GCMB Poll: Worst UF football coach ever

Which UF coach bombed the most? (Won-loss record, years coached)

• Charlie Strong (0-1, 2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charley Pell (33-26, 1979-1984)

• Urban Meyer (65-15, 2005-2010)

• Galen Hall (40-18, 1984-1989)

• Total voters

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
I believe that Mac is a better overall coach, evaluator of talent, and program manager than the Chump. But, he's the worst freaking recruiter in the history of the world. And, that'll be the downfall of his tenure as our head coach.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp < Darnell < Dickey

worst----:----: My Generation Mirror :----:----best

Hall < M3 < SOS

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Worst of the worst:

Recruiter: McElwain
Game planner: Zook
In-game manager: Dickey
Zenmaster: Meyer, Muschamp (tie)
Ability to answer a reporter's question without sounding like he was reading direct from the Football Coaches Unabridged X's and O's Encyclopedia: Muschamp

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jimmy Fisher did it a couple of years later. I want to say it was against Pittsburgh. I think he had his bell rung on the previous play and was a bit out of it.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Stinky-Zook
Stinkier-Dickey
Stinkiest-muscramp

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Munson was the best announcer i ever heard except for some ACC announcer back in the 60s doing the ACC
basketball tournament. You felt like you were there, like with Munson.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Dickey. I liked the man. He was a gator and Gainseville boy.. He won it at UT and seemed the right pick. He was too nice in that time period and the players were having too much fun in Yon Hall back then. He had UGA beat one day for the SEC title and they crashed and burned. His team was loaded with speed and talent but I guess not heart. Up 27-10 over UGA they lost 42 (?) -27.
Worst loss ever except for the Lindsey Scott loss.............

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Chump destroyed a program that was once considered one of the best in the country. A program coming off the prestige of 2 National championships he turned into a laughing stock. Nobody can be as bad as Chump because nobody else can do the damage Chump did to UF.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The highly scientific criteria used to select candidates:
  • How bad off did he leave us?
Well by this criteria it was clearly Meyer. UF had THE program that was the envy of all of college football in 2001. Sure Zook too a little luster off of it, but it was still pretty much a fine program.

The Meyer trip was fun. Not unlike the exciting cousin taking you on a wild spring break trip. Of course when you end up with a felony conviction and can not get a professional job the rest of your life, the trip does not seem worth it. That sums up the Meyer years to me.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was working on a roof by the Suwannee River in the fall of 1985. The only game on was the SEC game of the week carrying Uga and Miss St (i think). The man ( a Yankee I believe) had the voice and ability to put you at the game, Like Lewis Grizzard, a dog for life, he transcended his allegiance and was an artist. He was a yankee so that tempers his dogness. Sh#T Herschel is the dog God and I will admit the mofo was the best I ever saw. Decent human being too. Vince Dooley can kiss my azzzz if that makes you feel better.
Originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Munson attended Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis and Minnesota State University Moorhead. While at MSUM, he played basketball as a center and guard and football as an end and tackle.[1]

Munson served as a United States Army medic in an Army Hospital during World War II.[1] Upon leaving the military, he spent all $200 of his mustering-out pay to enroll in a Minneapolis radio broadcasting school.[2] His first job was at a Minneapolis arena announcing the names of boxers and wrestlers for $15 a week.[3]

After an on-air job at the KDLR AM radio station in Devils Lake, North Dakota, Munson moved on to AM radio station KFBC in Cheyenne, Wyoming, as a sports reporter in 1946.[2] At KFBC, Munson met and became friends with co-worker Curt Gowdy.[4] At that time, Gowdy was also the football announcer for the Wyoming Cowboys. On January 1, 1946, Munson called the Sun Bowl between the University of Denver and the University of New Mexico for the Associated Broadcasting System.[5]Later in 1946, Gowdy took a job in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, as the announcer for a minor league baseball team and successfully recommended Munson as his replacement for the Wyoming Cowboys job. When Gowdy became a New York Yankees announcer in 1948, he recommended Munson again to replace him in Oklahoma City.[4]

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with Dickey just for the fact that he had an amazing array of talent on his teams and managed to lose anyway. The defense was always loaded with first rounders, and we had wideouts and running backs with unbelievable speed. Wes Chandler, Chris Collinsworth, Tony Green, Willie Wilder, Derrick Gaffney, Scott Brantley, David Little, etc., etc., etc. If you can't win with those guys, you are seriously lacking as a coach.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Munson was the best announcer i ever heard except for some ACC announcer back in the 60s doing the ACC
basketball tournament. You felt like you were there, like with Munson.

This couldn't be more wrong and on so many levels.....what little I had to hear of Munson always sounded like he was a horse's ass with the world's most grating voice.

Otis Boggs, Chris Schenkel, Curt Gowdy, Dizzy Dean....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.