting injured a lot after that.

Chris Rainey had one really good year as a NFL return man, but his stats still weren't as good as Harvin's. James didn't do much in the NFL; however, I agree he was the best punt returner for us. Lito Sheppard only returned a few punts in the NFL but didn't do much. No one else on the list did anything of significance in the NFL.

So according to NFL success, Percy was our most lethal kick returner, but we never used him for that purpose.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It seemed like James was a foot or so or a not needed block in the back away from a TD on almost every punt return.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Percy didn't return many kicks while he was in college (I'm not sure if he returned any at all), but if he had, then he would have been even better than James judging by his NFL career.
Agreed

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Urban never had Percy return kicks because of what happened to Bubba Caldwell against UT in '05. We would never have known the name Brandon James otherwise, but he's my vote for the best we've had. Debose was pretty awesome, as well (when he was healthy).

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
John Capel had the best straight line speed of any gator I can remember. He couldn't play football for $hit, but could flat out fly. But as far as the poll I say James, and it's not close.
John and Bo could flat out fly. Both track boys. Bo had a little football skill.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot how incredible Brandon James was. Some of these returns are absolutely sick.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly can't for the life of me figure out how Brandon James wasn't on some NFL roster for a good decade or more as a specialty returner if nothing else. Dude would've been well worth the investment imo. He was special.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot how incredible Brandon James was. Some of these returns are absolutely sick.

OMG that was unreal. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how quick he got up the field. But Cooper chased by him in the last highlight :eek3:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OMG that was unreal. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how quick he got up the field. But Cooper chased by him in the last highlight :eek3:

Biggest difference between then and now -- how downright explosive we were with all that speed and ability.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothin' like a punt return for score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.